italy itinerary suggestions

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:25 PM
marko

italy itinerary suggestions

Going to Rome for 8 days in May with spouse and two daughters,11 and 15. Would like suggestions on itinerary. Would like to see Florence, Venice, Capri, Amalfi but understand that we can't see it all. Welcome suggestions

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Carolyn

Do the big 3 and take a day tour to the Amalfi coast from Rome. If you can fly into Rome and out of Venice: 4 Rome, 2 Florence, 2 Venice, taking travel time from Florence. If you can't do those flights, Do 6 Rome & 2 Venice, and add another day trip from Rome to see the countryside, maybe Orvieto.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Alice Twain

if you have but 8 days, I would suggest to spend at least 3 days in Rome, than renting a car and driving to Florence but avoiiding to travel on the autostrada. Use a couple of days to wander across the countryside or the coast (or both) and sleeping in agritourisms that you can find by the road (do this on non week-end days!). Spen a couple days in Florence and than take the train back to Rome. This might be a hurried plan to see at least part of what you want to se, but If I were in you I would just spend the whole 8 dys in Rome, maybe allowing myself a couple of daytrips to some locations of Lazio (the region around Rome) such as Bomarzo, Bolsenza lake, Cerveteri, Castelli Romani, Terracina or Sperlonga.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:25 AM
kerry

Marko, We agonized over this very question for over a month. We just booked yesterday-8 nights in Rome.We will take 3 daytrips instead of changing hotels. You lose too much time packing and unpacking, and settling in. Daytrips we are considering are ompeii, Ostia Antica, Orvieto,Tivoli,the Appian way and Florence {which is 90 min. from Rome by train}. Buy a couple of guide books for further suggestions, mine haven't arrived yet. This trip will be heavy on Ancient ruins because our college age kids will be with us and thats what they are interested in. I too would love to see Florence and Venice, but there is always a next time. Have fun planning, Kerry

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Steve James

Hello Marko,

Are you flying into and out of Rome, or into Rome and out of Venice? The second might be better if you plan to see both.

To see both Capri and the Amalfi Coast you'd need 2 days down there. You could do one or the other as a day-trip from Rome - but it would be difficult to do both.

You could travel overnight up to Venice to save sightseeing time, - or alternatively stop in Florence for a few hours en route to Venice.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:36 AM
rob

i say skip Florence unless you're REALLY into renaissance art....or shopping. The highlight of my recent trip was actually Cinque Terre.....but.....i'm not a big city type o' person. Venice is a must.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:11 AM
jim

i was in rome for my honeymoon. one suggestion about the colessium. watch out for the gladiators. seriously. there are men dressed as gladiators that come up and jump in the picture you are about to take and then demand 10 euros. my and my wife were practically chased by three of them. oh, they also try to pick your pocket while the picture is being taken.

just thought i would give a heads-up

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Grasshopper

Wow, that's inflation! I paid 5000 lire for my gladiator picture, which by the way I love.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:17 PM
oh

Hassled by the gladdeatores? Schocking! i'm surprised you wern't hacked to death by the spelling police!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Marj

In 8 days you can do a nice trip to Venice and Florence with maybe a night in a smaller town in between. I would do 3 days Venice, 1 on the road (maybe Siena) and the rest in Florence. You can also do day trips while staying in FLorence. May should be a beautiful month to be in Tuscany. Have you been to Rome? If not, Rome and Amalfi is another possibility.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Jack

Hello there.
If you want to find cheap, good value for money accommodation in Venice then pls send me an email.
Have a nice day.
Jack