renting a car in Ireland

Apr 19th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

renting a car in Ireland

I am going to Ireland for about 4 weeks in the Fall. I am going to rent a car. Does anyone know anything about the Mastrcard World card and their Auto Rental Ins ? I believe it covers the CDW ins....will I need any of the rental company's ins ? They also have Trip Cancellation/Medical ins...does anyone know exactly what this covers ? Does it cover tours, air fare, cottage rental, and car rental ? I have been unable to get this info from Mastercard or my bank....just general info....HELP
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM

All that banks know how to do is collect money and add-on fees. If you REALLY want to know what MC covers, call THEm - 1-800-MCASSIST

MasterRental has a short limit on foreign car rentals that you MAY excede on a four week trip. If it is a business account, coverage is longer.

If you wish to use ANY of the MC car coverage, you MUST decline ALL of the rental company's coverages.

But don't take the word of anyone on this forum -- INCLUDING me --

Call MasterCard.

Bob
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
GBC

Sorry for sounding negative but if you can't get the info you need how could you rely upon them in case you actually needed coverage?

For most of the credit card CDW type coverage, Ireland is a specific EXCEPTION (they don't cover in Ireland at all) so be sure that you have all the details.
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Hi Bobby:

You may need to contact 1-800 MCASSIST to get all of the data. As I remember, the phone tree is somewhat infuriating and in the end, I follwed the branch to make a claim to get an actual person.

Most MC business cards still cover CDW as do a couple of the World cards. I think there is one that doesn't have an annual fee. It was mentioned here once before.

You must also make sure that the rental agency accepts the credit card for coverage. If they do, you must decline the CDW offered by the rental company.

You'll want to VERY carefully examine your car for damage and perhaps take a few pictures if you find anything slightly blemished. They go over it much more carefully if there is a chance they can get someone else to pay for it.

This is a regualr topic here and is probably the single most frustrating part of traveling to Ireland.

Bill
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Bob makes a good point on the length of coverage. Business MC cards cover for 31 days. Most other cover for 15.

Bill
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Mine didn't cover Ireland either. If they do cover, make sure to get it in writing before you go and don't forget to pay with the right card!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:22 AM

Supposdly there are certain world master cards that usto cover the CDW insurance. I actually applied for one that usto cover it and when I called master card they told me that no master cards cover it anymore in Ireland. They just dropped the insurance in like January. I was just in Ireland last week and I got the super CDW insurance on my car through Europecar. It was an extra 12euro/day but worth it cause they dont put the 110euro hold on your card and if there is any damage, you are only in charge of 100euro of it!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM

It depends on the renatl agency. I was in Ireland in February and my MC business was accepted by Avis.

Bill