Reload this Page >

Late May advice for Nature lovers. Two days in Munich + Salzburg

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ITINERARY FEEDBACK NEEDED. Late May 2019. Two days in Munich, two in Salzburg

My wife and I are looking for from this trip revolve around nature (I am a photographer), mild weather (some snow might be okay) and some peace/quiet. Other things:
- Beautiful landscapes
- Wildlife
- Wild Flowers
- Waterfalls
- Hiking
- Scenic Railroads
- BEER: for me

We fly info Munich early Saturday, May 25th, and plan on taking a train to Salzburg morning of Monday, May 27th.

A few questions

1. If I only had one destination for beer in Munich, where would you recommend?

2. Given our interests above, where should we stay in Munich? We like quaint/cozy/non-commercial. Any other tips on what to see/do?

3. I read that the scenic railroad through Garmisch to Innsbruck is beautiful. Is it worth taking that route, then to Salzburg? I realize this may take up a whole day, but if it is scenic we are fine with that.

4. If we should go direct to Salzburg via train, what do you recommend for a scenic route?

5. We are considering spending two days in the Garmisch area AFTER Salzburg. Is the landscape/scenery drastically different than what we will see in Munich/Salzburg? If so, what are some must-dos.

6. Another option is to train down into the Dolomites from Salzburg. Is that trip painful as far as travel time? Worth trying in late May?
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:44 AM

Well, the Garmisch-Innsbruck-Salzburg rail trip is scenic the whole way especially Innsbruck-Salzburg part which plies an Alpine valley the whole way. But that's a whole day on a train. Book train tickets in advance to get discounted fares - www.seat61.com has loads on doing that - general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. The Munich-Salzburg direct railway is mildly scenic. If doing that the Bavarian Pass using regional trains would cost all of about 35 euros for 2 travelers.

How long is your whole trip?

Beer Hall Munich - well the outdoor beer hall at the Chinese Pagoda in the lovely Englischer Gardens is nice and the Hofbrauhaus in Munich is nice too but full of foreign tourists - there are other beer company operated beer halls and gardens too.

I'd consider doing the Austrian Lake District rather than Garmisch - the 'Sound of Music' country where much of the film was filmed:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aust...iw=639&bih=614

A lovely area of lake and mountains - take a mountain train up the mountain backdropping St Wolfgang and do easy hikes into nature.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 04:58 PM

We did a quick but full trip in September that included Switzerland, Germany (Fussen area was beautiful, castles, bike ride); and Austria (Salzburg and scenic trip to magnificent lake Hallstatt, one of the most beautiful places anywhere. Here is our trip report: 3 Countries, 8 Places, 8 Nights, Awesome!
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 09:17 PM

Hi noslenwerd,

I live in Garmisch, so I hope I can address some of your questions.

First, I'm curious what you mean by "two days" in a place -- having two full days somewhere means that you are staying three nights. Staying two nights gets you only one full day.

I personally would not like my experience of nature to be from a train window. Best if you get off the train, get onto a trail, and try to leave behind all/most of the man-made stuff. Get out into the countryside where your experience will involve all of your senses, especially your nose as you breathe that incredible mountain air. So, no, I would not spend one of your few days in the area on a train.

Yes, of course the experience will be vastly different between Munich/Salzburg and Garmisch. Munich has a population of 1.45 million, Salzburg has about 152,000 people, while Garmisch has a population of around 25,000. While you can get into nature and the mountains in Salzburg and Munich, nature will practically be on your doorstep and in your face in Garmisch. The atmosphere of Garmisch will be quieter.

Btw, if you do decide to take the train from Munich to Innsbruck, don't use the Bavarian Ticket as Pal suggests -- the Werdenfels + Innsbruck ticket is a little cheaper. Neither of those tickets is valid between Innsbruck and Salzburg.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 10:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree that nature is not well photographed from a train (or bus) window. In late October I was traveling via train from Trieste to Vienna on a gorgeous day and through equally gorgeous scenery; however, the combination of dirty train windows and glare from the lighting made nearly all of my snaps terrible.

If it's hiking and wildflowers that you seek, maybe consider the Salzkammergut over Salzburg. From 11 May the Schafbergbahn (nostalgic train) will be operational, as will the Zwölferhorn cable car.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 01:00 AM

Question #1 is easy.
Augustinerkeller beer garden, quite close to the central railway station.
https://www.augustinerkeller.de/beer-garden/?L=1

Hirschgarten beer garden is a bit nicer when you want/can sit outdoors much bigger, and takes longer to get there.
Augustinerkeller also has an impressive indoors/ beer hall, just in case the weather does not play along.
Plus, Augustiner is the best beer in Munich.