COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideal May itinerary for 9 days solo by train, into & out of Munich?

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

This will be my first time in southern Germany after many previous trips to Europe. I'm flying into Munich on a Saturday & out of Munich on a Monday 9 days later (Memorial Day). I will be travelling by myself and don't plan to rent a car -- I'd rather travel by train. I know I'd like to take a daytrip to Dachau but otherwise don't have firm plans, & would love suggestions. I'm thinking of spending 3 nights in Munich and then maybe head to Salzburg & Innsbruck for 3 nights each, & using them as bases for daytrips, although I'm open. I enjoy hiking, mountains, good food & wine (& beer), castles, & photography. If you were me, what would your ideal itinerary be for this trip? Would love recommendations for centrally-located accommodations in Munich, Salzburg, Innsbruck for a solo traveller, under $100/nt., convenient to public transportation. Thanks.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM

Salzburg is a reasonably good base for Hallstatt, Chiemsee (in Germany) and Berchtesgaden/Konigssee daytrips. Innsbruck really wasn't that special for me. Instead, you might spend a couple of days in Garmisch and daytrip to Mittenwald, the Zugspitze, etc. (the area could also be done as a daytrip from Munich but is worth more time.)

Closer to Munich, Andechs Monastery is great for beer and traditional food in an informal setting outdoors - and very popular. It makes a great daytrip - take the S-Bahn out to Herrsching and walk up (2-3 km? - not very hard - lots of elderly Germans make the trip.)
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM

lisa,

Your upcoming trip to Southern Bavaria sounds terrific.

After landing in Munich, might I suggest that you take a train south to the twin towns of Garmisch/Partenkirchen, with the latter being a more relaxed and less touristy alternative to the former. This area makes a great base from which to explore a seemingly endless selection of castles, abbeys, and mountains. Consider trips to King Ludwig II's Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, and Hohenschwangau, along with the rococo splendor of Ettal and Wieskirche. Moreover, get elevated at the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain. You'll want at least three overnights in this region.

Next, consider a fairly long train ride east to Salzburg, where you can enjoy the Old World charms of this compact city. Spend two nights here.

As a follow-up, head back into the German countryside for two overnights in and around Berchtesgaden and the Konigsee. The former features a salt mine, and the latter offers a lovely, unspoiled lake. Hiking possibilities abound.

Finally, spend your final two overnights in Munich, a bit of a pity, as the city warrants a lengthier stay. Still, a short stay will give you a taste of the place, and there's always next year.

In closing, the preceding offers you a nice blend of urban and rural, and a nice introduction to the pleasures of southern Germany and Austria.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Since you both mention Garmisch, Berchtesgaden/Konigsee, and the Zugspitze I will be sure to include them as "don't miss" items in my itinerary. From your responses I gather Salzburg is worth some time but you think there are better uses for my time on this trip than Innsbruck. Do either of you have recommendations for places to stay in Munich (centrally-located, under around $100), Salzburg (ditto), Garmisch/Partenkirchen, or the area around Berchtesgaden & the Konigsee? Thanks again.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:20 AM

I don't have rec.'s for Munich or Salzburg - haven't stayed there in years. When in the area, we used Salzburg to get to Hallstatt and Berchtesgaden, so no rec's there either, I'm afraid.

More recently, we stayed in Mittenwald, a precious little village outside Garmisch-P. (easy train access) and a bit higher in the Alps. More scenic and atmospheric than Garmisch-P., I would gleefully stay there again. Most of the B&B's and Gastaeuser are within walking distance from the train station, but check on location before booking. We picked a place out of the hat - Haus Isarstrand, a private B&B - and paid around $20/person. It was very nice - clean, comfy rooms and terrific breakfast - except for the fact that one of the owners had a health disorder that caused some pretty severe body odor - it permeated the hallway. So I wouldn't pass the place on to others for this reason. But you can find a healthy number of places in roughly this price range at the following website:

www.mittenwald.de/index-english.html

I'd recommend a Bavarian Evening at the Fraundorfer in Garmisch - good traditional food and beer, music, and dance, lots of fun!

You can travel around Bavaria - including Salzburg - on a cheap daypass called the Bayern ticket; read about it under the "Landertickets" link at the following page:

http://www.bahn.de/pv/view/int_guest...national.shtml

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:31 AM

I forgot to give you this second website. It's in German only, apparently, but lists pensions, hotels, Gasthaeuser, Privatvermieter (private B&B's), and Bauernhoefe (farms) in Mittenwald. After you click on the link for each place, you can usually click on "Lageplan" to get a town map with the location indicated.

www.mittenwald-info.de/gastge.html

(EZ = single room)
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM

lisa,

I can provide you with several accommodation recommendations, all of which are moderately priced.

Munich's Hotel Uhland is a terrific place to "hang your hat" for a few nights. It's a family-owned/run business that offers superb, highly personalized service, and is nicely located on a quiet residential street that's just a short stroll from the Oktoberfest grounds. See www.hotel-uhland.de for more information.

In Salzburg you'd be wise to book a couple nights at the Hotel-Pension Jedermann (www.hotel-jedermann.com). This small, bright, ultra-tidy modern pension is located about a ten-minute walk from Mirabelle Gardens. Service is friendly, and breakfasts are quite good.

Finally, allow me to give a "thumbs-up with qualifications" to the Gasthof Fraundorfer, located in the pretty village of Partenkirchen. The gasthof has much Old World charm, and some rooms offers terrific mountain views. In addition, the Fraundorfer is nicely situated, a good base for exploring southeren Bavaria. Still, we found some of the service to be less than warm, a bit curt, and parking was also an issue. All in all, however, I'd recommend that you give the Fraundorfer a whirl. See www.gasthof-fraundorfer.de

Best of luck.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again David & Russ.

After much research, I've decided to spend the first three nights in Garmisch-Partenkirchen at the Posthotel (w/ daytrips to Mittenwald, Zugspitze, & Neuschwanstein), then train to Salzburg for 3 nights at the Hotel Elefant (w/ daytrip to Berchtesgaden), and finally 3 nights in Munich w/ a daytrip to Dachau (in Munich I'm debating between Hotel Platzl and Hotel An der Ober).

Can't wait!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:01 PM

We stayed at the Platzl and thought it very nice indeed. The room we had was quite large, with one wall of built-in cupboards and closets (ideal if you like to shop). And the location, quite near the main square, was ideal. Have a meal at Peterhof, which features excellent sausages, sauerkraut, home-baked breads, and fresh mustard.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:28 AM

If you are planning to be in Garmisch on Thursday 20 May, you ought to go to the little town of Ettal a few km north and become part of the village's Ascension Day activities which begin at the monastery there. Canons are fired, the church bells ring, and a parade in costume leads from the church square to the village square. It's a precious piece of Bavarian culture which ought not to be missed.