Long weekend in northern Greece?

Apr 17th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Long weekend in northern Greece?

A friend and I studying in Germany were thinking of taking a long weekend trip to Greece in late May, or June- probably 4 days at most. I managed to find cheap airfare to Thessaloniki, and don't know much about this part of Greece. Is there plenty here to keep us interested, or would we be better off travelling from here to another part of Greece and back again? I'm leery about transportation eating up too much time (4 days is short!) or budget. Is there anywhere you would reccomend going nearby here, or for day trips? We are two college-aged girls. I'm primarily interested in the history and traditions, while I think my friend is looking for some beaches, so anywhere with both would be ideal. Thank you in advance!
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Topping.
Apr 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

One last try... anyone know anything about this area and what there is to see?
Apr 19th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Contact some of the travel agencies near you for special charter packages to some of the islands like Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos or Crete. There is a lot of history on these islands. Sometimes you can purchase flights only without hotels. If there are enough flights you might be able to find a return flight in 4 days.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Thessaloniki, but I do know that the islands of Skopelos, Skiathos and Alonissos are nearby.
Apr 19th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll look into that idea, and see if I can find some more information on those islands as well.
Apr 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM

To the east of Thessalonika is Fillipi -- of Biblical fame. To the southwest is Vergina -- which has the grave of Alexander the Great's father, and the ruins of the ancestral palace. There's a pretty unique underground museum there at Vergina. Actually, Thessalonika itself has some interesting things (ruins) to see. We went through there coming and going and the traffic is crazy, second only to Athens.
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:13 PM
sj

There is a lovely island to the East of Salonica called Thasos. I spent 2 months there and loved it. Check it out on the web.
I hope you have a good time.
sj