Como or Bellagio??

Search

Como or Bellagio??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Como or Bellagio??

I plan to spend two days in the "Lake Region" and want to visit both towns. Does anyone feel it is better to stay in one town over another? And does anyone have any good hotel recommendations. thanks.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:07 AM

Como is a large town, somewhat charming in itself, but usually not the main destination of those looking to stay on Lake Como.

Bellagion, Varenna, and Menaggio are really better, much more charming places to stay on Lake Como. You can still take the boat to other towns on the lake, including Como. The thing to realize is that the hotel you choose is an important part of the Lake Como experience, and the more charming ones are not in the town of Como.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM

I'd go with Bellagio. Como is alright, but Bellagio (or even better, Varenna) is charming and relaxing and just plain wonderful....
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM

On a scale of 1 to 100 for places to stay, I'd give Bellagio a 99. I'd give Como maybe a 20. Actually, if Bellagio didn't exist, Como would probably come out much higher, but when you try to compare them. . .
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Bellagio!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM

I prefer Bellagio over Como. Como is a nice town, but Bellagio is simply beautiful.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM

Headquarter in Bellagio; do a day trip by boat to Varenna or Mennagio for fun if you'd like.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Just another idea: neither Como nor Bellaggio, but Lenno. A 10-minute ferry ride to Bellaggio, but much less heavily infested with day-trippers. We stayed at the Albergo Lenno in October this year & loved it so much, we changed our itinerary so that we could return for 2 more nights at the end of our trip. Heaven on earth, imo!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:39 AM

Varenna is also very pleasant, less infested, and an easy boat hop to anything else on the lake.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM

The only downside to not staying in Bellagio itself is that by restricting yourself to visiting by day trip, you become part of the infestation and miss the opportunity to enjoy B in the evening when it's much more relaxed.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:56 AM

BTilke, thanks for taking up my usual campaign. Like Capri, I'm always a little amused when people go to Bellagio just for the day, get caught up in all the other daytrippers, and report back they were glad they didn't stay there because it was so busy. Those who DO stay there, leave during those busiest times to go see the villas and the other towns, and return when those daytripper mobs are gone.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:19 AM

NP, I feel the same way about Bruges. Somebody goes there for the day on a holiday week-end and comes back whinging that the streets are mobbed and act like you're lying when you say it's a completely different place about 6 pm or so. (speaking of which, we will be there on Sunday, mob scene or no).
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM

Ah, yes, same story. We could make a list of those places. The first time we were in Venice we listened to a couple talk about the horrors of their day trip to San Gimignano the day before -- nothing but wall to wall tourists -- they hated it. We started to panic, as we were headed there for three nights! Our fears were unfounded as again, we left each day while the mobs were there, but found it absolutely wonderful in the late afternoon and evenings when we returned.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:13 AM

You should think about the ease of transportation. If you stay in the one the three major mid-lake cities, then there is almost always a boat either coming or going across the lake. It is easy to go to Bellagio, or Varenna, or Mennagio, or Bellano, or the Villa Carlotta landing. It is relatively easy to get to Lecco (the south eastern terminus), or Colico (the northern terminus), or even Como. Some of the North-south boats do not call in Bellagio, but a lot of them do.

If you study the boat schedule for departures from Como, you mind find that the service at mid day is not frequent enough to be convenient. A lot of the boats into and out of Como are to get folks to work (early am) and take them home (afternoon).

Enjoy your trip. Lake Como is probably one of the most fanstastic places on Earth. [Been twice and planning to return.]
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:21 AM

Can you buy a day-trip ticket to ride the ferries all day for one price? We went 1st class on all the Swiss ferries -- less crowded and nicer accommodations. Is it worth it to go 1st class on the Italian ferries?
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM

I don't recall any boats on Lake Como having two classes of service -- certainly not the hydrofoils nor the car ferries.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:41 AM

Budman,
It is my pleasure to advise you that there is one very special boat that plies the waters of Lake Como. It is fully equal to, or surpasses another mere 'first class' boat. I recommend that you this take boat and no other.

This is the Lake Como Bar Boat.

We were lucky enough to catch it one time on our last trip. It really does exists and although no more than a few years old, it was built to look like the historic lake steamers of the early 1900's. It practically has Budman written on the side.

Merry Christmas everybody.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Bellagio is very nice BUT it depends what you want to do. If you want to visit different places around the lake (Varenna, Lenno and Villa Balbianello, Tremezzo and Villa Carlotta, Cernobbio) over over the lake (like Brunate, the hill overlooking the town) if you stay in Como you have higher possibilities to organize your trips.
Be carefull, the different possibilities change depending on season /weather.

Ciao, buon Natale (Merry Xmas).

Gianni (Milan, Italy)
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM

I'm thinking of staying in Menaggio since I will have a car and day tripping to Bellagio/Varenna. I would like to cruise the lake from one end to the other one day and the maybe take a day trip to some of the interesting sites we see. 3 nights & two full days just isn't going to be enough, I believe.

The "bar boat" sounds like a relaxing way to cruise, have a couple glasses of wine, and some good photo ops.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM

I would argue the point about visiting the villas. All those villas mentioned and the towns mentioned as well are much closer and more easily visited from Bellagio than from the town of Como -- quick and frequent boat service from Bellagio. Brunate would be the only exception. What am I missing here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -