Staying in Enfield...

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in Enfield...

Hi,
I am going to be staying in Enfield (guess it's in Nothern London). Is there any of the main tour attraction...like westminster abbey and stuff, near there. Is there anything that is cool near there? Just asking since it is my first time to London. Thanks
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM

It is a loooooong way from Westminster Abbey. Enfield is in far northern London - it is just inside the M25 motorway and is closer to places like Hatfield House and St Albans than it is to any central London sites. I think you'd pretty much have to take the train into London for sightseeing.

One thing not too far from there is Waltham Abbey.

But if this is primarily a London sightseeing trip - you will be a long distance from anywhere . . . . . .

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping to make this a pretty sight seeing intensive vacation. I am assuming that it would be logical then to use the Tube to get to central London?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Actually not very logical. The tube doesn't go to Enfield. You'll probably have to take the train into London. You could take buses but it would be very slow going.

You can check the Transport for London website for help - it has a journey planner at http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user

Curious why you chose Enfield for a "sight seeing intensive vacation"?

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Not a choice. I am going to see my little sis and thats where she lives. So its kinda link a free place to stay helps on the budget. So I guess the train it is. Thanks for the site by the way.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Meant to say 'So its kinda like a free place to stay that will help the budget.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Janis it looks like bus is my only option ha ha.So are the buses dirty or just slow? Maybe I should suck up the money issue and get a hotel LOL
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:40 PM

OK - a free room makes lots of sense (well some sense anyway). What is wrong with taking the train?

Enfield is in zone 5 (I think its in zone 4 for the buses). So on the days you go into central London get a zones 1-5 travel card. You can take the train into town, then the buses and tube all day long in London and then take the train back to Enfield. This would cost you £9.20 if you use the train, and £8.20 if you take the bus in instead of the train. I'd definitely pay the extra £1 to use the trains.

And £9.20 is a LOT less than you'd pay for a room closer to the center of things . . . . . .
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:25 AM

On Mondays to Saturdays trains leave Enfield Town station at 0904, 0934 and each half hour and take 34 minutes to London Liverpool Street. There are extra trains before nine, but you can use your normal London travel card from Monday to Friday only after 0930 (there is another that costs more but is valid any time). On Saturday and Sunday you can use the card any time of day, and morning trains run half-hourly. To come back you leave Liverpool Street at 25 and 55 minutes past each hour. I read this in http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en/.

Liverpool Street is at the north eastern corner of the central area, and you have a ten minute bus ride to the Tower, St Paul s, the Museum of London, many seventeenth century city churches, twelfth century St Bartholomew the Great, and the Bank of England museum. Any tube booking office will give you the free bus map for Central London. Your London Travel Card covers busses as well as suburban trains and tube trains. You can buy a daily version for about four pounds and a weekly version for about 18 pounds. On Sunday mornings you walk in ten minutes to the markets of Petticoat Lane and Brick Lane, and any day Brick Lane has a wealth of Bengali restaurants. For the West End, Whitehall, Westminster, Victoria (for Buckingham Palace) and the museums of South Kensington you take the Circle Line underground for 15 to 30 minutes.

I am afraid I can think of no tourist attractions in Enfield, but north of there, reached by bus to Seven Sisters or Enfield Chase then local train north, are George Bernard Shaw s house, the grand country house called Knebworth House, and old market towns with medieval churches, namely Ware, Hitchin and Baldock. Most people in your situation would go daily to central London, but it is worth thinking of seeing a house or market town. You might ask your hosts to be your guests at dinner in an old pub or restaurant in one of the towns.

[email protected]