Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get to Italy - is Eurofly really so horrible?

Jan 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to go to Italy in June/July. She is spending a week in Dublin, then meeting me in Rome, Florence, or Bologna (I am coming from NY). We are both returning to NYC. It is quite a bit cheaper for me to take Eurofly for both legs (and for her to take Eurofly coming home) rather than Aer Lingus through Dublin, but I am worried about all the horror stories of Eurofly. Has anyone actually had a Eurofly flight get them to their destination on time (or at least on the right day)? Bad food, small seats, I don't really care about.
Jan 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Hi Tubulus,
I've flown Eurofly 3 times to and from Italy once to Bologna and twice to Rome.
Of the six crossings, 2 were delayed. The rest were on time. On one of the delayed flights I hung around at the checkin counter and asked for a seat that had an empty seat next to it (If available) and got a seat with 2! I was able to stretch out and sleep which more than made up for the rubbery stuff they try to pass off as pasta. On the other delayed flight, I ran into a friend who is a tour guide for a very well known travel company which was a fun reunion.
2 family members also had one flight going home to NY that was canceled out of Naples where they bussed the passengers to Rome to get another flight. They were OK with that because they got to see more stuff, and most other passengers felt the same, with the exception of one couple with a child who were throwing fits the whole time.

So I guess what I am saying is it's worth it to me to save the money, but I know there's a chance of a delay here and there.

The other 4 flights were on time and I was satisfied.
Jan 31st, 2008, 01:23 AM

From what source are you getting all the "horror" stories?????
Jan 31st, 2008, 02:10 AM

We flew Eurofly to Rome this past May. We had no problems flying to Rome and a four hour delay on the way back. We were waiting for passengers from Naples who actually had flown from Naples to Rome and were then merged with our flight. The problems were with communication more than anything on our return. Eurofly does not let the passengers know what is going on. They moved us from waiting areas and the screen kept changing the departure time and noone came to explain. Some people were getting upset. They did give us vouchers for food at the airport.

The food is mediocre to bad, but who cares. The seatback screens didn't offer very good viewing, but who cares. The male flight attendants were rather gruff, but who cares. The airfare was absolutely the very lowest and that is what matters to me.

Make sure you get to the airport at least 3 hours before scheduled departure. Most people were there 4 hours early. The seats are assigned when you arrive at the airport. They do not like to give out the exit row seats unless they have to. It seems as though they actually give them to people who tall, etc. We were able to get them for the flight to Rome and it made for a great flight.

That said, we will be flying back to Rome on Eurofly this March.
Jul 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM

We're flying to Italy on Eurofly in a few weeks. Their website says that "carry-on baggage is STRICTLY limited to one per person."

Does anyone know if this is in addition to a personal item (purse), as is the case with most airlines?
Jul 6th, 2008, 04:07 AM

I flew in March and carried on a small suitcase and purse. My husband carried on a small suitcase and a messenger bag. No one questioned the luggage at all. That said, it may be different now.
Jul 7th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I would call Eurofly myself to confirm their policy, but they don't offer a phone number! A little scary, but we're taking our chances and hoping for the best. Sure can't beat their prices.
Jul 7th, 2008, 07:13 AM

I am not sure why you say they don't have a number. It's on the website, and I've used it a few times:

800-459-0581
Jul 8th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Well, of course I see it now!! Thank you