Help on Spain Itinerary

Search

Help on Spain Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on Spain Itinerary

My husband and I are just beginning to plan our first trip to Spain next Fall. Based on what I have read so far - I would like to see Barcelona, San Sebastian, Seville, Granada and maybe Cordoba. We are planning a 17 day trip - is this feasible?? We don't want to be on the run too much - would have no objection to flying between the north and south (which cities have airports). Also - should we try flying into Barcelona -- is there an airport near Seville to fly out of?? Thank you for any input you may have.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:21 AM

All the cities you mention except Cordoba have airport. You can fly out of Seville changing planes at Madrid Barajas.
Your trip is feasible, not very rushed. Anyway, I would leave San Sebastian for a trip to the North and add Madrid to your trip, because due to the flights you will have to go there anyway so..I think it's better to see a bit more than the airport even if it's only a couple of days
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM

With 17 days you can certainly cover the areas noted. One approach would be to think of the trip as "two trips" - one in the north of Spain and one in the south. Your thought of flying between the north and south is a good one. Spain is a large country and Spanair and Vueling both offer inexpensive flights. [I recently flew from Bilbao to Barcelona for 45E including all taxes and fees. Note there is a wide range in prices based on what day you fly and what time of day. Flexibility can save you money]

I like the idea of flying into Barcelona. There is no really good way to get from Madrid to Barcelona except to fly. However, they have extended the AVE train toward Barcelona. Maybe another poster can give an update.

You don't want a car in Barcelona. I would consider picking one up when ready to head for San Sebastian [my favorite city in Spain and perhaps all of Europe]. [Consider picking the car up at airport or out from downtown to avoid city traffic.] I haven't driven that particular route but it would be an interesting drive through some pretty territory. When you get to San Sebastian, park the car. It's a very walkable city. Side trips to Hondarribias, Pamplona, and villages along the coast between San Sebastian and Bilbao are all good. Include Bilbao in your plans. You are so clase it would be a shame not to visit. I think it is great town - alltho some folks put it down.

You can also do the north without a car. Fly Barcelona to San Sebastian or Bilbao and use the intercity busses. All the places I have noted are about an hour ride from San Sebastian. The busses are comfortable, clean, and on time. I confess I did miss being able to duck down the back roads but the absense of the stress of parking, getting lost, weird traffic patterns etc more than offset.

I' do no less than 3 days in BCN and 4 days in the San Sebastian area. Then fly to Seville. 3 days in Seville including a day trip to Cordoba [45 min on AVE]. Then train to Granada or pick up a car and drive perhaps spending one night in Ronda. Fly Granada back to your departure airport.

You could do the entire trip with only 4-5 hotels. [BCN, SS, Sev, Ronda,Granada] That makes a much more restful trip

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We were in N. Spain in June. At that time the AVE was only operating to Lleida, about 2hrs. west of BCN.

Happy planning.

MY
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better if I just planned our first trip to include either northers or southern Spain and not try to do both???
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM

We just got back from a 12-day trip to Spain: Barcelona-Costa Brava-Ainsa-San Sebastian-Barcelona. We rented a car. The drive from Barcelona to SS is a straight shot on highways, 5.5 hours. I'm sure flying would be very convenient. I wouldn't cross SS off your list--it was a true highlight for us! It's a gorgeous city with beautiful beaches and architecture, and a really fun, lively Old Town with great food and tapas.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Yes, plan on the South for now. San Sebastian, Bilbao, even Pamplona can be another trip, maybe even combined with a France trip to the Bordeaux wine country and down the coast into Northern Spain.

You can fly with Vueling from Barcelona to Seville then do the sequence Sevilla-Cordoba-Granada by train. Then maybe train it down to Malaga (about 3 hrs) from where you can fly out again. www.Vueling.es.

Trains at www.renfe.es (can be tricky) or at http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...n?L=profi&
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Are there any direct flights from Seville or Malaga to JFK -New York - or do I have to return to Madrid for a direct flight to NY??
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 09:40 AM

No, there are not scheduled direct flights to NY from Malaga or Seville. I know there have been charter flights from Malaga in summer but it's not the usual thing. Also, there are no direct flights between San Sebastian and Seville or Granada for what I know, and that's why I told you before not to do North and South at the same time and include Madrid , even if it is only for a couple of days.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM

One additional consideration: October-April can be very wet and gray in the north.. JUne-Sep is very hot in the south. I tend to set my interary based on when I am traveling.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Two aditional questions - if I concentrate on Southern Spain - should I forget about Barcelona and instead fly into Madrid?? Second question: Is late September still too warm for Southern Spain or would October be better?? Thanks for all the welcomed advice .
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I was in Cordoba, Seville, and Granada in the last week of September. All cities were hot. You are looking at 27 to 31 degrees celcius (81-88 F)for the daytime temperatures. There was no rain except for a light sprinkle one evening in Cordoba.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM

In September they are still hot, but not to be uncomfortable. I think you can do both Madrid and Barcelona. But if you only want to go to one, Madrid makes a better couple with Southern Spain because of the distance and also for your flight connections to the USA. You also can go back to Barcelona after visiting Andalucia but it seems to me a bit odd.