ireland - car rental

Jan 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

ireland - car rental

YEA! We got a great rate -- I think -- on a car rental. It's $432 for 16 days insurance and second driver included. And that includes the airport surcharge and going to Northern Ireland. We have a compact manual car.
Jan 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Which company did you rent from and were you able to get CDW? I've been reading on another site that some MC/Visa's will no longer do CDWW. We're going in June
Thanks
Jan 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM

I have rented through a couple different agencies and the last two that I got a "great rate" from added an airport surcharge of 20E and they tell you to bring the car in with an empty tank and they charge for the gas. I questioned this last time and they said they just charge the prevailing rate. When I returned the car they had charged me almost 70E for the full tank and it cost me, at the most, 54E to fill it up when I was driving it. I objected at the time but got nowhere. So don't think that the $432 is the final total you will be charged. The only company I have dealt with that I paid exactly what I was quoted with was National Ireland here in California. Dan Montoya gives you the price in US and you pay before you go. No surprises. You just hand the paperwork to the counter and they do charge your credit card for a full tank of gas but then credit it back when you bring the car back full. Give Dan a call (800) 284-2354 and get a price and then call your rental agency back and ask about the surcharge and gas charge and taxes.
Jan 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

This is prepaid a month in advance and yes they charge for the tank of gas and refund it if brought back full - or so I was told.

This is with Dan Dooley and I called the person Pat Preston refers to on her WEB site for an additional 10% off.

They say they include the airport surcharge and the mandatory insurance -- still responsible for about 1,000 euros. Also a hold is put on the credit card for the deductible while you rent it -- that can be a problem for some people as , if you do not have a lot of credit you may have a problem using the charge cards over there -- that is not a problem for us but it is something to be aware of.
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:48 AM

That is a good rate, then, if it includes everything! Depending on the time of year, I have gotten as low as $25US/day but that's when I could have the CDW covered by my Mastercard.
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I was there in December and the only card that will work when declining CDW is the "World Mastercard". Call the rental car company at the airport you are flying to, to verify that they will accept this card.
The charge for the full tank of gas is unfair as it only cost me 55 Euros to fill the tank, and no matter how much you try you will not bring it back empty. The rental car company makes out on the fuel charge and on the what ever fuel is left over when you bring the car back.
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

I am sure the rental car company will make out on the tank of gas. I was told it would be refunded if brought back full but I am not going to count on that. However, even with a 100 euro charge for gas, this would bring the whole cost to around $565 and that is still less than any other rate I found. Assuming we use at least half the tank, then the rental is around $500 -- about $100 less than anyone else I saw. That ends up at about $31 per day everything included. And the second driver was $7 of that but I would not do this without both of us able to drive.

I did try to call Dan Montoya but got a recording. I will have to try to remember to call again -- if he can do better, then I would be interested.
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:05 AM
eri

Last time I reserved a car with Dan Dooley I wa surprised to arrive and discover that they were completely out of cars... I will never do bussiness with them again!!!
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Does anyone know of any car companys that rent to ppl under 25? I am 24 and noticed with places like Hertz etc. that they wont rent to u if you are under 25. Enterprise in Ireland will but there rate for 6 days is completly isane. Someone told me to try this Autoeurope.com company. Rates are good for automatic..also what is CDW that I keep reading about in regards to car rental?
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM

CDW is collision damage waiver, or auto insurance. It's very expensive in Ireland and very few cards cover the insurance. My MC business card (not a World MC) also still covers in Ireland for 31 days. Most business cards still cover.

Bill
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM

My son and his girlfriend went to Ireland two years ago and he was 24 turning 25 in 7 months. He found one place that would rent to him with an extra 12 Euro a day. When he got there, they did not charge him the extra. I think they might have just looked at the year of birth and did not realize he was not yet 25. I can't remember what the rental company was. I will see if my son remembers.