Search

Tufnell Park area in London?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:43 AM
hms
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tufnell Park area in London?

Has anyone ever stayed in or near the Tuffnell Park area in London?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:18 AM

It's the kind of place most of us had girlfriends in when we first moved to London. It's now, like everywhere in that area, got more gentrified, so it's where your chums who never made much money now live in a perfectly OK (mostly Edwardian) house which, on paper, is worth more than they've earned in the past 30 years put together. Though, as is the way in London, quite rich and famous people there too, as you often get pretty roomy houses by our standards.

Residential, nondescript, a pain for the tube (though OK for buses, and cabs will go there, unlike Hampstead, where they often make a fuss). Like almost everywhere in London outside the tourist ghetto (even places costing a few million quid)it's quite close to some low-rent public-sector housing, so people from less socially integrated parts of the world might be fazed by the neighbours. Don't be, but like everywhere in London, keeps your doors and windows very securely locked.

If house-swapping, could be good to see real London. Personally, I'd drive everywhere from there, and just take the congestion charge as part of the cost of the location. If a hotel claims to be in the area, come back with details, as I don't think there are any.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:45 AM
hms
Original Poster

I have been searching For B&Bs and one such sight directed me to a Europa Hotel
at 62 Ansen Road. I went to a map of the area and it seems to be located very near the schools in the area. Of course much like the states now there was a HM prison close by (not a concern I have one down the street here)
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Assuming you mean ANSON rd, it is close to the Tufnell Park station. But that is on the far reaches of zone 2 and it will take you quite a while to get anywhere. And usually with multiple line changes since the Northern Line does not go to many of the traditional tourist attractions.. Unless you are getting a really great rate (like £25 per night double) it would probably be trouble than it's worth.

But that said - if the B&B looks good and the price is low, it is not a terrible area.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:24 AM

That should read ". . . probably be more trouble than it's worth."
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
hms
Original Poster

How the heck do you make the British pound symbol? Anyway Anson is the correct spelling Thanks. We did get a rate of 72 GBP per night for a quad but since it is so far out I am beginning to rethink this especially since this will be our first trip. Probably will be willing to pay doudble to stay in closer. Any recommendations?
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:19 AM

I just stayed several days at the Five Kings Guesthouse, just down Anson Rd from the Europa Guesthouse you mention. As i walked by it it looked similar to the Five Kings, faded but OK. BUT I had one unnerving experience that may be endemic to guesthouses in blue-collar areas like these outside main tourist areas. I had a basement room and as it was so hot last summer, kept the big window open at night even though i thought i should not have. About 1 am i awake to hear someone shrieking unintelligible garble, but yelling as though he were dying and loudly over and over and flopping around over the railing just above my open window. At first i thought i may be in peril and would be robbed so i quickly locked the window but the screaming went on several minutes until the B&B manager appeared and soon after the ambulance that took the guy away. It seems that the guy was a B&B welfare resident, a drug addict they said. A similar thing happened before in a similar B&B. It seems these places, to make ends meet, may also take in welfare cases; nothing against welfare recipients but in a B&B I don't care to feel like living in a shelter. Otherwise i would not stay there again for other reasons as the price i paid was the same as several agencies in London train stations said they could get me a place near Victoria. (28 pounds!) I guess i was taken but i reserved through B&B GB, a well-known Henley, England agency i saw in Lonely Planet and in BTA info. There was an English Tourist Board approval sign on the door. As for Tufnell Park, I found it easy to get to by tube (Tufnell Park station about a half-mile from Anson Rd) and an interesting area, albeit quite filthy as to litter all over, but not at all touristy but seemingly safe.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:52 AM

So am I safe to assume that the Garfield House B&B 5mins from Tufnell Park Tube isn't worth it?

Oh, this is getting so complicated - trying to find a nice B&B. I might have to break my rule and just stay in a place I have already been.

My last trip was so much easier because most of the time I was put up in people's homes (due to religious affiliations) ... but I didn't want to do that again because I wanted the time alone.