Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on best way to get from London to Paris?

Dec 28th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Quinty

My husband and I are flying from Paris back to the US departing from CDG at 2:20 p.m.
That same day we will be starting off from London. So we want to fly from London to Paris (then Paris to home) all in the same day. Easyjet seems to have the cheapest fares ($60 for both), but flying out of Luton. Is this airport more hassle than it's worth? The alternative is flying out of Heathrow on BMI for $200.
We also considered flying to Paris the night before our flight back to the states and staying in an airport hotel for convenience. Any thoughts?

Dec 28th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Andre

Quinty,

Luton is a bit more difficult to reach than Heathrow, but is quite doable by taking a cab to Kings Cross or London Bridge stations, then Thameslink Train & (short) shuttle bus. The airport itself is nice and small - much easier to navigate than Heathrow.
www.thameslink.co.uk

Will you have a lot of luggage? That is the determining factor IMO. Most probably BMI will be able to check your luggage through to your final destination in the US, whereas EasyJet will definitely not. Call BMI to find this out.

Also, BMI lands at CDG terminal 1, whereas EasyJet uses the out-of-the-way terminal T9. If you're flying onwards on United or US Airways, BMI would be much more convenient, as these airlines also use terminal 1. Delta, Continental & Air France use Terminals 2A & 2C, so you need to take a shuttle bus either way.

In any event, schedule AT LEAST 2.5 hours layover, unless you're connecting to United from BMI - 2 hours would be plenty in that case (since they're both Star Alliance carriers, BMI should be able to give you boarding passes for your United flights as well).

In nutshell, I'd say BMI if you were flying onwards on United or US Airways and/or checking your luggage through were a major advantage, otherwise EasyJet.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Dec 28th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Patrick

Last year we flew Easy Jet out of Luton. We called and reserved Swiss Cottage Cars to pick us up in central London and take us -- at a quoted price of 35 pounds. Although further than Heathrow, it actually seemed quicker due to less traffic congestion.
Flying out of Luton was a breeze -- I'd do it again.
Swiss Cottage Cars doesn't have a website, but you can call them direct just a couple days ahead 207-431-2700.

Dec 28th, 2002, 05:10 PM
fran

Quinty,
If going to Paris the day/night before is an option, I'd go for it. Considering you'd need to be checked in at CDG by 12ish, you will have a very busy morning trying to fly that morning.

Get to Paris the day/night before and stay wherever you want. Easy enough to cab it to CDG on flight day. Too many uncontrolled variables in the fly-that-morning plan for my taste!

Dec 29th, 2002, 12:05 PM
anon

Getting to Luton is not that much more problematic than getting to Heathrow. That said, I'd agree that it might be best to get to Paris the day before you fly home to avoid any potential problems on flight day. And you get a night in Paris! You might look into the train if you go with this plan, probably about the same amount of time as getting to and from airports and lots less stressful.