Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the pros and cons of Heathrow vs Gatwick for a London trip?
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Gatwick is further out, but I prefer it as it always seems fractionally less busy to me - especially if your arrival/departure is scheduled from Terminal 1 at Heathrow, which is how I imagine the waiting room for hell to be. If you have seen the VIPs it looks all mid century chic, cocktails and Curtis Jere. Those days are long gone.

In the interests of balance (almost!) whilst both airports have rail services into London, Heathrow has the advantage of being on the tube as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 12:00 PM

I haven't flown into Heathrow since 2000, but I remember it being a maze. I used the Tube to get to/from the city center. In 2005 I flew into/out of Gatwick. It is a lot further out from the center of London; you have to take a commuter train instead of the Tube. If you're catching a taxi into town, I'd guess a taxi from Heathrow would be considerably cheaper.

One rarely has a choice - same airline, same price, same connection, same departure times, etc. - with the London airport being the only difference. I'd decide on a flight to London based on those other factors - usually there's a shorter flight or a better connection or a better departure time that makes my choice. Either LHR or LGW would work fine.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 12:49 PM

It may also depend to some extent on where in London you need to end up. Heathrow is out to the west on a tube line that runs through the centre to the north and east, but with lots of stops. Gatwick is out to the south, but with direct and faster rail connections to both west, east and north of the centre.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 12:58 PM

Train tickets from Gatwick to anywhere in London and back should qualify for 2 for 1 offers as most paying sights - the Heathrow Express or Connect apparently do not qualify.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

I too find Gatwick much easier to navigate and though hectic not nearly so as Heathrow.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 01:28 PM

I wouldn't stress on which airport to fly to. Much more important is cost & times of flights
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Makes absolutely no difference. There are pros and cons to each. Go with the one that gets you the best fare and/or schedule.

After that we can help you w/ transport options.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 03:41 PM

I travel several times a year to London. I prefer Gatwick but find Heathrow easier to get to. Heathrow is on the Piccadilly tube line which goes into Central London. Gatwick has the Gatwick Express train service but that only goes from Victoria Station so you'd have to get there first. Heathrow also has the Express train to Paddington. We just find that if we're close to the Piccadilly line, Heathrow tends to be easier.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 03:47 PM

Travelliingdad: LGW has several other trains, and to other parts of London, than just the gatwick express.

London bridge, kings cross/st Pancras, etc?
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 06:49 PM

My experience Gatwick, for the reasons already stated, and that the train station is right under the terminal. It's possible to take a train from Gatwick to about 8 stations in central London, but Heathrow just 2.

I doubt that Gatwick is "farther out" in a significant way, it's just past the M25 and Heathrow is just inside.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:13 PM

>>I doubt that Gatwick is "farther out" in a significant way, <<

I agree, in that the key thing isn't map distance so much as travelling time. Trains from Gatwick get you to various parts of central London in 30 minutes or so; the tube from Heathrow may feel like it takes longer, depending on your final destination, but then, so might the Heathrow Express or any of the Gatwick trains - to get the full picture, you have to work out the whole journey to your final destination.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Tom_mm. >>I doubtt that Gatwick is "farther out" in a significant way, it's just past the M25 and Heathrow is just inside.<<

Incorrect - LGW is about 30 miles south of central London, LHR about 18 miles west.

but do NOT choose either airport based on distance.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Gatwick is just as busy as Heathrow, whether it is for checking in, or arriving, the lines for immigration can be as equally bad. The new terminals at Heathrow (T2&T5) are really nice, some parts of T5 are not crowded at all (B gates). Assuming you are taking he train into London, you might want to check the prices of the tickets, and this could be where being "farther out" could make a difference. If you are driving or taking a car service/taxi, being on the M25 is not fun during rush hour.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'd be taking a taxi from the airport if that matters.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Don't take a taxi, book a car service instead. It'll be much cheaper. But if you arrive during the morning rush hour, a taxi or a car service from either LHR or LGW to central London will take a very long time.
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 06:07 AM

No, you shouldn't take a taxi from EITHER airport.

The tube in from LHR or a train from LGW are by far the cheapest ways into the city. And the train from gatwick is not only cheaper, it is MUCH faster.

If you have a 'cab budget' then a pre-booked car service from heathrow is better than a taxi - same drive time for quite a bit less money.

But from gatwick, a taxi would take for ever and cost a king's ransom.
Old Jan 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM

We used to fly into LGW when US Air flew there from Philadelphia. Now it only flies to LHR. I prefer Gatwick for these very personal reasons:

1. We always stay near Victoria Station, and getting there from LGW (even taking the Southern Railway trains rather than the Gatwick Express) is likely faster than getting there from LHR by tube or train/tube. If staying near Paddington, or in the western part of the city, LHR is obviously faster.

2. As PalenQ said, the 2-for-1 coupons are valid the entire stay in London when you have a round trip ticket from LGW to the city.

Your situation may be different, and--as also said earlier--your airline may not give you a choice.

SS
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After having done so from Edinburgh last year, I actually prefer London City and wish I could fly there again.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 06:27 AM

I prefer Gatwick. Take the train into London. Fast and inexpensive.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Otherwise, Heathrow. Take the Tube INTO London; fast enough and faster during morning rush hour when we usually arrive and inexpensive. Wonderful to get to your London hotel to be told the most wonderful words in the English language, "Your room is ready!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -