Getting Around Almafi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip planned last week September and base will be Positano. I realize this is not a good base of operation but the villa was gift from son. We realize in one week we can't see everything well and so shall go from Naples to Paestum and Capri, seeing towns along way. Lots to see just in that area I believe without stretching ourselves too thin.

Looking for tips on transportation from Positano.Got the book by Rick Steve and he has cast thoughts of avoiding the trains due to crime unless he meant Naples only.

Any tips appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:31 AM
yk

The "train" referred to by RS is probably the Circumvesuviana commuter train. It only goes as far as Sorrento. In Positano, you either have to take the SITA bus, or ferry.
The CV commuter train is safe. You just need to be aware of your belongings and watch out for pickpockets.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Hi,

Just returned from Italy last week with 5 day's spent in Positano. We had a car (18 Euro a day parking fee) and took it to Naples, Sorrento to Ravello and Amalfi. Had a great time and no problem with any traffic or diring on the coast roads....just take it slow and all is fine.

Enjoy,

John
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:14 AM

We spent four days in Positano as part of our honeymoon trip to Italy. We had a rental car, drove it to Positano, and then parked it (15E/day). We then took the bus to Amalfi and Ravello and the hydrofoil to Capri. We drove to Pompeii from Positano and then on to Rome, our final destination.

We had absolutely no problem with driving on the Amalfi Coast. The roads are small, yes. The turns are sharp, yes. But it was never a truly hair-raising experience, as we had been led to believe it would be. We also had no problems taking the SITA bus to neighboring cities. It was quite safe-feeling.

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM

My husband and I spent 10 days in Positano last year without a car. We think it's a great base for that area. We've stayed near Sorrento but prefer Positano as a base just because it's easier to catch the boats and there are more water activities there.

We arrived by boat from Salerno which is a wonderful way to see Positano for the first time.

Once we were there, we went everywhere by boat except to Ravello. Our friends had a car so we paid a randsom to extract the car from the parking lot and drove up, up, up to Ravello. Lot's of close calls, near misses, backing up, etc. We had already been to Pompeii so didn't need to make an excersion there during our stay. We never ran out of things to do and see using the boating options availabe.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:14 AM
ira

Hi zee,

You might find the Naples and AC prtion of my trip report helpful for hints on getting around by bus and ferry.

We did a daytrip to Paestum.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
You make travel seem so delightful and I am looking at the planning as a labor.
I'm sure all will work out, getting such wonderful info here. As far as your wife and vertigo I myself am dreading the cliffs of Positano. My son certainly did not know my likes and dislikes when he picked this spot!
Hope you see this!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I read your posts and they always make me feel so confident!

If I can get to Ravello and Pasteum by bus and we can entertain ourselves with boat travel, we'll get along just fine.
Guess we'll forget about Rome this trip!
Thanks you! As always value your help!