where to stay at lake como

Feb 7th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

where to stay at lake como

Only have a couple of nights at Lake Como and would like to know the best area to stay. We will be arriving through Milan by train in mid October. Not sure whether it would be easier to stay in Como and visit other towns by ferry. Thanks for any help
Feb 7th, 2011, 03:55 AM

www.bellagio.info far prettier than Como

in the mid lake in fact known as the "Pearl" of the lake.

www.hotelflorencebellagio.it my fav Mark Twain stayed there.

Many other nice options for you there based on budget.
Feb 7th, 2011, 04:10 AM

However Como is a great town and not nearly as resorty as Bellagio. You can stay in Como and then get a the ferry to see the rest of the lake.
Feb 7th, 2011, 04:53 AM

We too stay in Bellagio when in the region. Gorgeous spot, promenade down by the lake and an upper town area (up stairs, vs. street) with espresso, church, cheese shops, bakery, and the like. Others are more partial to Varenna which is one stop over on the ferry.
Feb 7th, 2011, 05:19 AM

If you are really CONCERNED about being in the middle of a lot of OTHER visitors just like you then stay over in either Varenna or in Menaggio as opposed to Bellagio. The whole mid-lake area is a lot prettier than around the city of Como IMO.
Feb 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Everyone has their favorite. I'm partial to Bellagio but also have enjoyed staying in Varenna. FWIW, I prefer the views from Varenna.

One thing to keep in mind: In mid-October, some hotels in Bellagio and Varenna begin to close for the season. There is no hard date for this; owners look at their bookings and the weather and make an economic decision. If you make a hotel reservation for arrival after October 16, 2011, you may get word in September that the hotel has decided to close. Don't panic. Some hotels will pick up the business and close later, and other hotels stay open all year. A small number of restaurants will close; most will reduce the number of days they are open. Scheduling cooperation insures there is something open every day of the week.

I can recommend the Hotel Florence and Residence La Limonera (apartments) in Bellagio and the Hotel du Lac in Varenna.
Feb 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM

I forgot to mention that the ferry schedules are usually adjusted to reduced frequency in mid-October which would make staying in the town of Como a little less desirable if the mid-lake area is your priority.

Here's a link to the ferry timetables, but it's showing the winter schedule until early April.

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc_ora.html
Feb 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Really enjoyed Residence la Limonera in Bellagio. We faced the same decisions when we went but discovered that no matter where you stay around the lake there are frequent and easy ferry trips to the others.
Feb 8th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone