Sixt Irish Car Rental Limerick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beware of this one. When I came to pick up my car they took my credit card and put 1200€ security deposit which I was never told about on it and then told me the card was no good that the rental fee of 99€ had been refused when in fact it did clear for 1200€. I gave them another card and they put 194€ on that card. This was also pre pay gas which was double of what it would it would cost if I filled the car myself and was not at all the original quote sent to me. This is really sneaky and unethical. It ate up my credit card limit on the first card and I was really in a jam. They never told me they would take the 1200€. I found out later by accident when the card was refused. My advice is to really ask questions and insist on seeing the charge. Better yet stick with Avis or Hertz as Ireland is known for sleezy car rental dealers. There's nothing like a suprize unauthorized 1200€ charge on your credit card to make the day. To boot they were really unfriendly.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Even Hertz & Avis can get you. My TA booked my car in Belfast, Northern Ireland with Avis. When I walked up to the desk, the young woman only took a moment to say, "oh, we don't have your car so we switched you to Hertz". I wondered if it was the old switch and bait but was too tired to argue. When I went to Hertz, I told them that I wanted full insurance. He said it would be 800 GBS. I said $2000 and he said well, let me see what I can do...and was able to knock a whole 200 GBS off. I knew I was being ripped off but decided to let my TA handle it. As it turned out, I had to make a number of calls before I could get some of the money back. I know they were ripping me off and I will not accept a car until it has been straigtened out. Kathie
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM

You really have to do your research on car rental in Ireland. It is a big expense.

I spent 15 days in Ireland in September and all car rental companies that I researched on their web sites and talked with on the phone all charge a deductable. You really have to read the fine print. I rented from Dan Dooley and I took the CDW and the Super CDW which reduced the deductable from 1200E to 100 E deductable. Since I took both the CDW and Super CDW, they did not charge my credit card for the 100 E. I knew up front what the price was going to be.

When I picked up the car, it was exactly the same as my quote from them. The only decision I had to make was about the gasoline part.

I was very satisfied with Dan Dooley and the were very helpful and friendly.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Placing a hold - it wasn't a charge but a hold - on your credit cars is a pretty common practice.

I notice you registered to post this. Sorry you didn't know about insurance issues in Ireland. It won't help you after the fact, but if you had read threads here about rental cars and insurance you would have known how to handle it.

Perhaps you could tell us what you enjoyed (or didn't) about your trip to Ireland. That usually goes over better than registering to post a complaint and never coming back again. (But I doubt that is in the cards since this was posted in early Oct and mike hasn't been back -- but he did post this on several other websites)
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM

We rented a car in Ireland from Enterprise, booked online through www.enterprise.ie -- not the U.S. .com site. We got a better rate booking on the Ireland site and we didn't have to buy their insurance as we had a Master Card that insured in Ireland (not all of them do). There was a nominal hold on the credit card and we received the car with a full tank of gas, returning it full. The personnel at Dublin airport were friendly and professional and the whole experience was good. We can heartily recommend Enterprise in Ireland. Another plus, if you're over 70, Enterprise is one of the few that will rent to you.