10 day itineraries for Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Spain for 10 days at the end of July. I would like to know what I should see/can see in that amount of time. I was thinking Barcelona, Madrid, San Sebastian. Is that too much? Can I see more? Are there better places to visit? I like the beach but also want to see culture and the real Spain. Any itinerary suggestions would be great. i have not bought tickets yet but plan to fly into Madrid. My sister and I are meeting our mom and she will have already been to the South so we need to stick to Northern Spain. Any ideas would be great.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM

If flying into Madrid, I would stick to the area near the capital: Segovia, Avila, Toledo, Cuenca. The problem is that it will be hot. San Sebastian should be cooler, or Santiago if willing to go farther.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM

This might whet your appetite. The towns I mentioned can be found in the 1985 Spain album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622974992586/
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Out of all those towns mentioned I would spend all of the time in San Sebastian. Maybe I'd spend a night in Santiago and one in Santander too. Madrid will be too hot and I prefer San Sebastian to Barcelona especially in July. What most peopel think of when they think of the "real Spain" is Andalucia.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM

I suggest you go north, San Se, Santander, even the Picos de Europa area.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:54 PM

agree with cruiseluv,make sure you book hotels!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM

All the northern beach towns will be over run with people form Madrid and other areas.

Please note there is no such thing as the real Spain. It is many areas with different histories, languages, and culture.

Madrid has world class museums and it is a great hhub visting some worthwhile towns nearby. Few cities in the world have a sense of design and spirit like Barcelona.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Aduchamp1- that's exactly what I was thinking.

How do you define the "real" Spain?

Barcelona is in Catalunya and San Sebastian is in the Basque country. These areas are very different from other parts of Spain (Castille, Leon, La Mancha, Andalucia, Extremadura, Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, etc...). You can go from one region to another in Spain and often feel like you're visiting another country. It's probably one of the many reasons why I love Spain! But it makes it difficult to help answer your question regarding where to visit for 10 days the "real" Spain.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM

cassiebess
Maybe Madrid is too much out on a limb for this trip. Look at spending10days in BCN then travelling along the coast to the North of BCN. Yes you could take in SS but if you do you should take in some other places in the Basque country too.
But if you must fly into and out of Madrid then change your itinerary the see some of the Western parts of Spain.
Leon, Burgos, Gijón, the Northern coast right through to Galicia. Lugo Santiago and many more places.
I think by real Spain is you want to avoid all the locations invaded by Europeans during the summer, like Benidorm. Is that right?
I too would suggest you pre-book accommodation as you never know if a location is going to be extra busy or not. Sometimes there is a local fiesta on and everything is fully booked.

What is the method of travelling whilst in Spain? This will make a difference to any suggested plans.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:39 AM

cassiebess writes: "I am going to Spain for 10 days at the end of July. ..." Does that include 25 jul (Santiago)? If so, I recommend flying MAD-SCQ; participate in Festivities and see the Botafumeiro swing.
Then you could work your way East from there: by Motorcoach or FEVE Train.
"... Are there better places to visit? I like the beach but also want to see culture and the real Spain. ..."
I often stop in Santander (Cantabria) and do daytrips from there: Bus Companies do different trips on different days. You can visit San Vicente de la Barquera, Santillana del Mar
& Comillas or Potes & Fuente De (Picos de Europa).
Santander's Playa Sardinero is a great beach!