Advice on Eurostar Italy ticket purchase

Oct 15th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Windy

Advice on Eurostar Italy ticket purchase

We will be arriving in Florence on November 2 (Saturday), staying the night there and then taking the train to Venice the next day (Sunday).

My question is, do we wait till we arrive on Saturday to purchase our Sunday tickets (this is a holiday weekend in Italy) OR do we go ahead and pay more and book our tickets through the RailEurope site?

I guess our main concern is that we will not be able to get a ticket for Sunday since it is a holiday weekend and everyone will be using the trains pretty heavily, trying to get home. But at the same time, it is going to cost us $111US to buy the tickets through the RailEurope site, which sounds like a bit much.

Your suggestions?

Oct 15th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Rex

Buy them upon arrival in Florence, the day before.

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 15th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Ira

Hi Windy,
You can purchase first class tickets on the Italian railway website (www.trenitalia.com) for 39 Euro each way.
Have the tickets sent to your hotel or they will give you a booking code and you can collect the tickets at the train station.
Have fun.

Oct 15th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Walter

Honestly I haven't a clue but this is a 3-day weekend holiday (Fri-Sun) in Italy isn't it?
If so and it was me I would "bite the bullet" on the cost and get my tickets thru RailEurope. And I would never think of normally buying tickets thru them because of their mark-up.
I've read posts usually about Easter travel where posters have said no problem, "buy them when you get there" (days before). But they've ended up sitting on their bags in the aisle on one of the slow multi-stop *crowded* trains.
As far as reserving tickets on "trenitalia" unless things have changed *very* recently, you'd be hard pressed to find any posts of anyone who has been able to reserve tickets online outside of Italy. I believe it won't allow registration (addresses) outside Italy?
Bottom line is the "extra cost" vs. "piece of mind". Either way on Nov 3 in the Florence Train Station you'll either be cursing Rex or Me). Regards, Walter

Oct 15th, 2002, 08:54 PM
umm

Wouldn't that be "peace of mind"?

Or are you trying to give her "a piece of your mind"?

Oct 15th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Santa Chiara

Walter, you are 100 percent correct (I think). I don't think you can yet buy tickets outside of Italy, and I question how effective it is to buy tickets online IN Italy.

My only proviso is that on Sunday Windy will be traveling from Florence to Venice on Sunday. Most workers will be returning to Milan. So she may have problems on the Florence to Bologna leg, but it "shouldn't" be too crowded on the Bologna to Venice leg.

Luckily trains leave about every hour from Florence to Bologna, then she would have to make a less-frequent connection to Venice (I think, haven't looked it up.)

Bottom line, I would in this case consider buying tickets from RailEurope or being flexible enough to take a later train if need be.

Oct 15th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Helen Donegan

You are going to be travelling at a busy time but you should still be able to get tickets when you arrive here. If you want to book in advance the worst you could do would be use Rail Europe, it is by far the most exensive.
Here is a page that should help with information:
tp://www.italywithus.biz/main_pages/travel/public_transport.htm

Oct 16th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Geoff Hamer

The trains will be very busy on Sunday afternoon and evening with people returning after a long weekend away, but shouldn't be too busy on a Sunday morning. Slower trains run every hour between Bologna and Venezia; even first class on the slow Inter-regional train will be cheaper than second-class on a Eurostar, and first class is likely to be less crowded than second-class. The whole journey from Firenze ("Florence") to Venezia is relatively short so the time difference between a Eurostar and Inter-regional train is not great.

Oct 16th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Ira

Thank you, Walter for pointing out my error in a pleasant manner.

Windy, have you asked your hotel if they could get the tickets for you?

Oct 16th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Ira

Hi Windy
Have you tried www.railsaver.com?

Oct 17th, 2002, 12:07 AM
loveitalia

You can always buy a train ticket at the train station, the offices are always open, weekends included. I would not pre-buy a pass beforehand because you may not even need it for that many days. Oftentimes, passes are not checked on trains and we went 4 days in a row without getting validated. Unfortunately, we had pre-paid for a 10 day pass and ended up losing the days and money. Buy when you get there!