Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

i hope this isnt a dumb or repetitive question about...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:19 AM
ang
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have checked out treni italia and rail europe-- what is the difference? i put in rome to perugia and rail europe showed me just two es trains and times. the other site showed me ic and diretto also. for ex., to go to perugia, i could change in foligno.

also, as far as es prices, rail europe said rome to perugia first class was $40 and second, $29 and then i am assuming there is the supplement which i believe was $20 for first class and $16 for second. what is the difference between es first and second besides the $?? i am planning to buy that ticket once i arrive in termini(i will be leaving the next day). i understand there is a travel agency inside termini? i am going to call rail europe in the meantime. thanks
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:28 PM
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34437151

As you can see, your question IS repetitive, but there are NO dumb questions here.

Many of "us" do find it annoying that you would post a question which gives NO indication in the message header as to what info you are seeking.

It's inappropriately attention-seeking - - demanding that everyone open your question to see what it's about.

It's a learning curve thing. Come back often and enjoy.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I don't know Italian rail info that much, but I can tell you a few things.

Raileurope is a private travel agency. Treni italia is the state railroad. Raileurope sells all kinds of products and tickets, you can see that from their web site, and they are not a nonprofit agency abroad. So, they have a markup for profit and costs of their agency. That is why prices are different. That is also why they don't list all schedules, because they probably don't have the time to reproduce every public rail schedule on their web site. If you look at their pages closely, they have notes somewhere that tell you they only list some of the most popular routes on their web site, it is not comprehensive.

As for differences in class, I haven't taken italian trains, but many others and it is always the same -- first class costs more because it is nicer and more comfortable. Because it costs more, it is often less crowded, also.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM
ira

Hi ang,

I think that you will find this link helpful for Italy information. http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34443340

If you go to www.trenitalia.com you will find that you can take a regional train that takes 35 min longer, but is direct, for only 16E 1st cl.

That is the difference.

Buy your ticket in Italy and save.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:50 PM
ang
Original Poster

thanks ira, i am planning to buy my tickets in italy. i have been to italy twice and i just went to the ticket window and bought tickets. now , i am getting a little confused because i am collecting alot of information.

also, sorry rex, all i wanted to do was pique your curiosity to open my question. i wasnt trying to be annoying.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:24 AM
rex

And I wasn't trying to be lecture-y. It's just a good example of the golden rule. What if every single poster wanted to "pique the curiosity" of other readers? If the only kinds of message headers were "Help", "Do you know?" and "Can you tell me?"...