CDW Waiver for Ireland?

Search

CDW Waiver for Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDW Waiver for Ireland?

Can someone provide advice about getting the CDW insurance waived using your credit card?

Our credit card companies respond by saying "Yes, we'll provide CDW insurance but you must check with your rental car provider." The rental car provider says "Yes, but you must get a letter of coverage from your credit card co."

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Last year when I rented a car from AutoEurope, my CapitalOne platinum MasterCard DID include insurance coverage in Ireland through the MC-ASSIST Master Rental program and I was able to decline CDW coverage. However, recent posts on this board have announced that this is changing. Some people were told "yes" and others were told "no." Some reported that the final word belongs to the rental agency. To be certain, you'll probably need to do two things. First, get a statement in writing that your credit card covers driving in Ireland. Second, contact your rental car provider again and tell them you have the statement in hand.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM

For the last 4 years I've been able to report with authority on this. As Tim has pointed out, there may be changes in the works. Try calling 1800MCASSIST and when you hit the phone tree press the number that corresponds to reporting a claim. The other one just gets you a recording (as of May 06 anyway). They will probably tell you to either contact you bank or rental agency. I have a call in to find out from a rental agency if they can tell me what is going on. The change has been said to happen in September. If I hear more, I will pass it on.

Bill
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM

On the advice of Dan Dooley, our rental car company, we obtained a Diner's Club Card, which they allowed to waive the insurance. It cost $100, I think, but did give us another credit card option in case of emergence, and seemed to take care of the problem. It covered a longer period than several other cards, many of which will only cover you up to two weeks.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM

OK, I just got a call from the woman at Irish car rentals. She is a s nice as they come. This is currently the deal. Many rumors are surrounding this situation and nothing is yet confirmed. According to her, MCASSIST is indeed sending everyone to their banks and the banks seem to be saying no. She believes that MC world will continue to cover in Ireland. As far as Diners Club is concerned, she said that MC just bought them and that insurance may be going away. This all happens Sept 1st and whether or not you'll have coverage after that point is still a matter of debate. She did suggest that there is talk that if MC drops, Visa may pick it up.

I wouldn't show up without a letter at this point.

Bill
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Bill, there seems to be a problem getting a letter these days. I tried to get one before we went in March and was told by MC Global Assistance that they don't do that anymore. They told me to take the terms of service agreement (that may not be the correct title, but something along those lines). And there was a post on the other F travel site from someone who was having the same problem.

Maybe the rental car companies accept those instead of a letter. I don't know as we chickened out and paid for the CDW.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Adding to my previous post. My foggy memory just cleared enough for me to remember that Auto Europe was satisfied with a photocopy of the appropriate page in the MasterCard Master Rental Agreement. Fortunately, I had it filed away and was able to find it. I think it may be possible to view and print that agreement online.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I spoke with MC last week and they are sending me a letter stating that we can indeed waive the CDW and we are covered as long as we use that particular card. She said it would take about 2 weeks to get the letter.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM

I'm waiting to see what happens in September. I understand that getting a letter is hard. In the past, I've never had to show a letter. We'll see how it goes.

Bill
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Nobody is really talking at MasterCard. Everyone gets differing replies. They are keeping everyone in suspense till September. I just hope I have the time to get a new card if need be.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I'm one who booked my car in May, using my platinum Citi MC to waive the CDW. Fast-forward a month when I got my new benefits statement from Citi saying they were no longer covering Ireland! I called right away, since my trip is in 6 weeks and was told to call back 'at the end of August' to see if I can get grandfathered in. The new policy starts Sept 1 and my rental starts Sept 2. Of course! But I've prepaid for the rental with that card assuming I would not have to cover the insurance and now it looks like I'm stuck. If Citi won't cover the CDW I need a new prepaid voucher issued (Hertz O'Scannlin) which could take a couple of weeks to get to me, so I can't wait until the day before I leave to see if I have coverage! The worst part is that my $231 rental has now hit $491 if I have to pay for the insurance myself!! Very disheartening. But what can you do? At least if I do have a problem over there I'll just drop off the car and walk away without having to deal with my credit card to cover th damage. Small consolation for having to more than double the cost of the rental...

Citi told me that their policies change on Sept 1 of every year, so if your card said you were covered before and you haven't received notice that it's changed then you should be ok. Try to get a letter-talk to a supervisor if you have to and write down everyone's name, ID#, whatever you can get to verify that they said you were covered. My understanding is that if the card says you're covered, call the rental co to verify that they accept that card's coverage.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Chemgirl, I believe that if you have already used the card to prepay, MC would have to honor the agreement. The transaction already happened, so there shouldn't be a need for grandfathering.

I reserved a car next week in Ireland, used the MC, declined the CDW when I reserved online, and am taking the MC-Assist "Guide to Benefits" with me. I'll post when I get back.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:08 AM

I have a citibank gold mc and when I called mc assist they told me I was covered and gave me a link to print out the master rental notice. Maybe it depends on what type of citibank card it is.