travel options for 11 days in spain

Old Apr 7th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel options for 11 days in spain

I am planning a trip the end of July /beginning of /august to spain. I have ruled out southern spain due to the heat, but am trying to decide between madrid-valencia-barcelona, most likely via train, or driving madrid-san sebastian, touring and spending the night at either burgos or longrono, visiting a winery, stopping at pamplona, then on to san sebastian for a few days. We will be staying in Toledo for 2-3 days as my daughter is finishing her studies there, then on to Madrid for 2 days, so will have 7 days for the rest of the trip.

We like seeing smaller out of the way towns, but am trying to decide if that is worth not going to Barcelona. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 12:01 PM

The driving option seems more relaxed in such a short time frame - especially if you want to stop at wineries - Zaragoza is a wonderful city on that route and i loved Burgos - check out the famous monastery there (potent liqueur on sale brewed by the monks) - Burgos was a pleasant surprise - good overnight place.

if going to the other cities then definately go by rail - cars not much fun/use in huge cities where wide swaths of them may have been put off limits to private vehicles. If interested in train info check these superb sources on Spanish trains - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Book at www.renfe.com for discounted tickets if you book way way in advance - much cheaper than just buying once there.

another driving route from Madrid could go via Bilboa and then on side rods thru the Basque country to Donostia, the preferred name for San Sebastian for the Basques - San Sebastian being the Spanish 'occupiers' name).
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM

First of all, please realize that all of Spain will be hot, not just Andalucia. The north will be somewhat cooler but ... therefore, I suggest that once you've finished with Toledo and Madrid you high-tail it north. Hit Bilbao, San Sebastian, the Basque country, and perhaps the Picos de Europa or the Pyrenees if going to Pamplona. Hey, it'll be summer. Big cities are always hotter than smaller places.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Did anyone mention that all of Spain will be hot that time of year? Really hot. The north coast is one of my favorite summertime destinations in the entire world. The beaches are up there with Cape Cod and the food is much better.I might stop in Burgos on the way to San Sebastian for 4 or 5 days and take daytrips from there.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Oh and I would not worry about missing Barcelona. It's a great city but it's so hot in July and the beach is one of the worst. If you like Spain you can always plan a future trip to Seville, Granada, and Barcelona.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Right on, Egbert.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions... did I mention that my family (excluding myself), hates the heat?! Which is why I bagged southern spain in the first place, but was 2nd guessing myself regarding Barcelona.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 12:13 AM

San Sebastian and the Basque coast has been a favourite summer destination for Spanish and French elites since the mid 19th century due to the milder summer climate. Weather statistics says average highs at 71-77F in late July/early August (wetteronline.de). http://www.euskoguide.com/places-bas...stian-tourism/

The 50th edition of the San Sebastian jazz festival - one of the oldest in Europe - goes on July 22-26: http://www.heinekenjazzaldia.com/en/