10 Days Italy - Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my husband and brother to Italy the beginning of April and need help please! We're in our late 30's - a little adventerous but not wild.

Definites: flying into Rome and out of Venice. 10 days.

I'm thinking:
Sorrento - 2 nights (1/2 day to Pompei)
Rome - 3 nights
Sienna - 1 night
Florence - 2 nights
Venice - 2 nights

Specific help needed:
Hotel recommendations around 100 euros/night or less. No place with a curfew - my brother would NEVER make it in time.
What type of room do I request? A double with an extra bed? A triple?
What is the most economical way for the 3 of us to get from one city to the next?
Train travel - I've never ridden a train, let alone in a foreign country where my vocabulary is very limited - how intimidating is it?
How about scooter rental somewhere for 1/2 day - expensive?
Guided tours of major sights - yes or no?

Anything else you can think of would be great.
Thanks!
-b

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:46 PM

Hi beckyg!
My husband and I visited Sorrento, Pompeii, Naples, Capri, and Rome on our honeymoon last summer. Though we only spent a day in Capri (can't afford to do anything there!!), it was SO WORTH IT. It is amazing.

Sorrento is beautiful. I would take the hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri for a half day or so.

Pompeii is another half day. DEFINITELY take a guided tour. We had a great tour guide and it was so much more meaningful.

We also spent 3 nights in rome. We stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria, which was great. We wanted to stay in a neighborhood and not in the middle of the tourist zone. A friend of mine who is married to a Roman man turned me on to the Hotel Santa Maria. I couldn't have been happier! Its in the Trastevere neighborhood. We did walk to the Vatican from there, but it is usually a taxi ride away. I can't recommend it enough. Its a converted convent. The rooms are small but sufficient and the bathrooms are very nice. Its a quiet sanctuary in the middle of a crazy city!

We are planning to visit Sienna, Florence, and Venice this summer...so I can't help you there! I did post about them already on here earlier today.

If you are going to Vatican City, definitely go on a guided tour. Not only do you get priority entrance, but they know so many amazing little details. We were lucky to get an American tour guide that was living in Italy, so he spoke very clear English.

Buy the Rick Steves guide to Italy or Rome. We did the entire Rick Steves guide of Rome in the 3 days we were there. It is like a bible for European travellers!

Good luck!!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM

Are you counting your travel days outside of the 10 days in Italy? If not, you've only got 8 days.
You're trying to pack a LOT into those days. You'll be spending time travelling, checking in, checking out, etc. I would slow down a little and perhaps limit it to 3-4 cities or areas in a 10 day trip.
I would use trains to get around, it's the easiest and cheapest. If you're going straight to Sorrento from Rome, it will take about 2 hours by train Rome-Naples, then 35-45 minutes by Circumvesuviana to Sorrento. The trains are easy, you don't need much Italian, not intimidating at all.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I'm arriving on the 3rd in the a.m. and flying out EARLY a.m. on the 13rth.

I was planning to go straight to Sorrento after landing.

We prefer walking over taxis if feasible.

I bought Rick Steves 2005 book but prefer word of mouth over a guide book. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM

Is that 100E per person or for a room for 3? If it's for a room, that's going to be tough. Check venere.com for hotels to get an idea what is available in your price range. You have to request a triple. The bed configuration will either be a double and single or 3 singles. You can email most hotels directly and ask what bed setups they have for triple rooms.

That is a lot of travelling for 10 nights. It can be done, but it will be a very quick pace, not leaving much time to soak in the scenery. The first day you arrive, you'll be exhausted. I'd be tempted to drop Sorrento and add a night each to Rome and Venice, or drop sienna and add a night to Rome or Venice. You can take a day trip by train to Pompeii from Rome.

I actually never used the trains in Italy (I've rented cars), but from experience of being there, most people, especially those dealing with tourists (at hotels, restaurants, train stations, etc) speak pretty good english.

If your hotels are well located, you can see a lot by foot. ROme is a bit more spread out, but there are buses. Although given your hotel budget, a well located hotel may be a tough find, particularly in Rome. Almost anywhere in Venice (as long as it's Venice proper) is a good location. Florence is fairly compact. I haven't stayed in Sienna, but I'm sure it's also very compact and walkable.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:29 PM

I agree with 2Italy. With 10 nights I would say 3-4 locations. You could take a day trip to Siena from Florence. Venice could use an extra night. That is a lot of travelling for Sorrento - if you are attached to it, I might recommend staying south on this trip and saving Venice for another time.

Of course, we all want to see it all and do it all, but prioritizing is key. It is all good! I just recommend you make sure you have time to enjoy what you are doing and not worry about what you are missing. It is a mantra I have to repeat to myself often ;-)