Reload this Page >

Oxon, near London? Wales Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:51 PM
RnR

Anyone know anything about the Oxon area, and best way to get there?<BR><BR>Also, does it make sense to change at Gatwick and fly straight to Wales - as opposed to staying over in London - and if so, into which city?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:30 PM
Ruth

I'm not sure what you are asking, but Oxon is short for Oxfordshire. Oxford can be reached in about an hour from London by road (M40) or train from Paddington or bus from Victoria, Gatwick or Heathrow (this is the cheapest but slowest). <BR><BR>There is a lot of information about Oxfordshire on the web - www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk is a good place to start.<BR><BR>I can't help with flights to Wales.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Virginia

You didn't say what part of Wales you're heading to. Cardiff and South Wales are about two hours out of Paddington Station by train; North Wales is a little more than that out of Euston. I have no idea what kind of flight service is available into Cardiff International from London's airports and I'm unfamiliar with other airports in Wales.<BR><BR>Any chance you could fly into Heathrow rather than Gatwick? Then, if South Wales is your destination, you could take the Heathrow Express into Paddington and hop a train to Wales.<BR><BR>Good luck planning your journey.<BR>V.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:18 AM
RnR

Sorry, let me give you more of an address: my friends live in North Newington, Banbury, Oxon.<BR><BR>As far as Wales is concerned, my SO wants to see it for 4-5 days, so beyond that I can't say. I'm stuck with Gatwick - the airline doesn't go into Heathrow. My concern is not eating up lots of time getting from London to Wales - looking for the fastest way to get off the plane and head straight to Wales. But which area is an open question.<BR><BR>Thanks for you help.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:14 AM
marc

If you are travelling to South Wales (Cardiff for example) the journey times by train are fine (3 to 3 and a half hours)and services frequent. You take the train from Gatwick Airport and change either at Reading or in London (in London you'll need to take the underground system to another train station to connect). Reading might be less complicated but journey times about the same. (journey planner - http://www.rail.co.uk/ukrail/planner/planner.htm ) <BR>(just a thought)If you are going to North Wales, then you might consider flying to Manchester from Gatwick&gt;?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Ruth

You can find North Newington using www.streetmap.co.uk - either search for the village name, or if you have it, enter your friends' postcode, which will probably give you an arrow pointing directly at their house! It is a couple of miles outside Banbury, which is a pleasant small town about 30 miles N of Oxford (site of the original "Banbury Cross"). It's on the east side of the Cotswolds - a great base for exploring from, and about 30 min from Oxford by train and in easy reach of e.g. Stratford and Warwick. <BR><BR>Have a look at railtrack.co.uk for trains from London (or Gatwick) to Banbury, or by car it is easy - just off the M40 at jn11. <BR><BR>For Wales - what aspects do you want to see (castles, coastline, specific towns or cities?), and what time of year are you going? I love the Gower peninsula, but it could be a bit bleak in the winter. I would say that to really explore Wales, you would need to rent a car.<BR><BR>Depending on your itinerary, you may not need to go back to London between Wales and Banbury - the train connections via Birmingham may be more convenient.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:22 AM
RnR

I love Fodors! Your information is terrifically helpful - exactly what I needed! I asked my SO to narrow down the area of Wales where her family hales from - and she gave me this quizzical look, and then reminded me they're all dust now! So, I've decided to do the best parts, and simply assume we're near one of her family places. I'm using your suggestions for travel! Many thanks again. I'll do more on this after I get back from the predators and Rovers! UK will be a civilized haven.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Frances

I recently queried a connection from Gatwick to Cardiff and was told it routes via Paris!There is no other!<BR>However there is a rail-air link from Gatwick by bus to Reading where you pick up a high speed train to South Wales.<BR>To North Wales if you don't want to shuttle to Manchester, then take the Gatwick Express to Victoria, cross London by tube to Euston and then get a train to North Wales via Chester.