Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far is Scratchwood from central London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a good rate for this days Inn in London
http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/contr...p;brandInfo=DI

does anyone know how far it is from central london and if there's a tube or train station nearby?
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM

What was the rate? I am curious as to why you'd travel to London and stay in a place like this.
It's far from central London and you would spend considerable time and money getting into the city (check the map on the link you provided). Plus it looks like it's right on a busy motorway.
What is your hotel budget? Posters can give lots of recommendations for hotels that are within central London for a wide price range.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

40 pounds per night, tax included.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM

You'd be mad to stay there even if they paid you 40GBP for your custom.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM

The hotel is more or less part of the service area a few miles north of the beginning of the main northbound motorway. It's about 10 miles north of Trafalgar Square, but distance means nothing in London: it's time that matters.

It's fantastically convenient for someone wanting to be able to get up, get into their car and start a journey.

For anyone wanting to be in the centre, it's worth knowing that no-one has ever been known to use public transport in the area. I think you need a 600 yard walk to Mill Hill Broadway station on the Thameslink overground train to St Pancras (15-20 mins train journey, and you're then at Kings Cross tube). It's in the kind of featureless London suburb where probably many of the other regular contributors to this board grew up, but like to pretend ignorance of, so I'd doubt you'll get a straight answer to your question.

To check public transport for yourself, input the hotel's postcode (NW7 3HB) into the Journey Planer at www.tfl.gov.uk
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Nooooooooooooooo, don't do it, it's a hotel on the motorway, characterless doesn't even begin to describe the area. There are a number of these bland hotels dotted along the main arterial roads heading out of town, and I've often wondered who on earth would stay on one.

Get bidding on Priceline this minute, and dismiss Scratchwood from your mind.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:24 AM

What Kate and Flanner said.

They have even renamed Scratchwood Services (motorway service station) recently to London Gateway to try and make it sound better because it's so grim.

Useful if you need a hotel ON the M1 motorway. ABSOLUTELY the worst possible location if you need a hotel for tourist activities in London.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Agree w/ everyone above. if you just needed a place to sleep for one night before setting out on a car trip to the north it MIGHT make sense to stay there.

Otherwise, absolutely no way!

Think of an interstate highway rest area with the attached Travel Lodge or Super 8 - that is a good comparison to London Gateway/Scratchwood
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I'm guessing that you've realised it's a bad thing to do then??! Personally I've never heard of it but I'll go with what the others have said!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

thanx flanneruk