Interlaken or Como? Hotels?

Apr 19th, 2004, 01:30 PM
MrsR

Interlaken or Como? Hotels?

Our itinerary has changed and we won't have as much time as we had once thought. We'll have 4 days and are debating between Como and Interlaken (although we're leaning toward Interlaken). We have not been to either place. Any thoughts? Should the weather in mid-May impact our decision?

Any good hotel suggestions in either place? Since it's our honeymoon, we're willing to spend a little more (but not break the bank). Thanks in advance.

Apr 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM
ajs

MrsR

My wife and I took a trip two years ago. We went to Interlaken (actually stayed in Murren), and Lake Como. We loved both, but thought hands down, that Lake Como was the most romantic place we'd ever been. Much better for your honeymoon. The weather in May could go either way, but all the trees/flowers should be in full glory. Look in to Varenna. Smaller and less expensive than Bellagio, but just a short ferry hop away. Do a search here about hotels to get loads of advice.
Apr 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM
ajs

ps.

I would not choose Como or Interlaken, as towns to stay in these areas.

Murren or Wengen in Switzerland, Varenna, Bellagio, or Menaggio in Lake Como.

The first two are just cities close to the really good stuff, IMO.
Apr 19th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Last year we spent 4 wonderful days (May 19-May 23)in a small villa called Hotel Stella d'Italia on Lake Lugano. It is in a very small town called S Mamete which is about a 20 minute drive from Lake Como (Menaggio) and a 20 minute drive in the other direction to Lugano, Switzerland. All rooms face the Lake and have either a terrace or balcony. Their website is:

www.stelladitalia.com

We had 3 dinners there and they were all excellent, 2 of the nights we were able to sit out by the lake on their vine covered dining terrace - just beautiful.
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Hey Spuds--did you get that hotel from me? We have stayed there twice and love it.
As for your honeymoon location, MrsR, when you said mid-May it was decided in my mind. It is still cold in the higher Alps that time of year--go to the Lakes and stay in Bellagio or Varenna--or that lovely hotel on Lago Lugano.
Apr 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Hi Bob,

Actually we got put on that villa by a friend of a friend that runs an Italian Villa Rentals company. She normally books villas for a week at a time but told us about this small villa that was perfect to see Lake Como... and it was. I took a look at their website when I posted my last message and it brought back wonderful memories.