US Airways

Jan 31st, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

US Airways

Hello Again to all
I am wondering if any of you have had experience with US airways out of Philadelphia? It looks like they have direct flights from there to Rome but I've never flown on this airlline.
I'm taking everyones suggestions and trying to be flexible.
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:48 AM

I've flown US Airways from Philadelphia to Rome, and the flight I took was excellent. Individual entertainment units on each seat and attentive flight attendants. I would take this flight again. A colleague who has a lot of experience flying from the US to Italy says this is the best flight there is.
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:49 AM

My relative enjoyed her flight from Philadelphia to Rome. She said that the seats were comfortable, the food was good, and the flight attendants were nice.
Jan 31st, 2004, 10:14 AM

UsAirways Airbus A330 (the aircraft they fly to Rome from PHL), has one of the greatest seat pitch of any airline.

Their A330's have a seat pitch between 33" to 34" in coach. Most other airlines, besides American, has a standard seat pitch of around 31". So the extra couple inches of legroom help out on a long flight.

For more information, go to:

http://www.seatguru.com/usairways/A330.shtml

Jan 31st, 2004, 10:22 AM
ira

Hi

It was a good flight.

We found that if you want to exchange some dollars for euros at PHL that the Thomas Cook office was the most expensive. There is an exchange office just before you get to the waiting area that will save you about 8%.
Jan 31st, 2004, 10:27 AM

I fly US Airways frequently to Paris, Rome, London and Munich. The Airbus 330s are nice with the individual entertainment systems but since reorganization this past year the food has become very spartan. You might want to take a little lunch onboard. F/As are generally very nice. One word of caution about PHL airport. Don't get a tight connection there when you fly internationally as the new concourse A for international flights is a long long walk from the other concourses and when coming inbound from an international flight you will have to clear security again. The lines are always very long for security when exiting from concourse A so you will get through much faster if you walk outside the terminal to security at the other concourses.

Larry J

Larry J

Larry J
Jan 31st, 2004, 02:32 PM

We always fly from PHL to Europe on US Airways. The airbus 330 is very nice.
But listen to Larry J. The airspace around the Philadelphia airport is always tight. So if you must get to PHL first, allow plenty of time.
Also, it is a long, walk from the international terminal. Do not choose tight connect times.
Jan 31st, 2004, 06:08 PM

Just flew Raleigh - Phildelphia - Paris and return on USAir. You had to fight with USAir to route you to PHL on an earlier flight. They wanted to route us outbound with a 55 minute connection in PHL in January. We perservered and got an earlier flight. The flight USAir wanted to put us on would not have arrived in PHL on time. That short connections are those that are programmed into the USAir computer and it is impossible to book on the internet around them; in our experience they have to be done manually over the phone. After all this; the flights were fine and as noted the food less than spartan. Take something edible with you. However watch out for the tiny seats which are truly uncomfortable.

P>S. Why does USAir always seem to put the smallest people in the bulkhead seats?
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:25 PM

The new A Concourse at PHL is very nice but as others stated, a distance. You will be pleased with the A330 but my only complaint was the IFE. (Im a rarity I know). I flew to LGW and came back from FRA, the movies were the same and after six hours on the FRA flight I wanted to shoot myself in the foot. Bring plenty of things to keep yourself occupied.
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:27 AM
Maira

I have flown USAirways out of Philly to Europe (Munich, Paris, Rome) many times. I love their Airbus 330's with individual TV sets, makes the flight so much more enjoyable. The seats are kind of tight, the flights are very popular, the food is nothing to brag about (used to be much better), more than average flight attendants per flight. All things considered, they are my first choice when looking for flights. Make sure to make seat reservations way ahead of time, if not you may very well end up in row 7 and your companion on row 32.

Feb 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful responses! You have all been so helpful. Fortunately, if I fly from Philly I don't have to take a connecting flight. So that eliminates having to run through the concourse to make another flight.
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:57 AM

Have a nice visit!
Feb 1st, 2004, 02:21 PM

Kerrie, we've flown USAir from Philly to Europe many times and suggest if you're travelling as a couple in coach, request seats A&B or G&H (see college_travellers link) since the plane is usually 2 seats, aisle, 4 seats, aisle, 2 seats. While you'll be somewhat cramped, you'll be cramped w/each other.

Also, if you live in Center City or near the suburban lines, the airport train is a breeze.

Enjoy, M
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:28 PM

I flew from rome to philly, and had a GREAT flight, the flight was only about 1/2 full, leaving me and my friend a row of 4 seats, we just put the arm rest up and were actually able to lay down to sleep. The IGE was great, you could choose between movies, tv shows and even various music (not really any music i enjoy, but my parents would have loved it) It was soo much better them our flight from philly to amsterdam, they showed a movie, but from where out seats were located we could not see it! I would bring your own headphones becasue after a while the US airways earphones became annoying
Feb 1st, 2004, 05:28 PM

Well it must only be out of Philly they are good. We took US Air from Minneapolis to Frankfurt. One way we connected through Pittsburgh and the other way through Charlotte. Without a doubt it was the worst airline we have ever flown on. The service was terribel, they had on time and mechanical problems both ways, they were over booked and delayed trying to get people to give up their seats, the food was terrible (the hot stuff was cool and the cold stuff was warm). Never again.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:24 AM

Being the main airline out of PIT, we fly USAirways all the time. It is probably no worse or any better than any other airline. What julies wrote about it could be said about any US airline at some time or another.

The Airbus 330 is a comfortable aircraft; I wish hadn't jumped on a low fare to CDG via a Continental 777, which has, reportedly, the worst pitch of those flying overseas.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:51 AM

I took this same flight twice last year, and it was great.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:27 AM

The pitch in the aircraft A-300 vs 777 is what the airlines specify. Unfortunately USAir seems to want to cram an extra row or two in and thus the pitch is less. OK if you are small. American has a bigger pitch in their coach seats. An extra inch or two makes a very big difference. In the past we lived in the Philadephia area and were at the mercy of USAir. We have moved to a city that is served by Southwest and use them domestically. [Southwest is coming to Philadelphia and those of you in the area are in for a positive change from ALL the airlines because of them.] For International travel we use American if possible. Our trip to Paris last month was on USAir (one ticket was free - frequent flyer miles left over from our PHL days) and most probably was our last trip on USAir. We have watched service, amenities etc; fall on all the airlines but in my view it has fallen faster and more on USAir.