Blackout in London!

Aug 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Blackout in London!

Go to http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,95932,00.html

I don't think this is a coincidence anymore.

Any other thoughts?
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I sure hope you're wrong. I would think the hottest summer ever might have something to do with it.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:06 AM

So far they are saying it is due to an overtaxed system, with the heatwave they have had.
It is not all over London, but it is in Kent also.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:06 AM

BBC's coverage:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3189755.stm
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I don't for a moment think this is terrorism. It makes sense that the power grid is overloaded by one of the hottest summers on record. I really feel for the people stuck in the tube; that would freak me out.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Not only freak me out, imagine how hot it must be with the already high temperatures plus all those bodies crammed into such small ENCLOSED spaces! I definitely feel for everyone in London (and Kent!) right now!
Aug 28th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Why the overload NOW? I checked the London temperatures for today and it was in the low 60s (as a high!).

Why a power overload now that the heat wave is subsiding?

Why did the same company operating the Niagra Grid (New York) have the same failure on their London grid?

QUOTE: British energy regulator Ofgem said the fault lay with National Grid Transco, which runs Britain's power lines.

"There was a fault on a transformer system. There was loss of power for 34 minutes, but London Electricity has re-energized the system and it's back on," Reuters quoted an Ofgem spokesman as saying.

National Grid said the outage was "not even vaguely on the scale of what happened in the U.S."

National Grid's U.S. business Niagara Mohawk was among those hardest hit by the blackouts that struck the east coast of North America earlier this month.

END QUOTE

Inquiring minds want to know! While I do not believe in the grassy knoll or X-Files, I do stand in somewhat amazement that this is strictly "coincidence."

Cheers,

Ron
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Oh, goody. Let's have a new conspiracy theory!
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Howard R !! too funny...my power goes out for at least 30 minutes to 5 or 6 hours about 3 times a week!

I better check the bushes for terrorists!!
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:02 PM

"Oh, goody. Let's have a new conspiracy theory!"

I think it is finally time for this board to concentrate on Current events. Watts up with these blackouts? I'm in the dark.

Aug 28th, 2003, 03:09 PM
KT

I confess. While I was visiting my parents on the east coast this week, a construction crane fell onto a power line in the town next to theirs, causing widespread power loss. The very same night, in the town next to mine back here on the west coast, a runaway truck knocked down some utility poles, causing widespread power loss. I'm afraid that I'm the obvious link between these two incidents. Clearly, this is not coincidence.
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:24 PM

KT, thank you for the confession. I am happy to know the source of all the trouble. Please let us know if you decide to visit the east coast of the US again.
Thank you, Scarlett
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:46 PM

KT, are you planning to attend the SF Fodors Get Together this fall? We'd love for you to come, but I think we need advance notice :-0

Search this Thread