Which airport in London???

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which airport in London???

Hello all.

Which airport is the closest to the center of London? Any have a preferred airport (other than Heathrow)?

I'd love to know, as I'm mapping out potential flights to London and haven't the slightest idea which airport would be the most pleasant and cost effective to land in...

Thanks!

ps: You all have been so helpful!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Try Gatwick for a smaller version of Heathrow. From there it's easy to take the Gatwick Express train (30 min), non-stop still I think, and you arrive at in the centre of town. A real expert is "Ham" at http://www.londondailyphoto.blogspot.com
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Heathrow (LHR) is to the west of London, but is definitely the closest to the city centre. There is a direct tube (underground) link. Luton is to the north west, Stansted to the north east and Gatwick to the south. There is a further City Airport in Docklands (to the east but very near the City)but this is much smaller. Gatwick isn't much further from the centre than LHR and there are train connections, although no tube. This link may be useful http://uk.visitlondon.com/travel/airports/
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Gatwick and Heathrow are basically 6 of one/half dozen of the other. LHR is closer to the center of London, and you have the choice of a fast train, the tube, or car service (or taxi if you have money to burn). LGW is farther out - but has a great express train.

So just fly into whichever one gets you the best fare.

The other airports are Stansted (farther out), Luton much farther out) and London City (practically in the middle of town) - but if you are flying transatlantic, LHR and LGW are your main choices.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:13 PM

The question is irrelevant. Just put "LON" as your destination to whatever site you're looking at and the machine will give you prices. Fares are so chaotic, it's perfectly possible you'll find lower prices to Heathrow than to Luton.

"which airport is most pleasant" is a bit like asking which anaesthetic-free tooth extraction is most pleasurable. The only one that's anything approaching painless is London City, but it has flights only to European destination.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Definitely London City; small, easy and fast to fly from.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM

There's not much to choose between them so go for best price. It's worth bearing in mind that Luton and Stansted are actually a lot further out from London, in fact, it's a cheek to label them London airports!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM

You will find more budget flights flying out of Gatwick. Heathrow is closer to downtown. I always connect in London but never leave the airport. If the connecting flight is out of Gatwick, then I will fly from Orlando to Gatwick and if the connecting flight is out of Heathrow, I fly from Miami to Heathrow. I would avoid switching airports as they are opposite sides of the city.