Inexpensive Paris Hotel Help

May 22nd, 2002, 03:11 PM
Connie

Inexpensive Paris Hotel Help

My Husband, 10 year old daughter and I will be in Paris for one week at the end of June. We are looking for suggestions for a small Parisian Hotel with a lot of character but without the hight cost. Is it possible to find a place to stay on the left bank, in a charming neighborhood (4th, 6th? looking for suggestions) for under $70 euros per night. We would like a quiet side street close to pastry shops, cafes, parks and museums. Any suggestions from seasoned Fodorites? Thanks for your help.

May 22nd, 2002, 04:02 PM
Sue

You might try eurocheapo.com; I noticed the Hotel Excelsior has triple for E83 and it was also mentioned in a Frommers article on cheap hotels in Paris. It's in the 5th (Latin Quarter) between the Sorbonne and the Pantheon and near the Luxembourg Gardens. But 70 euro is not much ($64) for all you are seeking.

May 22nd, 2002, 04:16 PM
Richard

I highly recommend Hotel Royal Phare...excellent location, and exactly what you are looking for. Not a whole lot of frills, but safe, clean, quite and great bathroom! Also, around the corner from Rue Cler. E-mail me if you want more info.

May 22nd, 2002, 04:17 PM
Diane

In the 7th, on rue Cler, Hotel du Champs de Mars or Grand Leveque. Probably too late to book though for the end of June.

May 22nd, 2002, 05:07 PM
Betsy

You may be pushing it to get a reservation in late June in the center of things at that price. Champs de Mars for example, is usually booked months in advance, but maybe there are cancellations? There is a wonderful hotel called the Porte Doree in the 12th. It is right on a metro line, is extremely reasonable (60 euros for a double) and because it is not in the center of stuff may be open. It is in a typical Parisian neighborhood, but about 10 minutes by Metro to the Ille de Cite. They have a website, just punch in Hotel de Porte Doree, if you want to check it out. I really don't work for them, its just a great place at a great price.

May 22nd, 2002, 05:19 PM
Maira

Check the following newspaper article for ideas on Cheap Sleeps in Paris.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/travel/features/parishotels041899.htm

Best of luck!!

May 22nd, 2002, 05:28 PM
Pittsburgher

Please let us know what you find . . . I would love to have a short-notice backup hotel at these prices, and these all sound like incredible places!

May 22nd, 2002, 05:50 PM
Connie

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. These sound like wonderful places, I've checked all the websites. Sorry I mislead everyone...I'm actually planning this vacation very early, I meant June 2003!!! (wishful thinking 2002 perhaps). So if that opens up my options I'd love to hear more suggestions roll in.

We were also considering renting an apartment for a week so we could go the self-catering route. Except for maybe a meal out once per day that gives us an option to minimize expenses by eating in for the big meal. I love the idea of being near a good market street as we love to cook...and with such great produce and bread at hand. Has anyone gone the apartment route with any success? Anyone willing to share opionions on specific places? Can we still stay within a reasonable price range?

Thanks all you well-traveled people.

May 22nd, 2002, 06:01 PM
Book Chick

Hi Connie,
The Leveque (which is in the 7th, but well-located IMO) may be the answer to a prayer, but be forewarned it has no A/C, just ceiling fans. Given the rather precariously whimsical nature of Parisian climate in June, this may or may not be an issue, but something I thought you might like to know. It is probably one of the basic, better hotel values in Paris, though & not too far from a Metro stop, near cafes, a post office & a laundromat, a short distance from the Eiffel Tower & since it is on rue Cler, the food market is right outside each day!

If you decide to rent a place, however, you may want to check out www.vacationspot.com. We made a contact there who was very nice, but since our travel dates did not line up the availability of the property we were interested in, we ended up booking the Leveque.

Also, I laud your advance planning efforts. They will pay off well for you, as you probably already know.

Bon Voyage,
BC

May 22nd, 2002, 06:13 PM
Juju

I just returned from spending a week at the Hotel de la Porte Doree in the 12th in Paris. I had a double room for one person for 56 euros. It was terrific. It looks like they have triples for 64-69 euros. I recommend this hotel.

May 22nd, 2002, 06:44 PM
Juju

I just returned from spending a week at the Hotel de la Porte Doree in the 12th in Paris. I had a double room for one person for 56 euros. It was terrific. It looks like they have triples for 64-69 euros. I recommend this hotel.

May 23rd, 2002, 10:51 AM
oberost

Check out Frommers site today. Their
May/June Magazine has a list.

May 23rd, 2002, 11:14 AM
Rick

The two as mentioned on rue Cler would be my first choice. If not available, check Hotel Marignan (1 block from Metro & Sorbonne; about 3 from Notre Dame). Our family (including 11 year old son) stayed there three summers ago. VERY reasonable, clean, & helpful. English spoken. They have their own website.

May 23rd, 2002, 03:20 PM
mikkel

An inexpansive hotel, 50 Euros / night for 2 , in the "latin quarter", safe, clean, cosy . Stella hotel
http://site.voila.fr/hotel_stella
You can choose your room on the site: http://www.photomania.com/~hotelstella
You can book by e-mail