Ireland experts needed

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland experts needed

Hi folks,
Just decided that we have about ten days to spend touring the Emerald Isle in May. This will be out first visit and I have just started researching the trip, which I tend to overdo, and am at quite a loss to know where to begin. From what I have read so far, there is so much to see and do I'm having trouble narrowing it down. When visiting somewhere new we have in the past tried to fit in too much. I am beginning to think we should try and not see it all but chose a few locations to do day trips from. So my dilemma is, from anyone who has been, if there are places one could use as a homebase for a few nights at a time and then move on, where would they be. We will most likely fly into and out of Dublin. I would really love to drive the coast of the whole island but don't know how feasible/practical that would be for 10 days. I would love to hear any suggestions or highlights that we should definitely not miss. Love castles, ruins, the sea, hills, history and charming towns - too much in too little time? Thanks for any input to get me on track!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hi
You choose a good time to go. We landed in Shannon and rented a car. We drove thru most of Ireland and staying in Bed and Breakfasts along the way. We only reserved the B&B for our first night the others we just came upon. One nicer than the next. The warmth and hospitality was wonderful. You would be surprised how many counties you can travel to in 10 days. Have fun!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM

We spent time in the Wicklow Mountains after flying into Dublin and had a great time. However, I prefer flying into Shannon as it seemed to give us more options.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

While I am not an expert, we did spend about 10 days in Ireland late June 2004. I have a complete trip report if you would like me to send it to you via email. We flew into Shannon and out of Dublin. We stayed at a different B&B/Guesthouse nearly every night, and truly hit the high spots. The trip report includes the places we stayed and some of the restaurants/pubs we ate in. My email is [email protected] if you would like a copy.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! Q - how long were you there? We don't mind driving so maybe trying to see alot in ten days isn't so crazy after all. I will look into the flights to Shannon as well which might make more sense. DebD my email is [email protected] if you wouldn't mind sending the trip report that would be great. Thanks again!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM

Also consider open-jaw ticket where you fly into one city and out of another, i.e. Shannon/Dublin or vice versa.

The last time we were in Ireland (Sept. 05) we flew into Shannon, toured Bunratty Castle and folk museum, drove to Cliffs of Moher and on to Killarney where we walked the national park, toured the Gap of Dunloe, drove the Ring of Kerry, and drove part of Dingle (not all on one day, obviously).Doolin is another popular spot for traditional Irish music and it's in the general Shannon/Cliffs of Moher area.

One of the best B&B's in Ireland, having won numerous awards, is Glasha Farmhouse, www.glashafarmhouse.com, located near Clonmel. After a fabulous breakfast, one can take day trips to Kilkenny, the Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Waterford crystal factory, Lismore, and the wonderful ruins of Jerpoint Abbey and Kells Priory, to name a few. Then we drove to Dublin where we took a walking tour and a tour of the Guinness brewery before flying out.

This is do-able in 10 days, maybe less.

Get a good map and a guide book and plan what you really want to see. Remember that although Ireland is small, the roads are narrow and one can only make about 35-40 mph average, so don't plan too much in one day.

You're gonna love Ireland!

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Hi
I was in Ireland for 10 days. Flying in and out of Shannon. We visited County Galway, Cork, Limerick. Also Ring of Kerry and Aran Islands. (favorite was a small town outside of Aran Islands called Doolan...great sea side spot and Tralee was fun place too!)We also drove to North to Belleek pottery for a tour. So many counties we visited in the 10 days...Make sure you get reliable car...we got two flat tires on the same day and at the same time!
Have fun planning, I can't wait to go back!
Q
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:57 AM
surfmum

take a look at cietours.ie this is an irish coach tour company.You may wish to join one of their trips & let someone else do the driving & organising somewhere to stay. If that doesn't appeal, their various iteneries will give you a good idea of what you could achieve travel wise each day.
B&B's in Ireland are fantastic. You won't have a problem finding somewhere to stay, even if you decide on a day by day basis.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM

I agree with the other posters who recommend flying open jaw using both Shannon and Dublin to avoid crossing the country twice in the time you have available. I'm no Ireland expert (I was there for six days in May), but I'll throw out a possible itinerary based on your interests. My recommendations are based on my experience (where applicable) and on the Lonely Planet Ireland Guidebook (an excellent resource).

Day 1 - Fly to Shannon. Drive to Limerick and visit King John's Castle. Drive to Adare. Overnight in Adare. Guidebook quote: "Picturesque ruins have made Adare a tourist honeypot and the wedding capital of the west of Ireland....Yet in spite of the cars, coaches, and crowds, Adare's remarkable medieval buildings are a delight."

Day 2 - Drive to Killarney. Visit the national park. Drive to Kenmare (very scenic drive). Overnight in Kenmare (a lovely town).

Day 3 - Either explore the Beara Peninsula or the Ring of Kerry. Return to Kenmare for the night.

Day 4 - Drive to Tralee. If the sky is clear, drive to Dingle via Connor Pass. Otherwise take the low road. Visit a pub for traditional music. Overnight in Dingle.

Day 5 - The Dingle Peninsula has many ancient archaeological sites and a truly spectacular coastline. Take the Slea Head Drive and explore to your heart's content. Visit a pub for traditional music. Overnight in Dingle.

Day 6 - Drive over Connor Pass (if the weather prevented your doing so before). Drive to Tralee and then to Tarbert. Take the ferry across the Shannon River. Drive to Ennis. Visit a pub for traditional music. Overnight in Ennis.

Day 7 - Explore the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Drive to Kinvarra and visit Dunquaire Castle. Drive to Galway. You could return to Duquaire Castle for its medieval banquet. Overnight in Galway.

Day 8 - Drive to Dublin. Turn in your rental car at the airport. Buy a three-day Rambler pass (E10.00) that allows you to take the Airlink bus between the airport and the city and gives you unlimited rides in the city. Explore as time allows. Overnight in Dublin.

Day 9 - Visit Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. Explore on foot. Attend the theatre. Overnight in Dublin.

Day - Explore in the morning as time allows. Take the bus to the airport and fly home.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again one and all. I'm sure I will be back with more questions but for now, I sure have enough to get me started. Any recommendations for good guide books? (Other than Fodors of course.) I was looking yesterday and it was between Lonely Planet and Frommers that seemd to have the most comprehensive information. Thanks again Deb for your trip report. Cheerio everyone!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

LOL, thanks Tim, we were posting at the same time. Your info. is excellent and confirming the Lonely Planet is very helpful too! Appreciate your itinerary suggestions.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:35 AM

You're welcome. With your interests I should have suggested that on your drive from Galway to Dublin that you take advantage of having a car and drive north of Dublin to Trim and see the castle there and/or visit Newgrange. Then drive to the airport and turn in your car.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM

The AA have an excellent driving guide for ireland with several trips encompassing lots of sights. I would recommend Galway as a place to stop for a few nights. You can go south to explore the Burren and north to explore the Connemara.

Stop in at the Roisin Dubh for some great traditional music.

(http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/i...ay-roisin-dubh)

and check the ireland section of my site for a few other tips on places to go.

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/ireland

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Since you'll be driving, be sure you have detailed maps. While you can buy Ordnance Survey maps which divide Ireland into regions, I found that the Michelin Ireland map was detailed enough. It's available at amazon.com.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Here's a variation on my suggested itinerary. Spend only one night in Kenmare and skip the Ring of Kerry or Beara Peninsular tour. (Don't miss the Dingle Peninsula.) Then spend two nights in Galway instead of one. With your free day you could tour the Connemara or take a boat to the Aran Islands.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Well travel plans come and travel plans go. We are now down to seven days - flying into Ireland from London on Apr. 30 in the afternoon and leaving May 7th. Sooooo, my big question - is it worth still trying to get to Dublin or just should we just consider sticking to the SW and fly in and out of Shannon? I am getting overwhelmed by our options and are trying to maximize our visit without being in a car 24/7. Any suggested itineraries would be gratefully accepted. Certainly we want to see the Dingle area and had thought we would also like to do the Ring of Kerry - time permitting (which there doesn't seem to be much of anymore!). Thanks for any much needed help. I keep telling myself to 'simplify' but it's not working very well!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I'm certainly no expert. We're in the midst of planning our second trip. Our first was in 1982! But just to throw in my two cents...

You mention that you're flying to Ireland from London. I assume that means you'll be spending some time in London. Unless you're really city people, I'd suggest skipping Dublin.

Not that Dublin isn't a wonderful place to visit. But I just think that, as your time is limited, you'd enjoy it more if you fly in and out of Shannon and stay in the west.

When we went the first time, we were there 7 nights. We spent the first and last nights in Dublin. In between, we drove up and over to Donegal and then pretty much followed the western and southern coasts back to Dublin. We enjoyed it very much. And we got a taste of most of the country. But, in the course of planning this second trip, I'm realizing how many things we didn't see in each area. For example, we didn't see the Cliffs of Moher!

So this time, we're concentrating on a relatively small area. Of course, we're going to be there a shorter time too.

Anyway, JMHO!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Here are two more itineraries. One includes Dublin but omits the Ring of Kerry. The other does the opposite.

1 - Shannon, Limerick, Adare. Sleep in Adare.
2 - Drive to Dingle. Sleep in Dingle.
3 - Drive Slea Head. Sleep in Dingle.
4 - Drive to Ennis. Sleep in Ennis.
5 - Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, drive to Dublin. Sleep in Dublin.
6 - Tour Dublin.
7 - Fly home.

1 - Shannon to Ennis. Sleep in Ennis.
2 - Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Dunguaire Castle. Sleep in Ballyvaughan.
3 - Drive coastal roads to Dingle. Sleep in Dingle.
4 - Tour Slea Head. Sleep in Dingle.
5 - Drive the Ring of Kerry counterclockwise to Kenmare. Sleep in Kenmare.
6 - Drive to Killarney and Adare. Sleep in Adare.
7 - Drive to Shannon and fly home.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

As Cole Porter would say, "you're the tops"! CAPH52, you confirmed what I was thinking about skipping Dublin, although feeling guilty about it I now feel it would be justified. It is amazing what you saw in your 7 days though. TimS, thank you so much for both itin. suggestions. I think as CAPH52 said that as we are already spending time in London, Dublin can wait for another visit. I am really a country girl, with a little bit of city thrown in so would prefer to see more of the countryside anyway and I think the timing would be fine. Thanks one and all - I'll be back with more questions I'm sure!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Try the Rainbow Hostel in Dingle. I remember it being one of the coziest, friendliest places I stayed in Ireland. They have private rooms and good rates. 20 minute walk to dingle town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -