lake lugano or como for hotel?

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:10 PM
ckf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lake lugano or como for hotel?

my mother and I are planning to spend 6 days in the italian lake district in June, but didn't plan very far ahead. So we have limited hotel options - Albergo Terminus in Como or the Stella d'Italia in Lugano. We will take day trips by ferry (don't want to drive) but want a hotel as a base that offers great views and a reasonable amount of activity and options if we choose to stay in town for a day or two. Asking for a lot, I know. Any opinions?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM

We stayed at the Stella d'Italia last May and loved it! However, we had a car and cannot see staying there without one. I am not sure if there is a bus service to take you to Lake Como, I know there was a boat that picked up people to take them to Lugano Switzerland and possibly other small villages on Lake Lugano (we did not take this - we drove). The hotel is lovely with beautiful views of the lake and Swans in the lake. Dinners were also fabulous and very tasty.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is bus service between Lugano and Menaggio (west side of Lake Como, opposite Bellagio). If I remember correctly, it takes about an hour one-way. It's operated by an Italian company (SITA), and the cost was very reasonable.

Personally, I'd stay mid-lake on Como and not in the town of Como. Bellagio, Varenna or Menaggio (in that order) would be my choice. And I'd pick Lake Como over Lugano, but again that's mostly personal choice.

If you decide on Lugano, take the ferry one day to Morcote. Charming.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:43 AM

Hi ckf. The Stella d'Italia is not in Lugano but it is on the lake. (apologies if you know that already) If you can find a hotel in Lugano, you will have practically unlimited opportunities for daytrips via public transportation --trains, boats, buses. Lugano is a great little city. It's in Switzerland. If you had in mind to remain in Italy, then do see if you can find accommodations in one of the smaller towns on Lake Como. J.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Why are you limited to those two?
I too would stay mid-lake on Como, and I love the Stella d' Italia but it may be a bit isolated for your purpose.