Search

US Airway????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 05:37 PM
BTD

US Airway????

Hi <BR>Has anyone flown USAirway from US to Rome?<BR>I got a good quote (for $1502 for 2 RT tix)<BR>with one stopover in Philadelphia.<BR><BR>That's the lowest I can find,...unless someone knows of something lower???<BR><BR>Departing from San Francisco???<BR><BR>Thanks for any help.<BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Sherry

Flew US Airways from Pittsburgh to Rome with a stop in Philadelphia in May.<BR>Each coach class seat his its own entertainment screen. You can play movies and programs with your own remote. It is great for people who cannot sleep.<BR>I am not crazy about the Philadelphia airport. Sometimes the air traffic in that area can get congested. Try to allow a little extra time between the arrival in PHL and the departure for Rome. I believe this plane leaves about 6:00 p.m.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Betsy

I took this flight two years ago. It was OK. I got there and back in one piece on time with luggage. Seating configuration was 2-3-2 on the Phila to Rome segment, so see if you can get a seat along the side. Every seat was full both over and back (this was in April). Coming thru immigration in Phila on the return was a nightmare. Loooong lines and a dash for the Phila to SF segment. Not sure how much of this is relevant two years later. <BR><BR>Interesting that I sat next to a Catholic sister each way, and I'm not even Catholic. Took it as some sort of sign!<BR><BR>Your quote seems high--does it include all the extras such as taxes? You may be able to get the same flight on the US Air website, or with Orbitz, Hotwire or Priceline for less. When are you going?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Lynnette

I personally haven't flown on US Air to Rome-we went on BA. However, by coincidence, my aunt did fly US Air and from San Francisco no less. This was last June however. She said that the flight from SFO to Pittsburgh was not that great. HOWEVER, she thoroughly enjoyed the flight from Pittsburgh to Rome. She reported to us that there was seatback entertainment, a sort of footrest, legroom, edible food, and nice wine. <BR><BR>In contrast, her daughter and son-in-law flew from NJ to meet her in Rome, but they flew on Air France. They reported that they thoroughly hated their flight. It was on one of the older planes, therefore, there was no seatback entertainment and the food was horrid. The only entertainment to be had was the movie, but the flight attendants had trouble with the projector so the movie was cancelled. Therefore, the only so-called entertainment was to view the flight map that's projected onto the screen. <BR><BR>So there you have it. US Airways from SFO to Rome was a pretty good experience from at least one person. You got a good deal on your air tickets also!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Sue

USAirways is practically the "only show it town" for us here in Pgh., and just as with all airlines, it has its good days and its not-so-good, but probably more good ones than a lot of the others out there. The airbus flight from PHL-FCO, FRA, CDG is esp. nice with each seat having its own screen, etc. <BR>We had tickets for PIT-FCO last year, and b/c of a storm in Phil, we were going to miss our connection to Rome. They very nicely handled getting us on a non-stop to FRA, and then onto Rome on Alitalia; couldn't have asked for a smoother "Plan B"!<BR><BR>And that fare, considering what fares are these days, doesn't sound bad to me, unless you're going in Feb.<BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Sue

typo: "only show IN town"

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Beverly

Yes, I agree. Your fare of $1,502 for two RT tickets is good if you're going in high season. High season is through October. But if you're going in low season you may get it lower. However, the way things are nowadays with the airlines not offering good bargains as before, this may be the best.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:21 AM
xxx

just returned from italy a few days<BR>ago. we flew usair from pit to phila<BR>and on to rome. the flight was fine.<BR>the lowest price i was able to find was<BR>$800 per ticket (tax included in this<BR>price). this was for travel in july.<BR>last year we traveled in may and purchased our tickets on alitalia for<BR>$450 each (tax inc.). upon returning<BR>to phil from rome the lines were extremely long. the cost of your flight<BR>will depend on when you are traveling.<BR>even with the long lines upon return,<BR>i would much rather transfer in phila.<BR>than in ny.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:16 AM
BTD

Hi<BR>I'm getting worried now about the return layover in Philadelphia.<BR>I have 1.5 hours layover.<BR>Is that enough time to transfer to my next flight?<BR><BR>I am a bit confused (haven't traveled internationally in a LONG time)....when you connect to another flight, does the airline take care of transferring your baggage? or do you have to go to baggage, pick it up and transfer it to your next flight?<BR><BR>Thanks againe everyone.<BR><BR>Oh forgott o mention, the tixs are for last week of september, returning after 2 week stay in October.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:55 AM
doug

-The new airbus planes USAirways is using are great. Philly is a pain.<BR>-Hour and a half is pretty tight, I'd check to be sure there is a back-up plan, a later flight or a later connection through PIT. Bottom line is that it's not that tough to get Philly to SFO in the late afternoon/early evening.<BR>-You will have to claim your luggage in PHL and go through customs. Then you can recheck right outside of customs. This will also make your 1.5 hr connection a bit tense.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Christina

I think the rule is that you have to get baggage and go through customs only if your final destination is not an international airport. I know I've had to go through customs (and move my own baggage) at the first international airport I got to coming from Mexico and the Caribbean, but on both those flights, I believe my final destination was Washington National which is not an international airport. I can't think of the last time I've flown from Europe with a layover, so maybe I'm wrong -- I know in Europe you don't have to do that, as my bags have been checked through when I went through Paris to other cities in France or other countries if my final airport was an international one. <BR><BR>Is the US different than Europe in this regard?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Nope

Christina,<BR><BR>The rule is that you go through customs, gather your bags and all, at your first entry into the United States. I recently flew from Paris to DFW through Chicago. We had to go through customs, declare all our purcahses, and have our bags inspected in Chicago. Then we placed our checked luggage back on the conveyor belt and board our flight for DFW (which by the way is an intenrational airport).

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Dori

I'm going to Rome in September via US Air through Philadelphia. Your price is what I paid. Actualy $780/one person. It was the cheapest I could get for that time, and I looked quite a bit.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:50 AM
kayd

BTD -- go for it. I've been watching prices to Rome and haven't seen anythng much below $700/person rt from the east coast, so I'd say you have a good price for travel from California (unless you are booking for travel in Jan-Feb). I've taken that PHL-FCO flight and it was fine both ways, and have used USAir for Paris and Amsterdam from Philly without problems.