Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you sew, do you know where I might find 'tube' fabric?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening all, If any of you sew, or are fabric hounds when traveling, I'm in search of souvenir fabric. Years ago, we found some boxers made from 'London Tube' fabric. Cut them up and used them in a small quilt. I'm now on the hunt for larger pcs or by the meter. London and Paris landmards, The tube or Metro on fabric. Anyone out there know what I'm talking about? It'd be so expensive to buy lots of boxers(if they are still available) and hard to get longs strips from them.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM

The Tube designs are copyrighted, so fabric reproduction would require permission. I would contact Transport for London and ask who was licensed to produce the fabric.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM

I imagine it's the same thing with Paris, that the designs would be copyrighted. There is a RATP metro store that sells various metro items such as T-shirts, boxer shorts, socks, caps, etc. That is in the Chatelet-Les Halles metro stop. Here is their online description of items:
http://www.ratp.fr/boutique/p_mode.shtml

I think I've seen various cloth shopping bag type things with photos of Parisian landmarks, in souvenir shops. In any case, there are several large fabric shops up in Montmartre that would be my best suggestion of where to go. Dreyfus is a big, wellknown one at the Marche St. Pierre. Here is their URL
http://www.marche-saint-pierre.fr/
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Now I've got a starting place for my hunt! I hadn't thought of the copyright angle,which makes sense. Will contact both transportation companies. Of course, if all else fails, I can buy XL boxers to cut up! Thanks again.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 07:52 AM

vms, I don't know if you only want to get the fabric in London or Paris, but if you want some here, try www.equilter.com. Go to the fabric store and put Paris in the search box. They have a bunch of designs for Paris and also one with landmarks of the world that shows both the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben. There wasn't much under a search for London.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Susan, Thank you so much. What a great site that is. Found the 2 fabrics that you mentioned and I think they'll work beautifully! Thanks again.

Viv