14 Hour Layover CDG with Luggage

Jan 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

14 Hour Layover CDG with Luggage

Next month we (active 75 male and female) will have an approx 14 hour layover at CDG. We are scheduled to arrive from JFK at 8:15 AM (Delta), and our flight to Johannesburg does not leave until 11:15 PM. We will have a fair amount of luggage. Any suggestions on what to do, where to go, and what to do with our luggage? We have been to Paris, which obviously is an option, but was wondering if there are some options one can recommend. Thanks in advance.
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM

There is no official luggage storage in CDG.
For storage durations above 6 hours, baggage storage can be provided by
"Bagages du Monde", with service desks in CDG 1, CDG 2A (landside), and CDG 2F (landside}. Don't know the cost. You have loads of time to take the RER into Paris , have lunch sigtsee and then have a nice dinner.
Jan 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Is it not possible that your luggage will be checked through? Or that you can just check it in that early maybe? If you are on a single ticket through to Jo'berg your luggage should be checked through. If you are on separate tickets for both legs ask the airline you are flying to Jo'berg with whether it is possible to check the bags in early.
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Call Delta and ask them if they have a baggage transfer agreement with the CDG-Johannesburg airline. If they do you should be able to check your baggage all the way through from JFK even if the trip is on separate tickets.
Jan 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM

How about visiting a Chateau (like Chantilly) in the area?? Rent a car, or take a taxi there.

Stu Dudley
Jan 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM

If you can handle your luggage and take the RER, there are lockers at Gare du Nord. But you make sound as though Bagages du Monde would be your only option, and I have heard that they are very pricy.

Another option might be to book a room at the Formule 1 at CDG (something like 32&euro, take the Accor shuttle and just leave your baggage in the room. But I sort of think that you would lose a lot of time taking the shuttles -- so if you are exhausted, you could just stay in the room and get some sleep.
Jan 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM

I would double-check and see if your baggage won't be checked through. Assuming you are on a non-stop from JFK with a Delta flight number, then you will actually be on an Air France plane for that leg, and I am 99% certain that you are taking the Air France flight at 11:15 to JNB.

Since this will be all on one carrier, I would think you have a very good chance that you will not see your luggage at CDG, but you should confirm this with the airline.

The only thing left would be to make sure your carry-on is manageable. At least manageable enough to let you store it in the lockers at the train station.
Jan 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM

It is to be hoped that the baggage will be checked through.