Trenitalia

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:16 PM
kam

Trenitalia

How can register with Trenitalia to buy tickets online? I see no options for sign up on their website.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Sara

You will be very lucky if you can get Trenitalia web site to work. If you tell us where you want to travel too, someone will probably advise you if you need to book in advance (if this is what you want to do)
I was advised on this site to purchase tickets from the automated machine at the train station when I arrived at Rome. This was the right thing to do even though I wanted to travel there and back to Florence in the rush hour in a day or so's time.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Ken L

Kam, Someone stated the Italian version of the Trenitalia web site allows this. Of course, one has to speak Italian. Best bet seems to be right in the stations at the machines.
Ken L

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Denise

Kam

Went on the trenitalia italian site for you...doesn't require a lot of italian to figure out but it does require an italian "codice fiscale" and it has the nationality already filled in as italian. It appears that you wouldn't be able to register using the italian version of the website. Sorry!

I agree with Sara that you should just wait and purchase the tickets once you get to italy. I haven't used the self service machines but have bought tickets from the window with no trouble.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Ira

Hi Kam
If you would prefer having your ticket and reservation with you when you arrive, try www.railsaver.com.

I believe that they can sell you tickets for Italy. They are more expensive, of course.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:46 AM
kam

Thanks for the info. I think I will just follow the majority advice and buy my tickets from the train station in Rome.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:33 PM
jmok

You can buy also at travel agaency in Italia.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Alice Twain

Jmock

That's rhight, you cna buy tickets also from any travel agency, but sometimes the travel agencies add a (small) fee to the ticket price, sometimes they just don't bother with reserving the seats (always ask explicitely to reserve: "prenotazione", either at the window or at travel agencies) and thesoftware that manages the travel agencies' reservations has a few bugs, which cause a few (FEW, only a FEW!) cases of seats being booked by two people at the same time.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:22 AM
kathy

I cannot see why you would want to book any tickets before leaving for Italy, it is so easy to purchase a ticket on the day or a week or day before, it doesn't matter which, in the train station in Florence alone there are two separate ticket selling areas as well as a separate area again just for train information.