Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Dover to Cornwall, England

Nov 26th, 2001, 04:44 AM
marge

We will be on a cruise and should be able to get off the ship between 8am - 10am Sept 10th I need advive on how to get to a timeshare in Cornwall called the Clowance, sounds and looks great.

Could Ben H. or someone else help me with train times and prices? My husband (age 70) doesn't want to drive. I checked one bus website, gobycoach.com and it was 11 1/2 hrs. So that's not good.

We then will need to get from Cornwall to London before leaving from Gatwick at 11a.m.

There is another timeshare in Devon and one up in Leicestershire. Would the Leicestershire be easier to get to than Cornwall or Devon?

Nov 26th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Paul

Marge
The one in Leicestershire will definitely be easier and quicker. Travelling by train will be the fastest route but whether going to Leicestershire or Devon/Cornwall you have to go through London which will involve a subway ride between stations in London - Not ideal if you have lots of luggage - although you could take a taxi.
Generally speaking the journey from Dover to Devon/Cornwall will take 7h by train. The journey to Leicestershire will take 3-4 depending where you go.
www.railtrack.co.uk will give you the times of trains.
As for getting to Gatwick you will have an early start wherever you are coming from - and if you are leaving from Gatwick at 11 rather than checking in at 11 I don't think you could do this from Devon or Cornwall.

Dec 28th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Tina

Hi we have just come back from spending Christmas week in Clowance so if you would like some up to date info please let me know
Tina

Dec 29th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Susan

Tina, I'm not the original poster, but I was looking at timeshares in Cornwall, so I'd love details about Clowance and the surrounding area. What was it like? Would you stay there again? Did you drive? Thanks for any info.

Dec 29th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Ira

Hi Marge,
You do have to change from London Waterloo-East to London Paddington to get to Cornwall by train.
It seems that the easiest travel is Dover to Leicestershire.
Try http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de for train schedules.
If you are leaving Gatwick at 11:00, I suggest that you spend the night before in Horley. There are a number of B&B's that will take you to Gatwick in about ten minutes.

Dec 29th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Nigel Doran

www.thetrailine.com is the place for fares and tickets. However, I am not sure that they will send you tickets if you are abroad.

I am, however, a bit confused about how much time you have off the boat? You say you have only 2 hours? Please explain.

Leicestershire will be easier, but both will involve over 5-6 hours of train travel, with train swaps and Tube connections. Not a great idea, really, if you are on holiday!

Why not stick around the Kent area? You can search all sorts of engines for hotels and cottages/flats. I would definitely recommend that over all that travelling by train.

Dec 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
look before

Everyone - look at the original post. Marge took this trip last summer (she ended up going to Elmers Court in Hampshire.)

Anyway, Tina, you topped a thread from Nov of 2001! Why? Not much help to Marge or anyone else now.