Reutte/Fussen Home Base?

Jun 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Reutte/Fussen Home Base?

Can you please tell me if it is reasonable to drive from Munich and plan to spend 3 nights at a home base in either Reutte or Fussen and plan to day trip to the following locations:
Salzburg (SOM Tour)
Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest)
Konigsee
Zugspitze
Neuschwanstein
Is it too much and if so, what would you eliminate as too touristy? Is it worth adding another night to this area (at the expense of a day spent in the Black Forest area)? Also, is there another home base you'd recommend? Thanks so much! Jane
Jun 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Hi,
Very easy to drive from Munich to Fussen area.
Just my opinion here..
To see Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Konigssee, Eagle's nest, etc., I'd base in Berchtesgaden area. You could easily see Ludwig's Herrenchiemse from here also.
With Fussen as a base, you could see...
Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau castle's are just minutes away, Tegelbergbahn and luge ride are a mile from the castles, a drive to Ehrwald, Austria and the Zugspitze, Linderhof castle and the Wieskirche.
Berchtesgaden area and Salzburg are about 2 hours south east of Munich, Fussen/Reutte about 2 hours south west of Munich.

You'll have 2 (maybe 3) full days so I'd pick one or the other depending on what you're interested in seeing.
Although touristy, we love Fussen.
I can suggest Ramsau as a less touristy alternative to staying in Berchtesgaden. It's about 15 min. from Konigssee and Berchtesgaden.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:54 AM
ira

Hi J,

>..home base in either Reutte or Fussen and plan to day trip to the following locations:
Salzburg (SOM Tour)
Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest)
Konigsee

Fuessen is 220 km from Dalzburg - about 3 hr.

I don't think that you will be able to do all that in 1 day.

Jun 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Most of the places you want to see are, except for Zugspitze and Neuschwanstein, are in the eastern half of the German alps.

With this in mind, I probably would spend eneough time in Garmisch to do Neuschwanstein and the Zugspitze from there, and then move to Berchtesgaden, as suggested.

Bad Toelz is another option, but you woukd spend at least 1 hour to get near the places you want to see, either in the Garmisch or B'gadn area.

The one place I usually recommend for the eatern part of Bavaria is Prien. It's just 4km from the boat landings to Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee palace, 1 hour (by train) to Salzburg and 1 hour (by train) to Munich and about the same time (by train) to B'gdn.
Jun 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Three years ago we based in Reutte and had easy accesibility to Neuschwanstein, Linderhof,Weiskirche, Fussen, the Zugspitze. We then drove to Munich. Agree with previous poster that Prien am Chiemsee is also very lovely.
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Hi all

I am considering spending 10 days in the 2 areas mentioned above - 5 nights based in Fussen and 5 nights at St Gilgen or Berchtesgaden.

Could someone advise if 10 days is too much time or just right.

Also could someone recommend a hotel/B&B should I opt to stay in Berchtesgaden, around 150E per night.

Many thanks!

s
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM
ira

Hi S,

Will you have a car?

Jun 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Yes ira. I will actually be driving over from Strasbourg and after Germany/Austria, I'll be driving back to Paris with a couple of overnight stops to break up the drive. Perhaps you can suggest these as well.

Many thanks!

s
Jun 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Sounds like fun to me, but I prefer Oberammergau to Fussen as a better location. It does call for 2 locations to see all of that.
Jun 19th, 2007, 11:54 PM

bob

Why?

Could you recommend accommodation in Oberammergau.

s
Jun 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM
ira

Hi Swag,

>I will...be driving over from Strasbourg and after Germany/Austria, I'll be driving back to Paris with a couple of overnight stops to break up the drive.<

For Strasbourg/Fuessen, I strongly recommend 2-3 nights on the Bodensee (Lake Constance). This will give you 3-4 nights for Fuessen and 4 for Austria.

In Fuessen, 1 day goes for the castles; 1 day for Linderhof, Oberammergau and the Wieskirch; 1 day for Rothenburg odT.

You might also consider going from the Bodensee to RodT, down the Romantic Road to Fuessen and then on to Austria.

I would recommend staying in St. Gilgen or Hallstatt and visiting Salzburg, the Salzkammergut lakes and Berchtesgaden from there.

Have you considered picking up your car in Strasbourg, visiting Germany and Austria, dropping the car in Strasbourg and taking the train to Paris?

If you do that, you can save 4 hrs of driving.

Hope this helps.

Jun 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Thanks again ira.

The driving does not worry me. We will stop in another town enroute to Paris to break up the 4-hour drive if required.

Subsequent to your advice, my tentative itinerary will look likebr />
Fussen 4 nights;
St Gilgen/Salzburg 5 nights (probably more to see in this area(?)). I am very tempted to stay in Salzburg given the wider choice of eateries;
Bodensee 3 nights (on the return leg back to France)

s

Jun 20th, 2007, 07:45 AM

I like 4 nites in Ober.--look at Gasthof zur Rose for good value and Hotel Turmwirt for ambiance.
We love St. Gilgen and suggest Gasthof Post. Easy to spend 5 nites there and see Salzburg and Hallstatt and more from that location.
Jun 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM

We stayed in Fussen 2 nights to see Neuschwanstein,Zugspize, Linderhof palace, and other places and then stayed in Berchtesgaden 3 nights to see Eagle's Nest, Konigsee (which is beautiful), and Salzburg. I think it is too far from Fussen to do day trips to Salzburg, but can be done. I don't know if I would waste my time and money 45E to see Zugspitze. It was clear at the bottom and snowing at the top so we could not see anything.(end of May)

We also skipped the Black Forest area, too much driving and stayed an extra night in Mittenwald on the way to Berchtesgaden. Mittenwald is very beautiful town.
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
ira

Hi Swag,

Have you seen my trip report?
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Jun 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM

Sue878

Could you share with us details of your accommodation in Mittwald and Berchtesgaden?

Thx!

s
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM

ira

I have downloaded your trip report for reference but haven't had the time to read and digest same. Will do so soon and thanks for sharing your experience on this forum.

s
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM

Swagman:

In Mittenwald we stayed at the Post Hotel Mittenwald. VERY nice hotel, a little expensive $120E, but would highly recommend it.

In Berchtesgaden, we stayed at the Hotel Wittelsbach. About 70-80E a night, with parking behind the hotel in town. I would recommend this hotel also. We did a day trip to Salzburg from Berchtesgade and I highly recommend a boat ride at Konigsee. We went first thing in the morning before it got crowed. Very beautiful place.
www.hotelwittelsbach.com/hotel_engl.htm

Hope this helps.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM

We also enjoyed the Konigsee. What a beautiful lake! I just wish we had known in advance about all the hiking trails around the area so we could have scheduled more time there. Unfortunately we only had time to take the boat to/from St. Bartholomew and walk around for a half-hour because we had a deadline for turning in our rental cars.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM

Hi janebrackett - you may want to take a look at the website for Hotel Ruebezahl in Schwangau www.neuschwanstein-hotel.com. We stayed there years ago for a week during Christmas.it was a wonderful experience. Some of the rooms have balconies from which you can see the castle Neuschwanstein and it was very easy to do day trips to Zugspitze, Linderhof, and many places nearby.

As other posters have suggested you may want to stay closer to Berchtesgaden to visit Salzburg and Eagle's Nest, we also stayed in a gasthaus near Konigsee which is a beautiful area. Enjoy.
Susan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO