Reload this Page >

Italy for Novices?

Search

Italy for Novices?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Bill

Italy for Novices?

Hi All--<BR>My fiance and I are looking to go to Italy for 2 weeks next October. However, neither of us have traveled very much internationally. Is Italy easy to handle for novices? Any recommendations on where to go? Thanks.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Barb

I went to school in Italy and would recommend it for first time traveler. Just know that Italians typical day is different from ours. Shops close mid-day for siesta. If you can get used to the different pace I think you will love it. Places to go, depends on how much you want to spend...Rome, Florence, Lake Como, Venice, Milan, Verona, Positano, Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii, Cinque Terre I have loved each for very different reasons. Venice to me seemed way to expensive. Everywhere else has a variety of accomodation prices and restaurants. Don't be afraid to just plan a few days and let the rest go at your own pace. I have done several trips to Italy where we only had accomodations for the first and last night - all else was on a whim. October is still fairly busy. Although some places in the Lake Districts started to shut down mid-October.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Bill

Thanks, Barb. We have around 8-10k to spend. We were thinking maybe the Amalfi Coast but don't want to be too rushed. Can a trip to Italy be a relaxing one or should we save Italy for when we want to tour?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:12 AM
DJ

Bill,<BR><BR>My husband & I went to Italy last September (Rome, Venice & Sorrento (including a day cruising the Amalfi Coast, down to Paestum). While in Sorrento we checked out Capri. Hotels ran $200 per night, with the exception of Sorrento, spent about $250. We trained it from Rome to Venice and flew from Venice to Naples (our Sorrento hotel picked us up at the airport) and we then took the train back to Rome the night prior to departure and stayed at the same hotel we'd previously stayed at. It was a great trip! We spend about $9k. This is not what we would normally spend but it was for our 15yr anniversary.<BR><BR>I wish we had 3 weeks to do this versus 2, but when we travel, we like to spend time in each place. Many folks asked "why didn't you go to Florence", but it was a matter of choice, we knew 3 destinations would be our maximum and Rome would be #1 (for the ability to step back into antiquity), Venice was #2, per the man, and the south was #3.<BR><BR>We will return for Florence.<BR><BR>Choose what you want, and give yourselves the time to enjoy the places you choose. The hotels are costlier today (I've since checked), but when we return, we will spend less on lodging (i.e. rent an apartment).<BR><BR>Happy planning.<BR><BR>DJ

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Alice Twain

Bill:<BR><BR>IMHO, yhe biggest error most tourists make when coming to Italy, especially the first time, is rushing from one place to another, doing things too fast and not really seeing anything. If I were in your place, I would plan to visit only one little bit of italy and try to get as much in depth of that little bit of Italy. The point is that Italy is really very rich of things to see, so that you may even spend your whole two weeks in Rome and still have things left for your next visit in Rome! I really think you should consider your own interests and chose one or two places to see and spend your whole time there. You will les likely be trapped in tourist traps (well, unless you plan to spend your whole two weeks in Venice, Florence or Capri!) and, while missing some of the so called "mus sees" you will be able to actually see much more, and loads of things that, despite not being as famous, are just as beautiful. So, start thinking what are your own interests (art, architecture, nature, taditions, beaches, food...) and than chose an area that offers what you are most interested in and concentrate on that area only.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Jane

Bill, in two weeks you can do the the triangle (Rome, Venice, Florence) as well as the Amalfi Coast without being too rushed. Keep in mind you can spend a week in Rome and not see it all. <BR><BR>A train pass can be purchased off the net (see railsaver.com - I think) to compare individual tickets to a pass.<BR>Hotels can be booked on the net as well.<BR>I wouldn't recommend a tour if you want to see the real Italy.<BR><BR>Review a guide book and choose what you want to see. 3-4 days in a place will give you time, without feeling really riched, just somewhat rushed.<BR> <BR>IMHO Sorrento/Amalfi Coast is wonderful.<BR>It's one of my favourite places in Italy (but then I have many). <BR><BR>The search function (above) can help alot as well.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Rex

Veterans of this forum may say that I am like a broken record with an answer like this, but I'll give it anyhow.<BR><BR>WHERE you go (in Italy, but also anywhere else in Europe) begins with WHY you think you want to go there. <BR><BR>Italy can mean so many different things to different people, and it truly is like ten different countries in one. So, I recommend that you begin with several good big picture-filled books, and make a list of the top half dozen things that make your mouth water. Is it food and wine? A connection to ancient history? The art and enlightenment of the Renaissance? The splendor of all that incredibly diverse natural geography? Mountain climbing or skiing? Water sports? Opera? the fashions of Milan? or a country where drivers of Lamborghinis and Ferraris can drive cars as they were built to be driven?<BR><BR>There's nothing wrong with saying you are dying to go see ALL this, and more. Still you have to rank your priorities, and make choices. If you want a sampler, then you have to pick what ONE (or a few) thing(s) from the time of the Caesars would you like to see? WHICH waterfront location? and why? and so on.<BR><BR>Not every part of Italy is as "easy" for novices as some, but no one place has to be off your list. And if you are willing and able, you can make this trip last for the entire next twelve months, ordering brochures, learning some Italian, savoring the trip until it gets here.<BR><BR>Last of all, do you intend for this trip to be a honeymoon? That's only partially relevant, but it affects a few decisions, mostly with regard to how to keep it stress-free PRE-travel as well as during. You have enough other stuff to think about, preparing for your wedding.<BR><BR>Congratulations on your new life in marriage, whenever that occurs.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Barb

Well you have the budget that's for sure. I think you can break it up so that some is touring and other places you will want to linger over more. On Amalfi - I loved it - Positano was a favorite as was Ravello. Amalfi I actually spent a day just walking around and getting lost in the city. In both places I showed up with a friend no hotel plans. Walked into a coffee shop and asked where was a great place for a room - plus if you tell them you are newly married! Folks will go out of there way to help you.<BR><BR>The Lake Como district is amazing and peaceful. Up near Milan. I enjoyed the hydrofoils up to various smaller cities and Villa D'Este is worth one night (very expensive - but having a glass of wine, on their patio, overlooking the lake was a pleasure.) <BR><BR>Let's say you have two weeks - do you want to train or drive. While driving in Amalfi is amusing and a little hairy I loved being able to stop and enjoy all the little towns. Pick a few major stops (2 or 3). We did Amalfi, Pompeii and Sorrento as well as Positano once on a four day weekend with a car. Believe me we had time to relax.<BR><BR>For instance Venice was only an hour by train to Verona which I loved more than Venice. Lake Como is very close to Milan by train/bus. Milan's great if you want to shop for clothes, shoes and leather. Florence I like because its manageable completely on foot. <BR><BR>Rome is Rome - so much to do and see. Museums and the Vatican. But this is your honeymoon so you want do stuff that gives you guys some downtime. Verona has Juliet's house and a great winery Sergio Allegheri that also offers rooms. You could drive there and take a day trip to Venice. Verona was three and half hours from Cinque Terre by car - but I tend to speed on highways. I loved to hike between the cities and did so with my boyfriend - what a treat! We had dinner in a castle in Vernazze (spelling is bad) middle city of Cinque Terre it was out on the bay right on the water literally in a stone castle. The chef cooked our entire dinner off the menu - and a free dessert because we talked with him. Let me know if you need hotels reco's I'm pretty low maintenance so I've stayed everywhere.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:52 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:30 PM
nothanks

I am so glad I did not listen to majority of those who keep saying don't rush from one place to another. I have done that, without thinking that was the last time I could travel. For me there will be no more Rome, hurried or in depth.<BR>Would you take a one day trip to Florence? If you had read the book "Let's Roll" describing how an event from this whirlwind quick trip turned out to leave a cherished memory of a loved one, you would have a different view of choosing destinations.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Jack

Hello there.<BR>If you want to find cheap, good value for money accommodation in Venice then pls send me an email.<BR>Have a nice day.<BR>Jack