How Reliable AF @ CDG for checked-in luggage for overnight layover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, travelling from Istanbul to Boston with Air France, with 22 hour layover at Paris-CDG. Obviously, I am arranging a hotel and and some excursion to the city. I was wondering if I should completely trust AF and check-in my luggage from Istanbul to Boston, and survive one night in paris with my back-pack? Or should I check-in only up to Paris, claim luggage and check-in next day again for Boston. I will drive away from Boston right after I land, so cannot afford any problems. What fellow travellers would think? Any positive or negative experiences with AF/CDG ?
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 06:19 AM

With a 22-hr layover, the risk of something bad (theft or misplacement) happening is higher than I'd want. Fortunately, there's a simple solution.

CDG has a baggage storage facility ("consigne") where you can leave baggage for a fee. It's on Niveau (Level) 4, very close to the SNCF rail station and across from the Sheraton.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 06:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>CDG has a baggage storage facility ("consigne") where you can leave baggage for a fee. It's on Niveau (Level) 4, very close to the SNCF rail station and across from the Sheraton.<<

That is what I'd do - have never done it a CDG but have at LHR and other airports. It would be much more secure to collect your bags and use the left luggage facility Don Topaz mentions.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 08:20 AM

In 2012 our AF flight from Napoli to Dulles was delayed out of Capodichino. Our flight was supposed to connect in Paris at DeGalle. We were late and were subsequently re-booked for the next mourning flight. We were given the option to get our bags or let them hold them. We opted for the later as we always carry a minimum one day change of clothes in our carry on bags. AF held our bags for a little over 15 hours and they showed up at Dulles when we arrived.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 09:20 AM

On one flight from Nice to Sacramento we had a layover for the night at Heathrow. We checked all our luggage through except for one carry-on bag, and two suitcases were lost.
They finally turned up, but one was badly damaged; looked as though a wheel had run over it. So I wouldn't check the luggage through.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 09:21 AM

I'd let them handle it, also. What's the worst that can happen? Probably that your bag doesn't get on your flight correctly? You're going home, anyway, it won't ruin your vacation. Bags now have bar coded tags on them, they don't lose them as much.

I guess it's your tolerance for risk, as well as the nuisance/time to get it, check it, then have to check it again on your new flight.

I've never done that, actually, but have had AF transfer bags a lot on various flights, and twice they were not transferred correctly (due to not getting on the plane, short connection), but in both cases, they brought the bag to my hotel within one day. And once the hotel was about 30 miles away in Aix-en-Provence when I had flown into Marseille--they had the bag there within 4 hours. The other time was in Prague, it was there within about 12 hrs. So all in all, I can't complain about them.