Insurance coverage quirk

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance coverage quirk

Have a good rate on a van from auto europa in italy next summer. Was reading fine print and noticed that "This insurance is not valid for single party accidents." Does this mean what it sounds like? If we are in an accident that doesnt include another car, like skidding off the road etc, we have no insurance coverage? Sounds too bizzare to be true. Anyone heard of this??
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Does the clause pertain to all coverage, or just medical, liability or similar? I doubt if they would have a clause like that for damage to the car, but not surprising if they don't want to cover injury to you or your passengers.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Where on their site did you find this info?

I'm very interested. Although I usually use Hertz, I reserved a car through Auto Europe last week...for Italy
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM

that just sounds like a very limited policy in the collision insurance, but maybe that's why the rate is so good.

Why don't you just call and ask them what it means, they are very easy to deal with and get hold of.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I think that AutoEurope and Auto Europa are two different companies.
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Yes they are two different companies. Auto Europe is the car broker (does not itself own any cars) with an office in Portland, Maine so you can call a US number if you have any questions/problems. Auto Europa, is a car rental agency, and sometimes AutoEurope (the broker) offers cars through Auto Europa (the rental agency). That much I finally figured out.

What I didn't know is that Auto Europa's CDW will only cover damage that involves another vehicle. Strange, but may explain the low rates.

Does anyone know if Europcar has this limitation to their CDW coverage? Does their Super CDW/TLW package eliminate that, thereby insuring all damage, including single party accidents such as snagging your mirror on a building in a tight street? I'm renting a 7-passenger van so that would be a concern.

Would like to hear of other's experience. Neither AutoEuropa nor Europcar's sites provide the insurance fine print (probably with good reason)
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:36 AM
ira

Hi ab,

I suggest that you go to www.autoeurope.com.

Ask them to match the Auto Europa rate. If thay can't, they will tell you why.

They can also answer your insurance questions.