Thoughts on this area of London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this cute, affordable flat, but not sure it's the best area for first timers to London.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/greenwich/9983

Would love to hear from London experts on what the area is like and does this rental look legit, so to speak...

Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM

While others may have a different opinion, why would you want to stay way out in Greenwich? You will spend alot of time going back and forth into London. I'd try to find something that is actually IN London.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM

Suggest you get a good map of London.

http://tinyurl.com/5ub45d
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

We wouldn't "want" to stay there, but with budget considerations would not rule out a spot farther from the city's "center".
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM

It's not the best area for first timers to London. Look for something more central.

Bear in mind that trains might take 15mins to get to central London but then you have to factor in the wait for the train, you won't easily be able to return to your accommodation during the day for a rest or change of clothes and there's the cost of train fares.

If there's 2 of you could try Priceline for a hotel room for less per night without the trek.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
yk

1) I do not find the photos "cute"
2) How many of you will be staying there? 2 or 4?
3) For 4 people, 2 will sleep on a sofa bed, and there's only 1 bathroom.

But most importantly, there's NO WAY I'd recommend a first timer to stay there. Not even a second timer or third timer.

Per the website, the closest station is Maze Hill. It is not even part of the tube system. It is a station part of the Southeastern Railway. Even though it says it's 15 minutes to London - it is 15 minutes to London Bridge Station, where you can easily spend another 30 minutes just to get to other sights.

Staying that far will prevent you from the luxury of returning to the flat during the day if you're tired, or if you want to drop off shopping bags, or if you want to change clothes before dinner.

Lastly, the train fare r/t to Maze Hill is £3.80 each day, and that's in addition to any tube/bus/DLR that you will take.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If one had been to London several times - there really would be nothing wrong w/ this place since Greenwich is an interesting and scenic area.

But being so far from the center, for a short and/or first visit I think you can do better. Also, being a lower ground (basement) flat, it would not be my choice.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM

Agree with everyone about distance from center of London. But you also asked about the company--holidaylettings--I've used them in the past and they are very reliable. It appears they've accurately described the flat and the reasonable rent rate reflects the location, nice as it is. While no getting around the distance to center of London, if you're into history a day in Greenwich itself is worthwhile and one sunny day (preferably) you could take the sightseeing boat either from Greenwich up to central London or the reverse, which would give you a great perspective of London from the Thames.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM

We haven't stayed here, but this flat looked nice & is just behine Marble Arch, much closed in the Greenwich.

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Eng...ndon/p1904.htm

I did have an e-mail dialog with the owner and he seemed very nice.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

highflyer - good point about the waiting and such for the train.

yk - you know what they say, 'cute is in the eye of the beholder.' ;-) there'll be two of us, me and DH. hmmm. okay, then. i did think Maze Hill was the nearest 'tube' stop. thank you so much for educating me on this crucial point. that makes a big difference.

cathinjoetown - how long ago did you book with holidaylettings? was it a place in London?

janis - thanks for your kind perspective, and after reading everyone's remarks think, as you said, we can do better.

dcjones - i will check out the link now. thank you so much.

thanks everyone for your truly helpful comments!

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
yk

Hi ChicagoDallasGirl-

If it's just the 2 of you, you should be able to find something closer.

cmcfong stayed at a pretty nice place recently:

<< Author: cmcfong
Date: 04/20/2008, 09:49 pm
The flat was 950 pounds per week, yk. They have some good pictures on the website.http://www.farnum-christ.com/1bedroomsloanegardens.htm >>

Her full trip report is here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35125141
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That Farnum & Christ flat is very nice -- but it also costs nearly twice as much as the Greenwich one.

The Marble Arch one DCJones linked is smaller than Greenwich, but much more central and costs just £95 more.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
yk

doh! Janis- thanks for pointing that out. I knew something wasn't quite right when I posted cmcfong's flat. for some reason, I thought it was similar in price as the Greenwich one. quot;>

ChicagoDallasGirl- What is your budget for lodging? ARe you staying 6 nights total (or is it 7?) Assuming you want to keep your budget at $1000 for 6-7 nights, you are looking at ~$150/n.

I know you'll get more space with a flat, but you can get a reasonable hotel for that price as well by using Hotwire or Priceline.

Travelodge.co.uk also have several properties in central London. Granted they are very basic, they have some decent deals if you book in advance.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Hey yk - I've seen this darling apartment and drool over it each time. Only problem is our budget is about 300 pounds less. I'm trying to stay at around $1,000 for the week, but I'm finding it virtually impossible to book a cute, (there's that word again)centrally located flat, smack in the middle of high season in this price range.

I did find these, however:

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...ing-hill/53635

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...n-zone-1/16652

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ren...n-zone-1/31834
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Hmm. Janis and yk I totally missed your last posts. I think I was writing responses to earlier comments...

Anywho, yes, the flat DCJones found sounds perfect price and location-wise. I'll have to put it on my spreadsheet.

Yes, a total of 7 nights preferably. I began my lodging research with apartments, and may need to begin checking out hotels. We'll see... Wonder if I might find a B&B in that range... I'll have a look-see.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM

HolidayLettings is a site that allows owners to advertise, so it's not really an agency per se. Your dealings are all with the owner. So the website advertises listings, but it will have nothing to do with any issues that might arise when you try to rent the apartment or get your deposit back or whatever.

I won't say it's impossible, but in all the postings here, I've yet to see a B&B in the $150 USD price range that looked better to me than a hotel won on Priceline (typically in the $75-120 range).

London B&Bs are mostly older, small hotels in varying states of repair. In my experience, London Priceline hotels at the 3* and 4* level are pleasant, modern facilities and the worst I could say about the hotels I've had so far is that the decor is bland in some cases. (This is not to say others might have less positive experiences, but you can read the reviews and decide for yourself.)
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM

What's the address of the place in Greenwich (it's firewalled on my work computer which thinks it's a dating site).

There's nowt wrong with Greenwich (well I would say that as I work for 'em) but there are some iffy parts.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:47 AM

Park Vista, CW, which if I recall correctly is the eastern side of the park rather than the King William Walk/Greenwich Theatre side:
http://tinyurl.com/68tete

Not a "bad" area, but a good few minutes' walk from the posher bits of Greenwich (the immediately nearest main street tends to the dustier sort of hardware/household cheapo shop and takewaway food) and from connections for central London. Half an hour to get anywhere you're likely to want to go to (though Greenwich Park is indeed lovely).

And "garden apartment" clearly means (as the photos show) a semi-basement.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:14 AM
yk

Hi ChicagoDallasGirl-

The first apt is just next to Notting Hill Gate tube station; which is to the west of the city.

The 2nd & 3rd apts seem to be in the same neighborhood near St Paul's Cathedral.

I'm not 100% sure about the area of the 1st apt, but I think it's a fine area.

The 2nd apt is only a studio, so I wouldn't choose that since the other 2 are 1 bedroom and cost about the same.

It's a tough choice btw 1 & 3 - depends on what neighborhood you'd like to be in.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:54 AM

The Greenwich Flat is on the edge of nice Greenwich and scratter's area.

If you keep going on the Romney rd you soon get into the less salubrious bits (marked by the King William pub which has the worlds ugliest strippers in). Go the other way past the Queens House and you are soon in the toursit bits (and the DLR).

A weekly travel card including the DLR into town is about £25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -