Internet on Lake Como?

Search

Internet on Lake Como?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet on Lake Como?

I have a PDa equiped with Wi-Fi. Is it possible I will be able to find an internet "hot-spot" in Varenna, Bellagio or Menaggio? I suppose there are internet cafes, but I have no desire to use a public machine, for security reasons. Any specifics?

Thanks.

Steve
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM

public Wi-Fi spots are not easily found, and they are not secure. Internet cafes actually offer better security; or hotel access not wi-fi.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM

There is one computer offering 40min of free internet at the tourist office in Menaggio - but be prepared for a wait.

There was also a computer at one of the stores by the main sqaure in Varenna (next to the food store) - but again...we never got on it cause there was a wait.

I couldn't tell you about Bellagio -though that seems the likeliest place to find it.

Cheers,

Naxos
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM

I was just in Bellagio - there is a internet cafe called Bellagiopoint.com (I think this is the only one)

http://www.bellagiopoint.com

internet and wi-fi and for 5E, gets you a glass of Lombardy wine and a generous plate of salami, prosciutto and cheese - a great deal.

Hotel Du Lac I believe has wi-fi also - you could probably sit under the arcade and have a drink while surfing (maybe)
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

I found what I hope will be a pretty good solution. I have a PDA, with wi-fi. iPass.com has hotspots throughout the world. Their handheld rate plan is only $14.95 per month for unlimited access at any of their hotspots world-wide. Boingo.com is another alternative, but they are more exensive.

Turns out there are quite a few iPass places in Menaggio, Varenna and Griante (but oddly, none in Bellagio) where I will be able to log on securely. Quite a few are hotels and public buildings like City Halls or schools. It will also get me on in the various airports.

So I have signed up to get the PDA rate for one month and use that to receive and send emails, etc. during my entire vacation. I have already tested it at the local Starbucks and it works fine. I'll report on how it works out when I return on the 13th.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I have a question on iPass for those who uses it. Looking at their web site, it seems what they provide is a way to "fund" internet connection charge provided by other ISP, such as t-mobile?

I am also looking for a way to make a VPN connection while traveling. If I travel with my company provided computer, I have a VPN connection, but without my company computer, I don't have a VPN access.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I recall reading in the user guide for iPass about the ability to use VPN, but I didn't read it in depth.

As for t-mobile, the Starbucks hotspot I referenced was tmobile, but also iPass.

That's about all I can say about your questions. Sorry.