Minivan for Driving in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling in Ireland with my husband, 3 daughters, and his mother for a total of 6 people. A minivan is, obviously, our only option. Are we going to find it extremely difficult to navigate the narrow back roads?
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:18 PM

I would say difficult if you have never driven in the British Isles, but certainly not "extremely" difficult. Roads are narrow and it will take some getting used to. But w/i a few days you will feel a lot more comfortable.

For 6, I usually recommend getting 2 small cars - but since that really doesn't make much sense for you guys, go ahead and rent a people mover (minivan-type vehicle)
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:00 PM

a lot will depend on what month...in quiet months it is much easier---far less traffic

you just need to go slow in some areas and be very careful---although the locals whiz along and scare you to death on narrow roads....just stay as far right as possible and try not to drive at commuting hours....also don't drive after dark anymore than necessary...

you will do fine...
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:41 AM

MWM,

Don't give it another thought. Given your party is a half dozen, a minivan makes sense. Ireland's rural roads are indeed narrow, yet these roads have improved dramatically in recent years, and it is not at all uncommon to see larger vehicles driving Eire's byways.

A few years ago, my wife and I rented a Renault minivan (we got it at Belfast Airport for a great rate) and toured much of the island for 17 days, logging about 1,300 miles, and had little or no trouble with the size of our vehicle. Indeed, as a long-legged driver, I appreciated the roominess of our wheels. It was a nice alternative to our usual subcompact, the dreaded Nissan Micra.

Rather than being concerned about the size of your vehicle, try to make a point of minimizing your night driving while in rural areas. The narrow and often twisting roads, combined with limited lighting (no street lights), can make for a potentially dangerous drive.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:44 PM

DavidD,
How many pieces of luggage can the minvan hold? We have 6 going to Ireland at the end of March are thinking about a van, but we are worried it will not hold the luggage.
Thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 09:27 PM

HannahHall: If you mean 6 adults a minivan will be a tight fit. It would usually be cheaper and more comfortable to rent two small cars. But if you mean 2 or 3 adults + small children, then a minivan would work OK.

remember - in a minivan when all the seats are full of people there isn't very much room left for luggage.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:28 AM

Thanks! We will rent 2 cars!