Apartment for family trip to London

Nov 17th, 2014, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Apartment for family trip to London

I am Travelling in late August 2015 with my grandsons who will be 10 and 14 and their parents to London. I have looked at online sites for apartment rentals, but am not sure which companies are reputable and need some advice or recommendations on where to stay, would like it to be central to maximize our time. We are also looking to spend some time outside of London, maybe a few days to Bath and maybe also a day trip to Oxford or Cambridge. I was born in England and have visited over the years, but this trip is mainly about the boys... who love to play soccer in Canada and would love to see a football game during their stay..... any help would be appreciated.
Nov 17th, 2014, 06:48 AM

The football season will have started by mid to late August, but the fixtures will not be out until the end of June.

Depending on when it is played, you might be able to get tickets to the Charity shield at Wembly - the traditional curtain raiser to the season with the leasgue champions playing the FA cup holders. It normally is not as difficult to get tickets as for other wembley events.

Otherwise, for the major London clubs tickets are difficult or expensive to get hold of.
Nov 17th, 2014, 07:59 AM

Can't suggest flats/agencies w/o knowing your budget . . .
Nov 17th, 2014, 08:45 AM

Also how much space do you want? 3 bedrooms? 2 bedrooms plus a fold-out sofa?
Nov 17th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

My preference would be 3 bedroom, but two bedroom with a foldout sofa is an option if it gets to pricey, but for sure we need 2 bathrooms. As far as cost, I'm really not too sure what the rates are, hopefully not more than $700-800 per night, but know London is costly, so have to keep that in mind, will probably be in London for a week, and then move outside London.
Nov 17th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Willit I looked up the Charity Shield, which sounds great to me, but at this point not much info as to dates, when do you think I should check again, and if that doesn't work out, and the major leagues are too costly are the minor leagues a good bet... sorry I'm not much up on the football info, so would like feedback so I can get some options as to when I should start looking at prices and tickets.
Nov 17th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Oh heck, with that high a budget you can stay just about anywhere. $700 a night is over £3000 a week. That is a very generous budget.

$800/night is over £3500 a week -- you can get quite a high end/posh property for that and have money left over.
Nov 17th, 2014, 05:08 PM

www.londonconnection.com worked very well for us. Just did a quick look and they list several places that would meet your needs at or well below your budget.

Was also pleased with www.ivylettings.com
Nov 17th, 2014, 07:43 PM

This agency only has two 3 bdrm flats but lots of large 2 bdrms . . . http://farnum-christ.com

More high end/gorgeous properties but I think every one of them is w/i your budget.
Nov 17th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Homeaway.com is the equivalent of vrbo (if you are familiar with it) and I find it very useful for London. I probably would look in the Victoria station area (south of it toward Pimlico) but there are many, many options available to you. That area would be quiet for the children and fairly convenient to much of the sites.

Fulham likely will be playing in the championship, which is the "minor leauge" one tier down from the top league. Their park is very easy to get to, right on the banks of the Thames and very family friendly. Tickets are pretty easy to get from their website but, again, fixture lists will not be out until well into the summer.
Nov 17th, 2014, 11:18 PM

Hi Helen, have a look at www.onefinestay.com. They have lovely properties in London. We've rented from them in the past. Great service. They give you an Iphone with all the local information on it, to use during your stay.

Staying somewhere near a Piccadilly Line or Central Line tube station, within the area of the Circle Line on a map, is convenient.
Nov 17th, 2014, 11:21 PM

If it's the last weekend in August, don't stay in Notting Hill, as the Carnival is on 30 and 31st August.
Nov 18th, 2014, 12:53 AM

" if that doesn't work out, and the major leagues are too costly are the minor leagues a good bet"

The problem isn't really that Premier League matches are expensive: their tickets aren't cheap, but are generally comparable with the cost of a nice dinner. It's that it can be close to impossible for casual visitors to get tickets for most matches without lashing out for eye-watering (hundreds of pounds a head) hospitality packages. The lower Leagues (in descending order: the Championship and Leagues One and Two) are simply a great deal easier to get into - whether your budget is what you'd pay for a posh French sit-down or a quickie at McD's.

The problem, though, is that a football-mad ("soccer" hasn't been played in Britain for nearly a century) son might not see a trip to watch Leyton Orient as quite the same thing as being in an Arsenal or Chelsea grandstand watching some million euros a week Argentinean taking on almost equally overpaid opponents representing Manchester or Merseyside clubs.

There are strategies that might help you get, almost affordably, into a Premiership match. They're a bit complicated, need some flexibility and not worth bothering with if your sons aren't that keen to see the global superstars. Alternatively, the major stadia have (overpriced IMHO, but..) "experiences" that might be easier to organise.

I'm not sure it's that easy to get tickets for what used to be called the Charity Shield (now Community Shield.) They can be bought only from the two clubs competing (who typically impose the same restrictions as on ordinary matches), or as part of hospitality packages. Which clubs they are won't be known till late May 2015.

But if seeing two major teams at Wembley really matters to your sons, come back here and someone will explain strategies for dealing with major clubs.
Nov 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM

We used London Connection, they were great.

We LOVED our apartment, incredible view. It wasn't central, but we had no problems with connections. Bus stops right outside the apartment complex.

Also, had central AC should it be warm.

https://londonconnection.com/propert...rliament-view/
Nov 30th, 2014, 08:00 PM

We used a aplacelikehome.uk last year and were very pleased with their service as well as the flat. It was 2 bedrooms, 1 bath so doesn't meet your needs but they do have 3 bedroom flats to let as well.

Search this Thread