Buying Trenitalia Tickets Question - Translation Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at buying my point-to-point tickets on-line at the Trenitalia website for Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice. When I got to the &quot;type of fare&quot; page, there were 11 types of fares and the descriptions were in Italian. I could not tell which one is which. I could use some translations please.<BR><BR>Here are the descriptions listed:<BR> Intera<BR> Carta Verde<BR> Carta Prima<BR> Offerta Familiglia<BR> Ticket Ammissione Eurostar per Abbonati<BR> had ES logo<BR> Carta Blu<BR> Ragazzi<BR> Carta Argento<BR> Carta Amico Treno<BR> Carta Club Eurostar<BR> Diritto Ammissione - had ES logo <BR><BR>I don't have any &quot;train&quot; cards. I am wanting tickets with reservations on the Eurostar.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:42 AM
rex

I am pretty sure that you want &lt;&lt;Intera&gt;&gt; (&quot;whole&quot; or in other words, &quot;full fare&quot. But others on this website have consistently reported that it is not possible to buy tickets on trenitalia.com if you are outside Italy.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I am not sure it is possible to buy them online even if you are in Italy. I do know that the Italian language portion is much more robust than the English version. This means that you have to put the city names in Italian (Roma, Firenze, Venezia). When I get totally frustrated, I just go to bahn.de to see what the schedules are. <BR><BR>If you are going to be in Rome for a day or two before you leave for Florence, just get them there. Just get reserved tickets for ES (EuroStar) and you will be fine.<BR><BR>And you do NOT have to stamp your tickets for EuroStar.<BR><BR>Good luck. Have fun.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Go to www.raileurope.com and everything is in &quot;American&quot;. Much easier. Melissa
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 08:56 AM

If you go to RailEurope just use the schedules, but don't buy your tickets there. The mark-up is outrageous. Buying your tickets in Italy will be much less expensive.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM
ira

Hi Adriatix,<BR> You can only buy from trenitalia on line from inside Italy, as you have to provide a valid ID number.<BR><BR> You can purchase tickets and reservations at reasonable cost from [email protected] or <BR>1-800-533-3341
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:43 AM

Yes, I meant check the scheduals on www.raileurope.com and then buy them directly in Italy. Mel
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:02 PM

I lived in Italy for two years and occasionally bought tickets on-line. You want &quot;intera&quot; unless you have some basis for a discount (discount card, senior citizen, etc). You can buy them on-line and I thought there was an English version of the web site that would take you through it. In any case, you register on the site and will receive a password and screen name; then buy on-line with a credit card; you will get a reservation number which you will have to enter into a ticket machine at the station, or give to one of the ticket clerks at the station -- who, by the way, will speak enough English to help you. Since you have to go to the ticket machine or window anyway to buy a ticket I would suggest just buying them there in Italy. Unless you want a first class seat on a Eurostar during rush hours between the major cities you will get a seat even if you buy a ticket there at the last minute. Be sure to check the strike schedules in the International Herald Tribune so you do not plan you train trip when the there are no trains. Italy there are more strike but the duration is limited by law and must be announed in advance so only the tourists are really taken off guard. Enjoy your trip. There is no place like Italy.