Hotel in Paris

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Paris

Well, the plans are nearly complete for my trip to France (except for trying to figure out how to calm my mother down about the idea of me travelling alone).

Has anyone stayed in the hotel de l'europe on bd de Magenta in the 10th arr. of Paris. They are offering me a single room including breakfast for 56euro a night. It's near Gare du Nord I think. Is this a safe area?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Viola,

The Gare du Nord area is not really the area you will want to stay, especially travelling alone. Better avoid it!

Also, you will be spending a lot of time on the metro, because from there, you can't really walk to a lot of places.

Try to pay a little more money and stay more central, in the 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th arr.

I also recommend, Montparnasse, just south of the Luxembourg Gardens, which is both, in the 6th and 14th, but a little less touristy and with some cheaper hotels.

I haven't stayed there, but I suggest you have a look at the Hotel du Parc**, 6, Rue Jolivet, Paris 14th arr. which is just south of the Montparnasse metro and train station overlooking a nice green square.
Singles are around 46-65 Euro.
www.hotelduparc-paris.com
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ursula!

I hope I can find somewhere in the areas you suggested - I forgot when planning my trip that the week I will be there includes the 1st May, a public holiday. It seems most of the cheaper places are booked out.

I'll try the hotel you suggested, and then start some other searches.

All advice on hotels gratefully accepted!!

-- Viola
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Viola,

If it's for the May 1 weekend, you better try to find something quickly.
I fear, most budget places in the favourite areas will already be booked (I know of bunches of people heading for Paris that weekend).

I assure you, you will be fine in Montparnasse and you will get a better value than in some very touristy areas.

Lots of small inexpensive places to eat. Rue Odessa and Rue Montparnasse are famous for the authentic crepes restaurants.

The Rue Violet is just off Rue de la Gaite, which is known as the theater street, which means, it's crowded, also later at night. There is nothing worse than deserted streets at night.
It's a perfectly acceptable area.
Trust me!

Good luck and come back, if you should need more help!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Viola,

Just thinking of this place, perfectly located right opposite Le Bon Marche and next to Sevres-Babylone metro stop (2 lines). It's only a one-star place though. Lively street in a typical Parisian and not too touristy neighbourhood.

Hotel Saint-Placide
6, Rue Saint-Placide, 6th arr.

Tel. 01 45 48 80 08
Fax 01 45 44 70 32

I can't find a website or e-mail address. Sorry.
Price should be in your bracket (around 50 Euro).
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Well, it seems that Hotel du Parc have rooms for my dates at about 60 euro a night.

Anyone have any experience with them?

-- Viola
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:12 PM

http://www.parishotels.com/hotel-direct.php?hotel=64&lang=en

Violagirl, I'm staying at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais. Above is the URL for the hotel. Rates are running at 57-69 euro per night and it's in a very safe part of Paris. I only hope you can get in so soon. If not, Ursula has VERY good suggestions. And Montparnasse is a lovely area of Paris, especially if you're a literary person.

I, too, am going alone and my mother is freaking out. I've told her I've read about a dozen trip reports within the past 2 weeks, all with good reports. And then I follow up with, "If I'm traveling alone, I won't be walking along chatting with someone, no one will hear me speak and they won't know I'm American." It seemed to do the trick.

I hope you have a lovely time in Paris!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:23 AM

I have stayed in the Gare du Nord area twice, and like it. This is a very historic area filled with 19th century architecture. It is also a very convenient area, because there it has several metro lines. It is only a 10 minute metro ride (or 5 minute RER ride) from there to the Louvre. This is also a very ethnically diverse neighborhood, which I found interesting. However, the Blvd. de Magenta is a very noisy street (major thoroughfare for traffic), and for this reason I would avoid staying there. Any hotel on Blvd. Magenta would probably have a lot of traffic noise at night.

Probably any neighborhood in Paris would be okay, except for Montparnasse. I say this because Montparnasse is the only section of central Paris that is almost completely lacking in charm. Montparnasse is filled is modern buildings (1960's and 1970's architecture), and does not look like the rest of Paris.

If you do not want to stay in the Gare du Nord area, then I suggest staying around the Bastille or Invalides neighborhhoods. Both areas have budget hotels. Also, although both areas have some modern buildings, the historical ambience of these neighborhoods is for the most part very well preserved.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Joyce,

You don't seem to know Montparnasse that well.

When I do mention it (and others too), I don't mean the area around the ugly Tower, but around Vavin, just south of the Luxembourg Gardens, which by the way, is still in the 6th arr.

Did you ever walk through streets like Rue Notre Dame de Paris, Rue Brea, Rue Vavin, Rue d'Assas, etc.??

You should and you will never ever say again it's a neighbourhood that lacks charm.
Oh well, I like it, because it's not so touristy and all my favourite small restaurants are just around the corner just like the famous brasseries.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Maybe we are quibbling over semantics here, but the area bordering on Luxembourg Gardens is generally referred to as the Latin Quarter. The Montparnasse area is further south.

I just returned from a trip to Paris, where I spent an entire morning exploring Montparnasse. I had missed a train I was supposed to take from Montparnasse Station, and decided to explore the neighborhood instead. What a waste of time that turned out to be!

I repeat what I said earlier: Montparnasse is almost completely lacking in charm. The Latin Quarter is wonderful, but I did not recommend it to violagirl because she seemed to be looking for a budget hotel. Most hotels in the Latin Quarter (even in the southern part of it) are quite expensive.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Joyce,

OK, I really don't want to argue with you, having lived in Paris for several years, buth the southern border of the Luxembourg Gardens is definitely Montparnasse and NOT the Quartier Latin, ma chere!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I had heard that Montparnasse was ugly and modern also, which had me worried about staying in a hotel right across the street from the much-maligned tower. But I stayed there with my daughter last month and we loved the neighborhood. True, the street right by the tower and the station was lacking in charm, but around the corner there was the Boulevard Edgar Quinet, which looks as Parisian as you could want, with a street market on Saturday and an art and craft market on Sunday.

We ate at the Creperie Josselin, which was wonderful and inexpensive, the Bistrot du Dome for great fresh fish, and La Coupole, which was big and noisy and fun with great platters of fresh oysters, clams, and mussels. We also had a dinner at the tiny restaurant La Cerisae for southwestern French food.

Every movie one could want to see was playing in the several large movie theaters on the corner. And every chain clothing store in Paris was located either in the mall across the street or on rue de Rennes within two or three blocks, which was great for my daughter.

The area was bustling day and night, very untouristy, and my daughter and I felt safe and comfortable there. There are several metro lines and we were able to explore the city easily.

I have stayed in several neighborhoods in Paris now, wanting to try out different areas each time, and I'd stay there again in a minute.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Ursula, I'll be staying in Montparnasse (rue Delambre) in May and would like the names of your favorite little restos. I, too, like the area.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:41 AM

Nikki, you and I were posting at the same time. I 'll keep your suggestions in mind. I love La Coupole just for the reasons you mentioned (it's fun to watch "the show").
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:48 AM
ira

Hi Viola,

May I suggest the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 rue Bonaparte? It is just the other side of the Luxembourg Gardens near the St Sulpice church, in the 6th.

I do not how much they charge for a single, but their doubles are 100E w/bkfst, so it should be in your price range.

Their Fax no is 01 46 33 57 67.

They don't have a web site, but you can look them up on www.voila.fr/PJ/

Happy hunting.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:51 AM

I almost always stay in Montparnasse because I like it for lots of reasons. The area south of Lux. Gardens is Montparnasse. There are other areas with old ateliers from the early 20th C where painters and other artists worked (Man Ray etc) and some beautiful Art Nouveau architecture on some of the apt buildings if you know where to look and other interesting neighborhoods. Now I don't know that I would call it "charming" exactly, but, to be honest, there aren't that many areas of Paris I would call charming. Montparnasse is not just full of 60-70s buildings. It is a newer area than Ile St Louis, but for someone to claim it is the ONLY area of Paris without charm shows how little of Paris they've seen. Believe me, there are plenty parts of Paris much less charming than Montparnasse. Furthermore, the idea that hotels in ALL of the Latin Qtr are too expensive is wrong. I suppose rue de la Huchette is oozing with charm.

I like it because there are not so many tourists, it has excellent transportation connections, good stores and plenty of cafes and restaurants. Staying around train stations is not more charming than Montparnasse IMO.

I know some hotels in that range around the Daguerre area or Denfert or Montparnasse or the southern part of the Latin Qtr, but it may be getting too confusing.

BTW Ursula, if you read this, did you notice my followup to that post on the mystery cheap Latin Qtr hotel from that article? I found out which one it is -- it's the Grand Hotel du Progres on rue Gay Lussac (the author lied a little by calling it 1* as it has no stars). Now that's a Latin Qtr hotel at that rate.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Sue,
Here are just some I happen to go. Sorry, almost no time, busy packing!!

*Le Cameleon, 6, Rue Chevreuse, 6th (just next to Vavin stop, French traditional)
*Le Parc aux Cerfs, 50, Rue Vavin, 6th
(French inventive, open Sunday!)
*Brasserie Fernand, 127, Blvd. Montparnasse, 6th (French home-made style)
*Noura, 121, Blvd. Montparnasse, 6th
(Lebanese, nice garden in the back)
*Le Timbre, 3, Rue Sainte Beuve, 6th
(looks like nothing, but it's a not to miss according to my friends. It's on my list for May! It's tiny!)
*Le Vavin Cafe, corner Rue Vavin/Rue Notre Dame des Champs, 6th ('my' espresso place)
*La Mamma, 46, Rue Vavin (if you should need a pizza!)
*Le Bistrot du Dome,1, Rue Delambre, 14th (seafood, probably the most expensive of my suggestions)
*La Rotonde, 105, Blvd. Montparnasse (brasserie with sidewalk cafe, good for a drink or snack)
*Cafe Odessa, just opposite the metro stop Edgar Quinet (for a snack and people watching)
*Lots of crepe places on Rue Odessa and Rue Montparnasse

Note, Blvd. Montparnasse marks the border between the 6th and the 14th arr.
North is 6th, south side 14th.

Rue Delambre is great. You can use either Vavin or Edgar Quinet metro stops. There are some sushi, Asian take-aways, two bakeries and a small, but hidden grocery store (where I usually stock up on water and drinks). Nice cheese shop right behind Le Dome (not to confuse with the Bistrot du Dome).

Do try the buses that run on Blvd. Montparnasse and Blvd. Raspail. They take you almost anywhere in Paris.

Hope, these suggestions are fine with you as well.
OK, I better start doing what has to be done.

Enjoy Paris!

Christina,
Yes, merci, I did read the solution to that mystery hotel. Didn't I add a reply?
Oh my, I am kind of stressed these days. Leaving Thursday for Cuba and will be working all day tomorrow. ((
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks, Ursula! I was hoping you'd see my question. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Violagirl -

If you can get a room at the Jean D'arc, grab it! (But I've tried to book there months in advance at least a couple of times and they've always been full....)

The parishotels.com website will let you search for availability by dates, which might be helpful for you since you are going soon and during such a busy time.

Bonne chance!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Thanks, Sue. 11h hours on the plane. Nonstop. Don't want to think about it know. Paris is so much closer!

If you should happen to be night owl, go to The Rosebud on Rue Delambre.
A famous hang out place. Noisy and smoky. Be warned.
And on Rue Vavin, opposite La Mamma, there is Cuban cafe, just in case!

But there are always the famous large brasseries, of course, like La Coupole.

Oh, and don't miss Jean-Paul Hevin's, chocolate shop! Very low odd house number on Rue Vavin, almost next to the Lux.G. Its window is a jaw dropper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -