Initial feedback on Spain itin, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nine full days, landing in Madrid and departing from Bilbao. I've spent a lot of time in Madrid before and mainly want to see some smaller towns. I'm traveling by myself and enjoy art, architecture and taking photos -- so I'm not too unusual from many tourists. Here's my initial plan; see what you think. (Note that though I love Salamanca, I have already spent a lot of time there. A lot, so it does not make the cut this time.)

Days 1-5 (Sun thru Thurs): stay in Madrid, see some old favorites (art museums) and do day trips to Toledo, Segovia, El Escorial and Avila. Night train to Santiago de Compestela, arriving early morning.

Day 6: Santiago de Compestela. Stay the night.

Day 7: rental car for a nice drive. See Oviedo and Santander on way to Bilbao. Make way to Bilbao by end of day. Stay in Bilbao.

Day 8: Bilbao. See San Sebastian at some point in these two days.

Day 9: Bilbao.

Day 10: rise early. Fly home.

I like to be on the move, dont need a long, fancy sit-down meal and one-night in a hotel does not bother me the way it does others here. I like to see everything I can. If I could find a way to fit Burgos in here, believe me, I would!

I know I've probably got some things wrong, but in general, I am hoping this is a good place to start. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 11:35 PM

IMHO why too much travelling. One night stands and too much travelling will not allow you time to see anything. Those who say one nighters work, I am sorry to say, do not know what they are missing.
What will you do with your luggage when you arrive early in Santiago. Hopefully the hotel will allow you to place it behind the desk.
In Spain no meal need to be fancy, but they will be long. It is just the way it is.
The drive between SdC and Bilbao will take up at least half a day, without stops. So maybe you will not have time to see both locations on your list.
Nothing on this list is what I would call smaller towns.
For example along the North coast you will be missing out on (in no particular order)
Getaria
Axpe
Santillana del Mar
Comillas (Gaudí)
Cudillero
Castro Urdiales
You are missing out on on the wonderful area of the Picos de Europa.
I suppose the choice is your rush or stop and see some things.
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 11:37 PM

PS you have not said what time of year you plan this trip for.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 12:00 AM
kja

"Days 1-5 (Sun thru Thurs): stay in Madrid, see some old favorites (art museums) and do day trips to Toledo, Segovia, El Escorial and Avila." -- You said that you have spent time in Madrid before; I'm not sure if you have visited these other places, too. If not, I think you would be hard-pressed to see all of these places in the time you have allowed. For example, I thought Toledo worth 2 full days, Segovia worth a full day, El Escorial a half-day, and Avila the better part of a day -- already more than you have in the area.

I'm just beginning to plan a visit to the other places you mention, and know that I'm going to want FAR more time for them than you are allotting.

Of course, it all depends on what YOU want to see and experience.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 12:35 AM

Go to San Sebastian - the culinary capital of Spain - for lunch. I would recommend a laid-back, affordable and very high qulity pintxos tour/txikiteo. Have a pintxo (2-3€) and a glass of whatever in four/five places, and end up with a cup of coffee and the great views at Cafe de la Concha, right on the La Concha Beach promenade. http://www.sansebastianturismo.com/e...e-culinary-art
http://christineinspain.com/what-is-el-txikiteo/

You can't do much wrong when going for lunch in the Parte vieja/Old town, but here is my suggestion for a top quality and varied pintxos tour: Urola, Borda-Berri, Goiz-Argi, Cuchara de San Telmo and Ganbara. All about going for pintxos in San Sebastian with other suggested routes etc. http://www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en

The views from Cafe de La Concha:
https://www.google.no/maps/uv?hl=en&...ed=0CHoQoiowCg
https://www.google.no/maps/uv?hl=en&...ed=0CHoQoiowCg
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 03:42 AM

We once spent two weeks in Spain, with two nights in Madrid, and the rest of the time driving to Segovia, Salamanca, Avila, and Toledo. We also stopped at El Escorial. We didn't spend a night in Avila, but we spent at least two or three nights in the other cities. The drive was very pleasant, and driving between these cities would give you more time in them than taking day trips from Madrid.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 05:10 AM

IMHO if you already know Madrid I would significantly reduce the time there and then have more to spend in the areas you haven't visited before - so you don't try to squash so many places into so little time.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I might come inland to the Picos or even on into Rioja
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback. Indeed I do wish I had far more time, but nine days is what I have, and I am quite excited about those! I may actually ditch SdC and head north from Madrid through Burgos. I know I will regret not seeing it. Then I can be truly excited when I finally walk the Camino upon entering the square and seeing the cathedral (in SdC) the first time.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi lotsa,

in general I am in favour of dropping the outlyers in short trips, and SdC definitely qualifies for that in this itinerary.

Burgos is well worth seeing and going there between Madrid and Bilbao is a good idea. However I still feel that you are trying to cram in so many day trips that you are leaving no time to see the places where you are going to be staying. if you knocked a day off Madrid, you might think of going to San Sebastien from Madrid via Logrono, which would perhaps give you the chance to spend at least one night in San Sebastien, and a better chance to sample the food there.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 08:11 AM

"I like to see everything I can."

There lies the typical tourist mistake of confusing quantity with quality. Seeing 'many' places is not synonymous with seeing 'much' of a place. A day somewhere is not equal to several days in that same place. One is about quantity with little regard to quality. That's one of the major differences that separate the typical tourist from the experienced traveller.

Enjoy ticking the names off your list but don't go home and tell people you have 'seen' those places.

As for, "Then I can be truly excited when I finally walk the Camino", you must be kidding. That has to be one of the greatest overstatements of all time.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate your condescension. Enjoy your day.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ignore him, Lotsa - the rest of us do.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 01:34 PM

Lotsa,

Agree that you should drop Santiago from your plans this time. Although it's one of my preferred places in Spain, to fly all the ay there just to quickly drive away from Galicia doesn't make much sense (IMHO). Also, the Cathedral is at the moment covered with scaffolding (well, at least it was last July when I as last there) so hopefully you go there once that work is finished as its a shame to not be able to admire the beautiful facade.
Yes, from experience I can tell you its very emotional to arrive to the Cathedral at the end of a Camino.

Burgos is very nice, so if its fits in your schedule its worth it.

Buen Camino in whatever you end doing!
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful responses. Yes, I think I got excited when I found an overnight train to Santiago de Compostela and was diverted from my original plan. I have always wanted to see that cathedral, but yes, will wait for the end of my own Camino when it means more. I am hoping to do that within the next five years, but will need to time that with a job switch, I think.

So I have settled on heading north from Madrid through Burgos (to Bilbao) and am similarly excited to see its beautiful cathedral. I am also eager to see the Museum of Human Evolution. Now I need to settle on the split of the days and which day trips to take from Madrid.

Regarding the day trips from Madrid: Some of them are only a 30-minute train ride, which is less than my own daily commute to my present job. I do not see this as a lot of moving around. Do not dismay at my motivations for these day trips! I am not trying to become an expert on Segovia or Toledo. I am trying, overall, to take a break from my life/job at home which is driving me crazy right now. (This is what vacation is for, no?) Given that I will likely spend too many hours at the Reina Sofia and Prado, I will probably not make it to my entire initial list. I am thinking three is a good number over five days. Toledo and Segovia are musts. What would your third be?

Again, many thanks for your help and thoughts.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 04:04 PM
kja

If you enjoy art, then consider making time for the Thyssen-Bornemisza in addition to El Prado and the Reina Sofia while in Madrid. And the Monasterio de las Descalzas. And the Museo Arqueologico Nacional....

With five days in Madrid, I personally would not aim for more day trips than Toledo and Segovia; YMMV. You may even want to make a second day trip to Toledo to see more of it's highlights. If you do decide to go elsewhere, Avila and El Escorial are SO different that I think you would need to choose based on your interests.

Good luck with your effort to de-stress.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM

I would go to El Escorial. Avila is a drive-by.