Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to meet people while traveling alone in Italy

Jun 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I'm booking a vacation to Italy this Sept. or Oct. I'll probably visit the Amalfi Coast, Naples and Rome. My husband and friends can't go with me, so I'll be traveling alone. I feel comfortable going out alone during the day but would prefer to have people to hang out with at night. Do you have any suggestions for meeting people? Thanks!
Jun 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Stay in Youth Hostels rather than hotels, I've met lots of people that way
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:09 PM

I travel to Europe every year by myself. I seem to meet people all the time... standing in lines, visiting churches, at the hotel, and while in restaurants.

While in Italy, I met so many people that I just can't believe it.

The couple in Venice that I'd meet up with at the end of the night at the hotel's concierge lounge where we'd chat about our day.

Another couple in Venice at the same hotel that said to me one evening, 'You got off the boat at the first stop this morning... where did you go? Please join us at our table and tell us about your day.' We talked for many hours that night with complimentary cocktails flowing... so many that I decided to have dinner in the hotel that night! ;-) Thank you Northern England!

In Siena, I met 2 couples from the US only because I was carrying a 'Tourism Ireland' bag as my day bag. One of the women saw it and approached me asking where I had gotten that bag. Philadelphia Flower Show, I responded... where she had gotten the same bag! Long conversation followed with her calling over her husband and the other couple.... I know if I had wanted, I could have joined them for dinner.

Same bag started another conversation in Florence with a couple from England.

And, then in Sorrento, I had just purchased my ticket to Capri when a couple were being given a hard sell by the agent to purchase a round trip with a set return time. I told them that they could purchase the one-way and buy the return when they figured out which boat they wanted to return to Sorrento. We ended up chatting while waiting for the boat. The next day, I ran into them in Pompeii. They were leaving for Rome that day, I said that I'd be in Rome in a few days. We arranged for cocktails and dinner in Rome and then followed up that night with pictures at the Trevi fountain of us together!

Then there was the couple with the nun in a restaurant in Assisi... you get my point.
Sorry to be so long... just wanted to let you know that you can meet people all over! I'm sure there are other situations that I had in Italy but I'm off to do something else at the moment and need to sign off!

Have fun! Enjoy your trip!
Jul 1st, 2011, 03:42 AM

It is a good question to ask. We were approached in Bologna once by an American backpacker, desperate to speak unaccented English after three weeks on the road.
Jul 1st, 2011, 08:32 AM

You can meet up with people through Couch Surfing (www.couchsurfing.org). You don't have to stay with them--there is a whole set of people who just want to be friendly in a foreign land that you can get to know thru the online community. You have plenty of time between now & then to set up something. If you like photography you can meet people thru Flickr or find out about "meetups" where you are traveling. I've made very nice friends abroad thru that particular hobby.
Jul 1st, 2011, 08:58 AM

Make sure you stay in a hostel rated well for it's friendliness and social aspects. People are always so willing to meet and make new friends. Standing in line at ticket counters and at restaurants is a great way. Loads of people speak English and it is incredible how people can bond over that. Just be friendly and you will for sure meet folks!

p.s. Naples is so much fun. Pizzeria di Michele for the BEST most authentic pizza you will ever have.
Jul 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM

I often spend several days alone before or after a business trip. I always meet people in hotels - either inthe breakfst room or the lobby or the reading room or whatever. If you hang out, write some postcars, look at a guide booka dn have a drink - it will be very esy to get into conversation with other tourists - esp friends travleing together. Avoid single men for obviuos reasons unless that is what you are looking for - and families with kids are usually focused on them. Frequently I end up having dinner with these people or having a drink or whatever. Teh best options IMHO are Americans, Canadians, Australians, the British and latin americans. I find many europeans are less open.
Jul 1st, 2011, 10:04 AM

Just start talking to nice strangers.
Jul 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! These are great tips. I was thinking about taking a cooking class or day trips to meet people, too. I also will check out couch surfing and meetups. I'm really looking forward to the trip.
Jul 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM

Walking tours!
Jul 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM

I agree with Grassshopper, take walking tours or other types half-day tours like through Context Tours. I took a few during my trip to Rome and if they ended near lunch, I usually had met someone who wanted to grab lunch, and once I did the Vatican Museum After Hours tour and ended up with several from the group for a family style meal that lasted into the wee hours. If they're on the same tour you are, you know they at least share a common interest.
Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM

bookmarking
Jul 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM

hospitalityclub.org

for great local contacts for me

for fellow tourists just book day tours with

viator.com or other good companies u will meet

plenty of friendly folks.

journeywoman.com best web site with helpful info on this

Happy Travels!