Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to Italy, where's best place to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,
I'm planning a late Spring 2004 trip to Italy and France. France I'm familiar with,
Italy I'm not. We'll be two adults and a 13 year old daughter. We'll have a week in Italy. We'd look forward to some great food, good hotels, some historic stuff, but not running around too many places, ie. no less than 2-3 nites each spot. Having never been there, where, what city would you recommend and why? Thanks.
This input will, as in past years, be most helpful.
Mark
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:24 AM

We need more input from you Mark. Italy is a BIG place!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM

In a week, either all Rome (with day trip to Pompeii and maybe another day trip) or Venice/Rome. If you are big art/museum lovers, then Rome/Florence. If this is a first trip, it's easy to find plenty to do in Rome alone. If you were to do a 2 city combo (with rome being one of the cities), spend at least 4 days in Rome. As far as good hotels, restaurants and history, almost anywhere in Italy has all that. My kids LOVED Italy.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Mark,

It really depends on your interests. But with a week, I wouldn't go more than two places. We just returned from Italy with our kids,(12 and 15) and they really loved Rome and the Amalfi Coast. My suggestion would be to spend three-four days on the Amalfi Coast with daytrips to Pompeii and Capri, then the last three-four days sightseeing in Rome.

By the way, Spring in Italy will be spectacular, and is a great time to go--
less crowds, less heat!

If you need recommendations for hotels, etc. just post again.

Good luck!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:06 PM

Hi Mark,

It sounds as if you are looking for the same things we were on our recent trip to Italy. We did 4 days Florence and 4 days Venice, and loved every minute of it.

Florence is great for art and history. Venice is great for experiencing the uniquness of the city and relaxing.

Of course, great food and wine are to be had all over Italy.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:26 PM

I'll jump into Mark's thread and ask my own question - how about a November - March visit to Italy (say Florence, Rome, Venice)? How is that in terms of weather and tourists?
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:31 PM

If you're not sure when you'll be able to return to Italy, then by all means visit Venice for at least part of that week. Florence has great art, and Rome has the wonderful architectural legacy of the Romans, but Venice is far more unique -- and, IMO, magical -- than either one.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:34 PM
ChatNoir

Don't mind pixy, her barber shaved too much hair off her back and none of her clothes fit right now.

In two weeks you could do the big three: Rome, Florence and Venice.

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:56 PM

I adored Tuscany. Personally I'd rent a car and stay S of SIena and explore the hill towns. Otherwise I'd head into Italy from France to the Cinque Terre, see www.cinqueterre.it, the kids will love the hiking! Stay 2 nights. Then to FLorence for 2 nights and end in Venice. Save Rome for another time, that takes up a week all by itself.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Definitely don't miss Venice.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Mark: With a week in Italy, I'd probably do Venice, Florence and Rome. You could spend a couple of nights in each place and get to see what I consider the big 3. Venice is awesome. Never really wanted to see it, but after I did, can't wait to go back. Rome is just as awesome. If you want to spend more nights in each city, then I would cut out Florence and do Venice and Rome. Good luck whatever you do!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:31 PM

I find this to be a common thread within these threads...folks trying to cram so much into such short periods of time. Gulping down a meal without even sitting down.

There being so much to see and do and learn and appreciate in any ONE spot, where is it written that one has to, soon after arrival, move on to some other spot? Just when you get acclimated, you've got to look at your watch and say, Gotta Go!

I say, Pick one target and focus on it; do one visit well and thoroughly. Don't dilute the experience. Quality, not quantity! Don't gulp the food; sit back and savor it!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any town or city that ends in a vowel. (Sorry, but I've been waiting to use that line since I heard it at a party!)
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Hello,
This is a reply to WillTravel. I spent part of November and December in Italy in 2003. I wore gloves in the north (Milan and Venice)but Florence, Sorrento, Naples and Rome were mostly fine. Rome varied from mid 50's to almost 70. I never put the lining in my coat until I was on the way home.
You will need an umbrella. And in Venice I was lucky in early November. I beat the high water by a couple of days. This is a problem in Venice.
As for the orginal message about what cities to visit, I really think Rome is a must. The Amalfi area is beautiful. Florence and Venice are marvelous. What a choice to have to make!
Ciao,
Joan
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Mark - if you are still thinking about it, I think Rome would make a huge impression on a 13 year old. Seeing sights like the colosseum, the forum, the Vatican, the Pantheon and the connection to Roman history (and western civilization in general) will be something that a 13 year old can get her head around. Florence and Venice are great too and you could def. see all 3 in one week. But Rome really blows you away. I have been there numerous times and it blows me away every time. Talk a walking tour with Enjoy Rome. The tours are very good. Also, Pompeii is truly amazing but might be too much to stuff into this one week.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:28 PM

To willtravel: I spent the whole month of March in Italy and the weather was around 60 degrees to 65 I was up north and around tuscany. It was rainy some days but not so that it interupted with my trip and enjoyment of it. The best thing is that there were very little tourists some small villages in Tuscanny (like Volterra) I practically had all to myself. And in Seina I accidently ended up there during Marti Grosso (Mardi Gras) and it was pretty much all italians and me! I think MArch is a great month to go. And I have been there in September/October, May and April and I think I prefered the time I went in March the best.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:09 PM

ttt
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:18 PM

With just a week, I'd concentrate on Rome, and maybe a daytrip to Pompeii...but on the otherhand, a 13-year old may be as impressed with Orvieto and a tour through the caves as she would with Pompeii. It's fascinating to learn how people survived while being attacked by armies "below" --- those caves with their pigeon houses were really something. Orvieto is a beautiful small town that when you are there, you suddenly understand why people clustered atop hill tops to protect themselves from being attacked, etc. Really different from Rome. It's also got a lot of arts and crafts going on that makes it really fun to visit. I'd do an overnight in Orvieto either before or after spending most of my time in Rome. Trying to fit too much of Italy into a week just isn't worth it. Slow down and enjoy what you can. Late Spring is simply gorgeous. Have a lovely trip.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:27 PM

I would definitely not miss Venice. A 13-year old may get tired of museums and art, even I do and I'm nearly 30. But she will love seeing the canals and the gondolas.

I spent a week in Italy and spent 3 nights in Rome, two in Florence, and 2 in Venice. It wasn't too much running around and just enough to see what I want to do when I return!