Reload this Page >

Ireland - Driving from Londonderry to Connemara

Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

We just arranged a very last minute trip to Ireland for April 26th and I have a couple questions....

We are landing in Belfast early in the morning from London, where we will have spent several days visiting family. Plan is to grab our rental car, have some food and drive to Derry for the night. The next day we would like to get over to the Connemara area and then spend 3 nights. I am thinking the drive will take a minimum of 5 hours????? I understand the roads are slow, (which is fine by us!) but I am wondering if my estimate is accurate. Otherwise we will need to rethink what time we leave Derry, or spend a night along the way.

Second question, any opinions if 3 nights in Connemara area then 3 nights in Galway area being adequate? We are not departing out of Dublin until Sunday, May 7 on an early morning flight back to LHR and planned to spend Friday and Saturday night in Dublin. We are leaving a few open days just for fun so if anyone has a suggestion I'd love the advice ��

Some things about us - we are experienced travelers, and are comfortable with right side drive. We are coming to Ireland just to get a taste (only 10 days there and will be back) and are not really into super touristy spots or tour groups, etc, so no Blarney Castle/Muckross House. We love driving, stopping wherever inspires us with the scenery, and are looking forward to exploring towns & villages as well as good food and drink. We also love all animals and birds so we are looking at options for falconry and/or sheepdog exhibitions.

Any tips, advice or feedback is most welcome!!
-Colleen
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:37 PM

http://www.falconry.ie/ at Ashford Castle. My favorite of the 3 hawk walks I have experienced in Ireland.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Do you have accommodations in Derry? I have a suggestion if not.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jaja, we are looking at Ashford right now as we speak! Love to hear any suggestions for Derry
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 04:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you pick up your car in Belfast and return in Dublin?
Westport is a great place to stay as well as Clifton.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Macross, we were able to book the car with pickup in Belfast and return to Dublin (it wasn't cheap though!).
I am looking at Clifton, would you know if 5 hours is a reasonable time to drive from Londonderry to Westport / Clifton?
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 03:33 AM

We once drove to the Connemara from Omagh, which is about the same distance as from Londonderry. We found the roads excellent, but we wanted to take our time and enjoy the ride, so we spent a night in Westport, which is a lovely town.

How many nights you need in each place depends on what you want to see and do there.
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 04:10 AM

I think it is a long drive and would stop in Sligo so you can enjoy the coastal road at least.
http://www.ireland.com/en-gb/article...league-cliffs/
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 04:56 AM

Just outside of Derry, near Limavady, Ballycarton House is just lovely: http://www.ballycartonhouse.com/ .
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 06:34 AM

Logistics.
Renting a British Car in Belfast and Dropping it in Dublin Ireland (Different Country) could limit choices and involve a repatriation fee.

Why not split the nights you have Connemara (Clifden) and Galway. so that you have a break between Derry and Clifden Make it 3 lots of 2 rather than 2 lots of 3. Sligo might be an ideal option.

Personally wouldn't entertain Ashford, possibly they wouldn't entertain me. Consider Sligo Falconry?
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 03:22 PM

Tony, to do the Hawk Walk at Ashford, you needn't actually go to the hotel but walk past it from the parking lot to the falconry. The hotel is certainly above my pay grade.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 02:35 AM

Just not fond of places that take it for granted people will flock there. Some reputations are given rather than earned.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice! I did notice the fee to drop the car in Dublin from Belfast.

I like the idea of splitting the nights in Connemara, now the question is to spend the first night in Sligo, Clifden or Westport from driving no in from Derry? Then I think the next 2 nights in Galway.....

Would the recommendation be to split the nights between Dingle and Killarney as well? We would like to do the coastal drives and see the national park. We would have 5 more nights to spend in the southern area before heading over to Dublin

Thank you for your advice
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 03:20 PM

I love Westport just to go to Matt Molloy's for music and chowder at West Bar. Crough Patrick is amazing, at least walk up to see the statue.

We stumbled on West Bar by accident mostly because there was room at the bar for five and I ate the best seafood chowder ever there. I looked them up and look what I found!

West Bar in Westport won the Seafood Category at this year’s 33rd International Polar Seltzer Great Chowder Cook-Off in Newport, Rhode Island.
Frank Walsh, co-owner of the West Bar, Westport, and newly married chef Rory McHugh and his wife Ivana, accompanied by Martin Shanahan, Irish TV personality and owner of the award-winning Fishy Fishy Café in Kinsale, travelled to Newport Rhode Island, Chowder Capital of the USA, to take part in the island’s annual Great Chowder Cook-Off.
They win the Ireland chowder contest apparently also.
JJ O'Malley's is good for dinner also.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 02:16 AM

1 night Dingle 2 nights Killarney and 1 night Cork makes 4 nights so use a night further north.

As I said earlier 3 lots of 2 could work for the earlier section and I would always go for Clifden over Westport.